Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
We all know with iOS/iPad OS 13, Apple introduced the dashboard view into CarPlay. This allows you to view a few "cards" of information on a single screen, which is helpful for driving when you want to view maps, music, etc.

To my knowledge, at present, you can only use Apple Maps as the map application in the dashboard view. Is anyone aware of a way to change this, or have a list of apps that do or plan to support this?

The dashboard functionality makes CarPlay much more useful, but I don't always want to use just Apple Maps.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We all know with iOS/iPad OS 13, Apple introduced the dashboard view into CarPlay. This allows you to view a few "cards" of information on a single screen, which is helpful for driving when you want to view maps, music, etc.

To my knowledge, at present, you can only use Apple Maps as the map application in the dashboard view. Is anyone aware of a way to change this, or have a list of apps that do or plan to support this?

The dashboard functionality makes CarPlay much more useful, but I don't always want to use just Apple Maps.

No plans as far as I have seen/read for Apple to expand the options. It's a shame for sure... but really seems to be the way it is.

The fact that practically any audio app works and is displayable in the Dashboard seems to reinforce the fact that Apple will not be giving us that option for mapping apps.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
My guess is it'll one of those things Apple keeps locked - so you use their maps - until they give in and unlock it in a future OS. It took 5 OS versions for them to allow third party maps in CarPlay

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
For a while on CarPlay you could only use Apple Maps full stop before this was opened up to Waze, Google Maps etc to be available on there. I suspect somewhere down the line the same will happen with the dashboard view in that its opened up but until they do that its Apple Maps only in there.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
For a while on CarPlay you could only use Apple Maps full stop before this was opened up to Waze, Google Maps etc to be available on there. I suspect somewhere down the line the same will happen with the dashboard view in that its opened up but until they do that its Apple Maps only in there.
Or, basically everything I just said :)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I'm able to show music on my car's dashboard outside of CarPlay, so this isn't the end of the world, but is more frustrating than anything else. Hope iOS 14 fixes this restriction.

With Google Maps now containing Waze driving warnings, I was hoping to ditch Waze and move back to Google Maps from Apple Maps to have one map app on my phone, that also worked flawlessly with CarPlay. Looks like I'll need to reconsider.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Google Maps won't show Waze updates, only those reported in Google Maps. Plus, there's no mention of it working in CarPlay only on the iOS app.

Google does own Waze but they are still separate apps

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I still don't have Google Maps showing Waze warnings. Does anyone else?
Waze will show alerts in Waze

Google with only show traffic.
Google Maps won't show Waze updates, only those reported in Google Maps. Plus, there's no mention of it working in CarPlay only on the iOS app.

Google does own Waze but they are still separate apps

That’s really annoying. You’d think Google would bridge the reporting from Waze to Google Maps and vice Versa.

I guess I’ll keep Apple Maps for general directions and Waze for the car for now.

Best outcome here would be Google Maps having all the alerts from Waze, and Google Maps being able to be used on iOS 13 CarPlay Dashboard. Maybe next year..

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That’s really annoying. You’d think Google would bridge the reporting from Waze to Google Maps and vice Versa.

I guess I’ll keep Apple Maps for general directions and Waze for the car for now.

Best outcome here would be Google Maps having all the alerts from Waze, and Google Maps being able to be used on iOS 13 CarPlay Dashboard. Maybe next year..

Not a fan of Google maps... much prefer Waze... would love to see Waze in the dashboard, though.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Currently i'm using Apple Maps for directions etc mainly for the fact i have a lot of stuff in my calendar and maps pretty much picks up the right destination for me most of the time but then i will also start Waze and it gives me the alerts from there as well for speed cameras and other main alerts. Works quite well. I have Google Maps as well but tend to only use that for navigating to a business if Apple Maps isnt 100% sure where it is....then i edit Apple Maps to correct it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

I’m disappointed too but there is a solution:

Launch Waze in CarPlay and then launch Google Maps in CarPlay. Enter your destination in Google Maps only. With Waze running in the background and Google Maps in the foreground you will get police and all the other alerts as visual notifications and audio notifications atop Google Maps.

Reactions: Dwalls90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.