Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperDuperMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
Hi,

I have a big CD collection that I recently got back from my parents after visiting home from college. I’d say about 120 CDs. These are all mine and have started collecting them since I was in middle school, am in university now. I leave back to university in less than a month and I want to take the CDs with me. My folks have kept them in a box in their attic and I think I’d want to import them all into my 2015 MBP. I have the external SuperDrive.

Is there a program that will automatically add the music and album info into iTunes after or during I import each CD?

I wouldn’t mind manually entering each album info (i.e. artist, album name, even lyrics ideally) if it was just a few CDs but considering I’ve been paying for Spotify the past 2 years, I’d much prefer to import my CDs once for good. My 256gb iPhone can hold them all I’d suppose and my 1TB can hold them all as well.

Wouldn’t mind paying for the program that can help me with this. Ideally whatever program works best would be ideal. Thank you!!!

PS: if it can include album artwork that would be PERFECT!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Is there a program that will automatically add the music and album info into iTunes after or during I import each CD?
Yup, iTunes does it prior to ripping.
[doublepost=1567043231][/doublepost]Ripping a huge CD collection on iTunes is super easy. You can even have it automatically start importing as soon as you put a CD in, and it will eject it after the import, so you can move on to your next disc.

Unless you have free space issues on your MBP, I would use the highest AAC bitrate, or better. The default is low.

Reactions: artfossil

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
A quick how-to:

Go to the menubar and select iTunes>Preferences>General and Make sure you have this setting check to have iTunes automatically find the metadata for the CDs:
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 9.58.26 PM.png

To quickly rip you CDs, click this setting to import a CD when inserted and eject when done:
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 9.57.45 PM.png

Click import settings and select your encoder, I suggest AAC as it is a good balance between quality and size:
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 10.05.52 PM.png

If selecting AAC, go to settings and click "custom":
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 10.07.39 PM.png

I suggest selecting Stereo Bit Rate at least 256 kbps, I personally can't tell the difference between 320 kbps and listening to a CD, so that would be better:
Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 10.08.08 PM.png

Reactions: mikzn

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I tried a test CD and it ripped fine, but I get this error message:
iTunes.png

Is there a way around this so my songs appear on my iPhone as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.