Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

layzarc

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Couldn't wait any longer. Purchased my first PC after 15-years of only Macs. Its a refurbished (but warranted with in-home service) high-end gaming PC that I would probably need to spend at least twice (maybe 3 times) the money to get a new Mac Pro with the same performance.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
The XDR Spects List the Following Available reference modes:
  • HDR Video (P3-ST 2084)
  • HDTV Video (BT.709-BT.1886)
  • NTSC Video (BT.601 SMPTE-C)
  • PAL and SECAM Video (BT.601 EBU)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-DCI)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-D65)
  • Design and Print (P3-D50)
  • Photography (P3-D65)
  • Internet and Web (sRGB)
Is there enough information above to determine which mode is best to edit cinematic 6K video in FCPX? Does it come down to preference? Is there a thought as to what the default mode will be straight out of the box?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
The XDR Spects List the Following Available reference modes:

• HDR Video (P3-ST 2084)
  • HDTV Video (BT.709-BT.1886)
  • NTSC Video (BT.601 SMPTE-C)
  • PAL and SECAM Video (BT.601 EBU)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-DCI)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-D65)
  • Design and Print (P3-D50)
  • Photography (P3-D65)
  • Internet and Web (sRGB)

Is there enough information above to determine which mode is best to edit cinematic 6K video in FCPX? Does it come down to preference? Is there a thought as to what the default mode will be straight out of the box?

Reactions: OkiRun

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I think it’s insane that Apple isn’t communicating about this. I’ve got approval, but corporate hounds want pricing details and I can’t give them anything and they look at me like a fool. I give them a 11-16k range and am just guessing at this point.

Reactions: OkiRun

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
That waiting now will be nothing compared to holding out a few years down the line for the then much needed hardware refresh. :)

Re: hackintosh - what's that like when you are not the type to upgrade your OS constantly? If you just stick it out for a few years and all you are after is a reliable and fast computer to run software like FCP, not something to pair your Apple watch with or hook up an ipad as a Wacom replacement - is it not a workable solution?

Reactions: majus

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
My 2010 MP is still running great. But I do CG stuff for fun and I wonder how much more fun it will be on hardware that isn't from a decade ago. My patience is now paper thin. I was really considering buying a PC, given the state of CUDA, OpenGL/CL, 64-bit apps etc. This is Apple's last roll of the dice with me, and I wish it'd bloody HURRY UP.

Reactions: kjohansen

kjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Oregon
I hear ya, this will be my last dance with a Mac for sure.. My 3,1 has lasted 11 years and been running great...

peletrane

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
LOL. I spilled some water on the keyboard of my 2007 Mac Pro, now the keys don't work. Some of the internal hard drives had to be replaced years ago and the DVD drive died around the same time as well.

Other than that, still works, ok.

Gonna buy the new one. And use the Barclays Card Financing.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
LOL. I spilled some water on the keyboard of my 2007 Mac Pro, now the keys don't work. Some of the internal hard drives had to be replaced years ago and the DVD drive died around the same time as well.

Other than that, still works, ok.

Gonna buy the new one. And use the Barclays Card Financing.

I think the Barclay's-Apple deal went away with the release of the Apple Card. Apple business accounts have some financing options but your commercial bank may have better lease terms.

edit: never mind, @majus corrected me below, it still exists.

Last edited:

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
I think the Barclay's-Apple deal went away with the release of the Apple Card. Apple business accounts have some financing options but your commercial bank may have better lease terms.
No, it is still there. At the very bottom of store.apple.com, click on "Financing" and you will be shown the two choices: Apple Card or BarclayCard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.