Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I made a purchase with an iPhone at a grocery store using the default, an Apple credit card (TJ's).

But the Wallet app shows it as being made at another grocery store (Safeway). Calling the credit card company, Goldman, they show it correctly...as a charge at TJ's. So why does the Wallet show the incorrect store? I thought the selling point of this card was keeping good records, but it can't even seem to get the most basic info correct. Going to be a nightmare if I travel. Anyone else see this sort of mistake? And I note it seems to be repeated with an older transaction.

Guess I'll have to go through a whole mess with Goldman to get an accurate statement. Aaargh.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I made a purchase with an iPhone at a grocery store using the default, an Apple credit card (TJ's).

But the Wallet app shows it as being made at another grocery store (Safeway). Calling the credit card company, Goldman, they show it correctly...as a charge at TJ's. So why does the Wallet show the incorrect store? I thought the selling point of this card was keeping good records, but it can't even seem to get the most basic info correct. Going to be a nightmare if I travel. Anyone else see this sort of mistake? And I note it seems to be repeated with an older transaction.

Guess I'll have to go through a whole mess with Goldman to get an accurate statement. Aaargh.
Do you have Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Apple Pay Merchant Identification enabled?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

What do you see on Apple Maps for the location? The charge item will be called whatever the merchant names the business with the terminal processor but the location info in Wallet should come from maps doing its best to guess.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Sorry; failed to get back here promptly.

Yes, the setting is properly entered in Privacy.

And clicking on the transaction shows it occurred far away from where it really occurred, so the GPS detail is off as well as the vendor name (but again, Goldman has the correct info). Not even close. So the merchant obviously has it correct. If Maps determines what a credit card app lists as the vendor I'm done with the Apple Credit Card; that would be stupid beyond belief. Imagine if you happened to get gas near Cruella's House of Bondage.... And I doubt the IRS is going to accept the excuse that Apple Maps got it wrong and yes, it really is a deductible item as claimed on my return (although perhaps even the IRS recognizes the inaccuracy of Apple Maps... ? )

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Chatted with Apple. One can self-correct the merchant name, although rather lame and I'm not sure that the change will show up on the month end PDF statement you can download. Have to wait and see for the end of the month. And the map location can't be corrected per them. And I don't want to explain self corrections to people when I need to provide proof.

Given that every other credit card app I have is accurate, that's the end of the line with the Apple Card for me unless maybe I get some benefit if I need to make purchases in say an Apple Store, which I assume they can get right. Just kind of bizarre that a tech company's card is more whack than everyone else's. Go figure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry; failed to get back here promptly.

Yes, the setting is properly entered in Privacy.

And clicking on the transaction shows it occurred far away from where it really occurred, so the GPS detail is off as well as the vendor name (but again, Goldman has the correct info). Not even close. So the merchant obviously has it correct. If Maps determines what a credit card app lists as the vendor I'm done with the Apple Credit Card; that would be stupid beyond belief. Imagine if you happened to get gas near Cruella's House of Bondage.... And I doubt the IRS is going to accept the excuse that Apple Maps got it wrong and yes, it really is a deductible item as claimed on my return (although perhaps even the IRS recognizes the inaccuracy of Apple Maps... ? )
From what I've read in some other threads it seems that the actual usual credit card merchant details are there if you click through into the transactions, it's just that the more "user friendly" identification that Apple provides in the Wallet app can potentially be off based on the identification mechanism that is used and the data that is available to that mechanism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.