Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
They won't wait that late. Too many will have spent all their money by then except for businesses.
Note that the US tax code that my company runs under stipulates that a purchase has to be ordered, delivered, AND PUT IN SERVICE by the end of the quarter to qualify for that quarter.

Creating the purchase requisition by the end of the quarter doesn't count.

Submitting the purchase order to the vendor by the end of the quarter doesn't count.

Receiving the order by the end of the quarter doesn't count.

Having the system online by the end of the quarter counts.

It's already too late to place an order this year for me. End of quarter is 27 Dec. With the Saturnalia holidays that basically leaves three weeks before things shut down. If systems were available tomorrow morning at 08:00 - it's too late.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
What are you doing that will make use of three XDRs hanging off of one mMP?

The XDR can be driven by other Macs. The XDR and the Mac Pro aren't going to sell one-to-one most of the time. They each have other options for a partner.
[automerge]1575302285[/automerge]
I was hoping to have one delivered with three XDR displays by Christmas. Don't think it'll happen.

The shipping time and volume of production capacity for the XDR is also an unknown quantity a this point too. BTO shortages of the Mac Pro are likely. But the demand bubble mismatch for supply for the XDR may actually be worse.
[automerge]1575302896[/automerge]
They won't wait that late. Too many will have spent all their money by then except for businesses.

People who are borrowing aren't using current money anyway. There will be more "future" money after they spent their holidays (or 'end of the year' ) money .

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

Tax years are a pain. I don't want to be costing something into the next year. Hiring is already frozen and expense cut off is around 15th December.

One would hope that they don't take this long to release it, but given the record, I am doubtful.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Tax years are a pain. I don't want to be costing something into the next year. Hiring is already frozen and expense cut off is around 15th December.

One would hope that they don't take this long to release it, but given the record, I am doubtful.
Why would Apple want to bring down everyone's holiday mood with early BTO Mac Pro 7.1 prices? iPhone, iMini, iWatch, and Macbooks are selling great and with discounts; it's a festive, party mood in the land of Apple. Best to wait until the last possible day for the shock. I have some Ativan ready...

Reactions: Average Pro

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Links?

And what's an "iMini"?
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/07/apple-reports-third-quarter-results/
Macs doing well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...d-mean-wearables-business-soars/#50e2e80a4643
It was another sensational wuarter for wearables with growth near 50%.

iPhone sales are lower than previous quarters but still account for 52% of 2019 revenues.

https://ceoworld.biz/2019/06/28/the-top-100-best-performing-companies-in-the-world-2019/
With a market value of $961 billion, Apple has been recognized as the best performing company in the world by market value for 2019, according to CEOWORLD magazine, while Microsoft ($946) and Amazon ($916 billion) placed second and third, respectively.

The iMini is available only to select costumers.

Reactions: Average Pro

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Oh yah! And wait for the Apple AirPods Pro. There's a massive demand. I was in Korea when they hit the Apple store. Sold out immediately. I ordered mine the moment they became available on B&H.

Why would Apple want to bring down everyone's holiday mood with early BTO Mac Pro 7.1 prices? iPhone, iMini, iWatch, and Macbooks are selling great and with discounts; it's a festive, party mood in the land of Apple. Best to wait until the last possible day for the shock. I have some Ativan ready...

Reactions: OkiRun

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
So you’re saying that the BTO prices are bad?

I’ve finally received my budget allowance for the thing which I’ll have to fight for next year if I don’t use it this year. This is not a discussion I want with the finance team. Though it looks pretty good to blame Apple for it, I’d rather no have to go through the process again.

archimacpro

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
NZ
That would be fantastic - 1 graphics card slot, upgradable memory & SSD, small form factor w no thermal issues & portable like the trashcan. Even at $3k, I'm in. More rumors please.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I’ve finally received my budget allowance for the thing which I’ll have to fight for next year if I don’t use it this year. This is not a discussion I want with the finance team. Though it looks pretty good to blame Apple for it, I’d rather no have to go through the process again.
Management is so screwed up at so many companies. Letting the fiscal cycle dictate that kind of thing is utter stupidity.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Following GAAP practices and SEC rules is not stupidity.
I'm not talking about breaking rules. I'm talking about saying, "Yes, we deem this important enough to buy if you buy it before the end of this fiscal cycle. But not if you buy it next fiscal cycle." Surely, GAAP practices and SEC rules don't dictate that kind of foolishness.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm not talking about breaking rules. I'm talking about saying, "Yes, we deem this important enough to buy if you buy it before the end of this fiscal cycle. But not if you buy it next fiscal cycle." Surely, GAAP practices and SEC rules don't dictate that kind of foolishness.
I somewhat agree - except for the confusion here about "fiscal cycle" vs. "calendar cycle". My company has an October to September fiscal year. There's really nothing special about 31 Dec/1 Jan. If I place an order for a purchase in the Oct-Dec quarter, and delivery slips to January - it's not a big deal (at least for things in the six digits and below - seven digits and above have issues).

However, if I place an order in September and it doesn't ship until October, there are issues.

• I forfeit the Aug-Sep budget. Gone.
  • The order hits the Oct-Dec budget, possibly blowing away plans for other Oct-Dec purchases.
I think that [U]ct2k7's[/U] issue is that he has a verbal or email agreement from management/finance to buy something this quarter - but the lack of a "buy now" button at apple.com means that he'll have to renegotiate the approval next year.

Apple doesn't understand corporate purchasing, and never has. But they will sell you a watch or a phone.

Reactions: ct2k7 and ssgbryan

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I somewhat agree - except for the confusion here about "fiscal cycle" vs. "calendar cycle". My company has an October to September fiscal year. There's really nothing special about 31 Dec/1 Jan. If I place an order for a purchase in the Oct-Dec quarter, and delivery slips to January - it's not a big deal (at least for things in the six digits and below - seven digits and above have issues).
No, I understand fiscal cycles and that they don't always correspond to calendar cycles (which is why I said "fiscal cycle" not "calendar cycle". We have fiscal cycles where I work too. However, we have somewhat intelligent management in that in deciding the timing of purchases, the fiscal cycle is way down the priority list of things to consider.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Management is so screwed up at so many companies. Letting the fiscal cycle dictate that kind of thing is utter stupidity.
It’s what happens when you work for a Fortune 100 company :/ and in my case, an investment bank with missed figures.

but we’re also bound by rulessaying the purchase must be operational and in use by EoY

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The Mac Pro may be released in conjunction with 10.15.2. There hasn’t been a beta released since November 20th so I think we’re getting very close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.