Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is VR any good with watching movies or mainly playing games?
Right now, knowing what I know, I’ll vote for mainly playing games, because the OR resolution is 1080 x 1200 blown up to fill your field of vision so you’ll see that it appears to be a lower resolution than on your TV or computer monitor. It will not replace the quality of a large screen TV.

Regarding games, it is still developing. As a generalized statement, it presently can’t replace your computer monitor as the primary vehicle to play games for several reasons (controls and content) but it can truly proved several unique experiences like:

Lone Echo which is a freak’n, mind blowing amazing adventure.* You are not looking through your monitor at the exterior and exterior of a space ship, floating above the rings of Saturn. While playing this game, you are inside this ship, it surrounds you, you are navigating through it, and outside it, as you help the Captain with ship maintenance issues, before a cataclysmic event that brings you face to face with an alien presence. As time goes by, I’ll predict there will be more experience which a monitor or large screen TV could not compete with.

* Much of this game is dealing with mechanical issues on and outside your ship, the manipulation of the environment with you virtual hands, but at this stage of VR, it is a tour de force illustrating what VR can do, because you-are-there, out in space. There is no fighting, but you as a robot can get toasted, but the game has a generous death penalty. I think I just talked myself into a replay. :D

491D2739-49ED-4ADE-98ED-BE4D165762D2.png
You are the robot...

4D47B5A4-CA15-4CA5-892C-39B86A515F1A.jpeg
If you want to see more VR game talk, see this thread in the Game Forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vr-game-titles-your-impressions.2062349/

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I have an Oculus Go and I think its awesome. I've watched 3D movies, VR movies, and played games on it, they all look great!

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Vertigo in VR headsets ? Has anyone experienced it ?

What has been your experience using VR ? .a2

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Vertigo in VR headsets ? Has anyone experienced it ?

What has been your experience using VR ? .a2
Yes, vertigo can easily be an issue depending on how a game handles movement and personal tolerance. The issue is your eyes see movement, but your inner ear does not sense it. What makes VR different is that your entire field of vision is in an artificial space, versus watching a monitor or TV, where the visible room surrounding them anchors you.

In some extreme moments, I have felt the wave of nauseousness, but there are games where it can be avoided. Lone Echo is a great game on multiple levels, even as a tech demo, which can be played without getting sick. The Climb is also good.

Most games will include a rating like “mild” or “moderate” to indicate how extreme they are, with personal tolerance playing a role. Some games will use a teleport method of moving where you project a place you want to go to, and during the teleport, the scene fades in and out so as not to jolt your senses. In Lone Echo, you are weightless in a space station and use wrist thrusters to navigate space, nothing jarring. There is a train simulator called Derail Valley, which is in early release, that that relies on teleportation to move across physical space, say walking from the train depot to the train, then not climbing into the train, but teleporting into the engine interior.

Somewhat annoying Derail Valley video. :)

Lone Echo gameplay space walk

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Yes, vertigo can easily be an issue depending on how a game handles movement and personal tolerance. The issue is your eyes see movement, but your inner ear does not sense it. What makes VR different is that your entire field of vision is in an artificial space, versus watching a monitor or TV, where the visible room surrounding them anchors you.

In some extreme moments, I have felt the wave of nauseousness, but there are games where it can be avoided. Lone Echo is a great game on multiple levels, even as a tech demo, which can be played without getting sick. The Climb is also good.

Most games will include a rating like “mild” or “moderate” to indicate how extreme they are, with personal tolerance playing a role. Some games will use a teleport method of moving where you project a place you want to go to, and during the teleport, the scene fades in and out so as not to jolt your senses. In Lone Echo, you are weightless in a space station and use wrist thrusters to navigate space, nothing jarring. There is a train simulator called Derail Valley, which is in early release, that that relies on teleportation to move across physical space, say walking from the train depot to the train, then not climbing into the train, but teleporting into the engine interior.

Somewhat annoying Derail Valley video. :)

Lone Echo gameplay space walk
Thanks Huntn, Just what I needed to see. I can handle that. I Have tasted vertigo, though very long ago, I remember it well.

