Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I am still using Apple's non-retina Thunderbolt Display because I just can't stand the way those monitors look.

I am in the same boat. I still have two ACD 30” displays, they're still solid but the resolution to today’s standards are quite low. The best feature for me is the matte screen. I work on a bright environment and I could not stand the glare of TB displays. I’m curious to see the nano tech on the XDR if indeed fixes this issue.
its a bummer Apple won’t offer a 5k display. The current competitors have just fugly design enclosures.

Last edited:

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
I would not doubt that within a couple years after the XDR is out Apple could commission LG to make an LG Ultrafine 6k at 32 inches.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Any recommendations on what we should get to replace our ThunderBolt Displays?
I think we're still somewhat in a transitionary period for displays, particularly in terms of connectivity. Give it a couple of years for TB3 (or even USB4) to get more traction on the PC side, and I think that'll produce a lot more options for the "one cable for everything" type display.

I've been pretty impressed with the Dell 4k (P2415Q) displays I bought and based on the experience with them, I would likely buy Dell displays again when I need to replace these, if Apple's still leaving the 'average' display market to third parties, but they're definitely not a "1 cable" solution if that's important for you.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
You're probably right. Any recommendations on what we should get to replace our ThunderBolt Displays?

It really depends on what you're looking for... any wishes in terms of colour, size, connectivity an resolution? Do you use it for browsing, office, gaming or like a graphics pro.

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
On my Cinema Display 27" I'm still waiting for a new one, my one will break soon - only works after multiple times reconnecting via MDP when it has been unplugged :(

If I need to get regular screens I may also switch the whole plattform... Doesn't matter if I run DragonBSD, FreeBSD or macOSX - only runs ootb smooth. (I'm dev)

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
It really depends on what you're looking for... any wishes in terms of colour, size, connectivity an resolution? Do you use it for browsing, office, gaming or like a graphics pro.
I think we're all Mac people here. With that being the case, I think we all know that Apple removed sub-pixel antialiasing in macOS Mojave. Without it, any non-Retina displays look blurrier then they used to. My Thunderbolt Display suffers from that exact issue.

What I really want is something like the LG Ultrafine, but in a casing that's not an eyesore. Not much else matters. I'd want high-refresh, but I understand and accept that high refresh just isn't feasible on high resolution displays.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
I think we're all Mac people here. With that being the case, I think we all know that Apple removed sub-pixel antialiasing in macOS Mojave. Without it, any non-Retina displays look blurrier then they used to. My Thunderbolt Display suffers from that exact issue.

What I really want is something like the LG Ultrafine, but in a casing that's not an eyesore. Not much else matters. I'd want high-refresh, but I understand and accept that high refresh just isn't feasible on high resolution displays.

There are only like 3 or 4 other 5K displays which are (in my opinion) all uglier then the LG and all have thick bezels due to technical reasons. So the display you want doesn't exist yet. I must say the LG 5K looks much better in real life. Only the stand is flimsy which I replaced with a nice monitor arm. Due to work related stuff I now work on a 32" 4K BenQ pd3220u which is also nice but I think I prefer the LG 5K: real retina, 500 nits, great colour, and since I switched to usb-c: really usable ports ;-).

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Only the stand is flimsy which I replaced with a nice monitor arm.
Really?! From all the photos and reviews, the cylindrical stand was the only part of the package I genuinely liked and thought looked good… this is disappointing to say the least.

The other monitor I like is the Samsung CRG90, and it's a high-refresh ultrawide. I love the look, and the very real potential for new and more robust workflows. The only downside is that it's dual-QHD, meaning the pixel density is the exact same as my current Thunderbolt Display. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.