Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Want to make a web page, very basic for family and friends to be able to view a few things and then have an email for them to ask (a separate email from personal one, make a new on on gmail probably?)

I know Apple used to have iWeb, but don’t think it’s available or would even work on new MacOS now anyway.

It’s to be a basic website, nothing fancy etc so what’s beat way please, software on a Mac/iPad and to publish it. Don’t want it to cost much for publishing either as it’s just a basic at the moment.

Thanks

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Want to make a web page, very basic for family and friends to be able to view a few things and then have an email for them to ask (a separate email from personal one, make a new on on gmail probably?)

I know Apple used to have iWeb, but don’t think it’s available or would even work on new MacOS now anyway.

It’s to be a basic website, nothing fancy etc so what’s beat way please, software on a Mac/iPad and to publish it. Don’t want it to cost much for publishing either as it’s just a basic at the moment.

Thanks
If you already have a web host, I would check and see if they can install WordPress for you. WordPress is a content management system that uses a template system. All you have to do is start a new page, fill the content and click a button to publish.

If you don't have a web host yet, you can get a free WordPress website, but I think they put ads on your website.

Many web hosts include several free apps as part of the webhosting package, and WordPress is often one of the included apps.

HostColor

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
WordPress is always a good option @revmacian suggested, but you need to update the WP installation on monthly basis. If you need a static website with no database, one that will not be updated more than once or twice a year, I'd suggest you buy one page HTML template and to customize it. It is not going to be hard to do it. Taco HTML and TextWrangler are good HTML editors. FileZilla is a good FTP client.

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Just do google sites. If it is just small and to share w.friends fam you don't need the headache of keeping a wordpress install secure.

Reactions: FarmerBob

markdamelio

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Nottingham
You can use google sites it is google service that helps you to create websites. In this there is no requirement of HTML knowledge and if you are already registered with any google service like gmail, then you can use the same credentials to log into google sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.