Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
If it's blocking useful sites that you think are legitimately applicable for what you're doing on the school's network, talk to the administrator.

You're using they're network - you play by their rules. If you want full access, find your own ISP and use that instead.

I suppose that's just the father in me talking...:rolleyes:

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
emw said:
If it's blocking useful sites that you think are legitimately applicable for what you're doing on the school's network, talk to the administrator.

You're using they're network - you play by their rules. If you want full access, find your own ISP and use that instead.

I suppose that's just the father in me talking...:rolleyes:
Network admin? Pifft. We're an urban school system with one system admin for 52 city schools. You don't just talk to them. Nor do they listen. I respect authority and "play by the rules." I was actually asking for the assistant principal, who asked me. If I needed advice on the morality of the issue, I'd have posted in the community section.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think it highly unlikely that this thread will last long to offer help to circumvent in-place security... be it right or wrong, that is not our choice or concern.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Plymouthbreezer said:
Network admin? Pifft. We're an urban school system with one system admin for 52 city schools. You don't just talk to them. Nor do they listen. I respect authority and "play by the rules." I was actually asking for the assistant principal, who asked me. If I needed advice on the morality of the issue, I'd have posted in the community section.
This is a much better post to get your point across than a simple "how do I bypass my school's web security?" You have to admit, it sounded a little fishy. :rolleyes:

In the end, shouldn't your assistant principal be asking the principal, who'd ask the superintendent or something? It seems odd that the school administrators would be looking for a way to bypass their own security.

And if there is a way, your assistant principal should be concerned about providing a means to get around security to his students or staff (not sure of your part in this play). Setting up proxies would likely only work if you had another way to the internet outside of the main routers.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
emw said:
This is a much better post to get your point across than a simple "how do I bypass my school's web security?" You have to admit, it sounded a little fishy. :rolleyes:

In the end, shouldn't your assistant principal be asking the principal, who'd ask the superintendent or something? It seems odd that the school administrators would be looking for a way to bypass their own security.

And if there is a way, your assistant principal should be concerned about providing a means to get around security to his students or staff (not sure of your part in this play). Setting up proxies would likely only work if you had another way to the internet outside of the main routers.
Sorry for the fishy sounding post... I do conquer.

My school system's fake... Nothing works like it should here. I myself have meetings with the superintendent on a monthly basis - he doesn't do anything about a school web blocker regardless if we complain or not. Anywho, I'm the process of trying to get all our junk computer systems updated in the school, and he wanted a filter free computer in an office area, off limits to students.

Mind you, I also set up this administrators iPod on his school computer... So you can infer....:rolleyes:

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
emw said:

Well it does make since in some ways. The Network Adminstor doesnt report to school adminsters. He reports to the superindent at best and with 52 schools one AP is small fries and request like that will not aways be taken care of.

As for proxicing out it. that not really going to work simplely because the computer still has to route back to the school and go though there web blocking. Now if there was let say a personal computer at home he could remote desktop to. that could get around it since that computer does not deal school networking.

Prox has it limitions. A VPN might work since all request are sent though it but then again that gets into some pretty messy stuff to set up.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Timepass said:
Well it does make since in some ways. The Network Adminstor doesnt report to school adminsters. He reports to the superindent at best and with 52 schools one AP is small fries and request like that will not aways be taken care of.

As for proxicing out it. that not really going to work simplely because the computer still has to route back to the school and go though there web blocking. Now if there was let say a personal computer at home he could remote desktop to. that could get around it since that computer does not deal school networking.

Prox has it limitions. A VPN might work since all request are sent though it but then again that gets into some pretty messy stuff to set up.
Thanks, at least I can give him an educated answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.