Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Although I wasn't expecting, I was hoping a non-Pro Display from Apple announced alongside 16-inch MacBook Pro.

All it really needs are 5K panel from 5K iMac (10-bit P3 5K, 500 nits brightness) and Thunderbolt 3 ports inside now defunct 27" Thunderbolt Display chassis, ideally with new speakers from iMac and reduced bezel size.

No XDR (mini LED backlighting 1600 nits peak brightness, 1M to 1 contrast ratio) for $1499 starting price against 27-inch iMac's $1799 starting price. Heck, I would even pay the same $1799 for such monitor.

SomeMacGuy

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Nova Scotia
I'm with you on this 100%. Currently running a maxed-out 2015 15" MBP and a Thunderbolt Display and I am very hesitant to upgrade until there is a genuine replacement for the TBD. Like you, I'd pay as much or more than a base 27" iMac for it because I really do not want plastic LG crap on my desk. I'm kind of hoping that calling it the "Pro Display XDR" instead of the "Pro Display" leaves the door open for this product. It seems like some sanity is returning to Apple, the 16" MBP is a step in the right direction. It seems like this might be a stop-gap appeasement product to buy them more time for a redesign which is already overdue.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Here it is: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HMUB2B/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

It's not perfect, but I think it's the closest we're going to get. I thought that the old LG 5K being out of stock everywhere meant the Apple 5K Thunderbolt 3 display was imminent - alas, it just got replaced with another LG one.

It's not as pretty as my old TBD, but the panel is amazing, and I've even come to appreciate the utilitarian stand which lets me set it at a more comfortable height. I'd still love a first-party solution, but Apple have displayed (;)) very little interest in the past few years. Combine that with zero indication from people such as Kuo or Gurman that one is ever coming, and I think you have your answer...

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Although I wasn't expecting, I was hoping a non-Pro Display from Apple announced alongside 16-inch MacBook Pro.

All it really needs are 5K panel from 5K iMac (10-bit P3 5K, 500 nits brightness) and Thunderbolt 3 ports inside now defunct 27" Thunderbolt Display chassis, ideally with new speakers from iMac and reduced bezel size.

No XDR (mini LED backlighting 1600 nits peak brightness, 1M to 1 contrast ratio) for $1499 starting price against 27-inch iMac's $1799 starting price. Heck, I would even pay the same $1799 for such monitor.

Does it have to be from Apple ?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

I feel your pain. I would buy two 5K displays in a heartbeat if they were around $1.5k.
I love the XDR but at $7k (nano/stand) is insanity. Yes, I get it it is a fair value for what it offers but I just want a lower spec option at the right price.
My feeling is that Apple won't give us that anytime soon unfortunately.

Reactions: nutmac

MacInMotion

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008

I feel your pain. I would buy two 5K displays in a heartbeat if they were around $1.5k.

What is it that is missing from the LG 27" Ultrafine (Apple Model HMUB2LL, LG Model 27MD5KL-B.AUSA, UPC 719192624993) hat you are looking for? 5K pixels, 10-bit P3, 500 nits, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports, built-in stereo speakers, camera, and microphone, list price from Apple of $1,299.95.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
After ~12 months with a couple of Dell displays I’m not bothered about whether it says apple on it or not, but god damn would some keyboard control for brightness be nice.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
What is it that is missing from the LG 27" Ultrafine (Apple Model HMUB2LL, LG Model 27MD5KL-B.AUSA, UPC 719192624993) hat you are looking for? 5K pixels, 10-bit P3, 500 nits, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports, built-in stereo speakers, camera, and microphone, list price from Apple of $1,299.95.
Mainly the design. LG is capable of making a good looking display, such as 32UD99-W. But the UltraFine just reeks of ThinkPad-inspired design.

Reactions: cliftonlabrum

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
No offense to those that like it, but I think the LG 27 Ultrafine enclosure, fit and finish, is hideous junk and it's mind blowing that Apple even puts that in their stores.
It is so ugly that I have to think LG did it intentionally to sabotage Apple. Several of my coworkers are using it, and it is just so much uglier in person. I am still using Apple's non-retina Thunderbolt Display because I just can't stand the way those monitors look.

Many of their monitors and TVs are quite beautiful, especially OLED TVs. But I want 5K, and good looking 5K monitors are non existent.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
It is so ugly that I have to think LG did it intentionally to sabotage Apple. Several of my coworkers are using it, and it is just so much uglier in person. I am still using Apple's non-retina Thunderbolt Display because I just can't stand the way those monitors look.

I think it's nonsense. UltraFine design is utilitarian. It fades into background and gets out of the way the moment you turn it on. The quality of the screen itself is very good, and it's a great value for the price.

Would I have liked a 6K XDR display for a bit less money? You bet. But not because of its pretty frame, and because it's a major upgrade from a 5K display.

Will Apple be releasing their own branded version of 5K display? Not a chance. And why would they? UltraFine already has everyone one needs in a 5K display, minus shiny aluminum frame and Apple logo.