Early in flight training doing spins off shore SoCal, (not PIC), looked down out my window and there was the sky, and clouds. Whoops! Wrong side up. But not. LOL. a2

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks Huntn, Just what I needed to see. I can handle that. I Have tasted vertigo, though very long ago, I remember it well.

Early in flight training doing spins off shore SoCal, (not PIC), looked down out my window and there was the sky, and clouds. Whoops! Wrong side up. But not. LOL. a2
When I instructed in the Navy, we did both occilitory and non-occilitory (my spelling is dicked up) spins, which were pretty rough. I used to have the student, crank the rudder pedals up, so they could not lock their knees, which would make it difficult for the instructor to recover. In fact at my training squadron (Kingsville, Texas 1980ish)) we lost a T2 doing spins, fortunately the pilots ejected out. At the crash site, the tail was sitting directly on top of the Wings, angered straight in.

As far as the rough VR games, they might be the ones involving dog fighting, a title like Elite Dangerous which I have played, with a monitor, but not in VR, I mean they would be great because you can look over your shoulder, but you might experience some zings. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: a2jack

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
When I instructed in the Navy, we did both occilitory and non-occilitory (my spelling is dicked up) spins, which were pretty rough. I used to have the student, crank the rudder pedals up, so they could not lock their knees, which would make it difficult for the instructor to recover. In fact at my training squadron (Kingsville, Texas 1980ish)) we lost a T2 doing spins, fortunately the pilots ejected out. At the crash site, the tail was sitting directly on top of the Wings, angered straight in.

As far as the rough VR games, they might be the ones like dog fighting, a title like Elite Dangerous which I have played, with a monitor, but not in VR, I mean they would be great because you can look over your shoulder, but you might experience some zings. :D

As far as the rough VR games, they might be the ones like dog fighting, a title like Elite Dangerous which I have played, with a monitor, but not in VR, I mean they would be great because you can look over your shoulder, but you might experience some zings. :D

Q: but you might experience some zings. :D[/QUOTE]

Yes , I will probably try some of those and a flight sim.

I see you have the Rift and I note there is another new one out there at about $400. Since I'm trying to sneak up on this VR thing I'll start out with a monitor and see how it goes...(While looking over my shoulder.) LOL

Do you fly at all now ? The ache here is still very strong, but It was time to walk away.

See you on the Flight Forum, I'll make a post there on what triggered this memory of vertigo. Thanks for input, I sure came to right place to ask. LOL. a2

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Q: but you might experience some zings. :D

Yes , I will probably try some of those and a flight sim.

I see you have the Rift and I note there is another new one out there at about $400. Since I'm trying to sneak up on this VR thing I'll start out with a monitor and see how it goes...(While looking over my shoulder.) LOL

Do you fly at all now ? The ache here is still very strong, but It was time to walk away.

See you on the Flight Forum, I'll make a post there on what triggered this memory of vertigo. Thanks for input, I sure came to right place to ask. LOL. a2
Happy to help. :) I only fly as a passenger, these days. I had retired before my first bout of vertigo which would have ended my aviation career, anyway. I don’t miss flying, but it was fun for 30+ years. :)

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
We have a New Forum , thanks to Steve. VR and aVR , now, under "Special Interests".

BTW. Love the train drive, first VR I've ever seen. Those "hands" are a bit clumsy but all that stuff will smooth out with time and use. Always wanted to drive a train.

Also a laugh at grabbing the manual. My dad always said, "Get the book" LOL .

I'll make a post on the new forum tonight. A2

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We have a New Forum , thanks to Steve. VR and aVR , now, under "Special Interests".

BTW. Love the train drive, first VR I've ever seen. Those "hands" are a bit clumsy but all that stuff will smooth out with time and use. Always wanted to drive a train.

Also a laugh at grabbing the manual. My dad always said, "Get the book" LOL .

I'll make a post on the new forum tonight. A2
See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-apple-be-competitive-in-vr-gaming.2185825/

Reactions: a2jack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.