My next display upgrade will be a 6K or 8K screen - it won’t be replqcing a perfectly good 5K display with another one with Apple logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: frou

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Stale old non-Retina text-rendering is far more offensive to the eyes than a monitor casing. The monitor casing would have to be neon with spikes to tip the balance the other way.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Stale old non-Retina text-rendering is far more offensive to the eyes than a monitor casing. The monitor casing would have to be neon with spikes to tip the balance the other way.
Design is certainly subjective and some people have more tolerance. I am certainly not going to criticize people from buying UltraFine 5K.

I just don't want ugly looking thing on my desk, something I use several hours a day. I am pretty tempted to place an order for LG 32UL950-W which looks pretty good to me overall, but its lowly 4K resolution (over 31.5" screen) stops me.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I have low tolerance for bad text rendering. It's only gotten worse for non-Retina screens since Mojave where Apple removed/screwed-up subpixel antialiasing.

At present, we can either optimise for when the monitor is in use (fidelity) or optimise for when it's turned off (case design).

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Design is certainly subjective and some people have more tolerance. I am certainly not going to criticize people from buying UltraFine 5K.

I just don't want ugly looking thing on my desk, something I use several hours a day. I am pretty tempted to place an order for LG 32UL950-W which looks pretty good to me overall, but its lowly 4K resolution (over 31.5" screen) stops me.

I actually prefer the 5K design over the LG 32UL950, I really don't like the contrasting white back with the front. The 5K also looks a lot cleaner on the back with it's straight lines and no logo's or other distracting stuff. Of course that's only a thing if the back of your monitor is visible. Front is ok for me, you see the thicker bezels on all affordable 5K screens (Dell and Iiyama) since it's also because technical limitations. The 6K Apple display doesn't have those but also is a lot more expensive.

Reactions: user74246

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Currently using a 2013 iMac and a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. Looking to consolidate the two into one machine, possibly the 16" MacBook Pro. I have a use case where I want to consolidate my setup when working form home. I want a dual display setup. Need the display to have multiple inputs (USBC/TB3 for MacBook Pro and Display Port for the docking station hosting my work Lenovo T480. 5K Display does not do this as far as I know. I don't want to have to disconnect the USB C cable when switching between the two setups. The 5K display is also PC Incompatible and has no buttons to controll brightness from what I have read. The LG 32UL950 seems to be the best monitor that foots that bill. Colour accuracy a must.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Currently using a 2013 iMac and a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. Looking to consolidate the two into one machine, possibly the 16" MacBook Pro. I have a use case where I want to consolidate my setup when working form home. I want a dual display setup. Need the display to have multiple inputs (USBC/TB3 for MacBook Pro and Display Port for the docking station hosting my work Lenovo T480. 5K Display does not do this as far as I know. I don't want to have to disconnect the USB C cable when switching between the two setups. The 5K display is also PC Incompatible and has no buttons to controll brightness from what I have read. The LG 32UL950 seems to be the best monitor that foots that bill. Colour accuracy a must.

Depends on what colour profile you're looking for. If you need Adobe RGB and/or sRGB you can also take a look at the Asus Proart displays, they're beautiful and have more conistent backlight. BenQ also makes great 4K displays: BenQ SW271 and upcoming SW321. I prefer DCI-P3 and the higher 500 nits brightness for my work...

I find a huge plus of the 5k monitors the retina rendering, I used the 32UD99 (which I think is an older version of the LG you mention) at 4K and found all UI too small. At full retina, double the pixels, everything is too large. But again, all needs require a different monitor and the LG 5K is not made for PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: ender78

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
I am still using Apple's non-retina Thunderbolt Display because I just can't stand the way those monitors look.

Same here brother.
Understand you 100%

I spending 8-12h a day looking at monitor, using Thunderbolt Display to make my work more pleasant. I’m grateful that XDR Pro Display will be my next one, yes, expensive, but I prefer spend more money than torture myself with crappy plastic frame (if I don’t have to).

Reactions: gugy and SomeMacGuy

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
[automerge]1575133290[/automerge]
Depends on what colour profile you're looking for. If you need Adobe RGB and/or sRGB you can also take a look at the Asus Proart displays, they're beautiful and have more conistent backlight. BenQ also makes great 4K displays: BenQ SW271 and upcoming SW321. I prefer DCI-P3 and the higher 500 nits brightness for my work...

I find a huge plus of the 5k monitors the retina rendering, I used the 32UD99 (which I think is an older version of the LG you mention) at 4K and found all UI too small. At full retina, double the pixels, everything is too large. But again, all needs require a different monitor and the LG 5K is not made for PC.

Thanks for the input. Not a pro but a serious amateur so having accurate colour is a must. BenQ is a winner in that category. I bit the bullet and bought the 16" MBP this morning. Now to finalize the monitor decision. Such tough choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.