Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
As a past judge of the challenge (and judge of this particular week) I have never taken likes in consideration when choosing victims winners. I don't even pay attention to them, honestly.

I think it is going to take awhile for everyone to break the habit; half the time I never remember if I'm in challenge of the week or POTD. I also think it is incumbent upon the acting judge to choose in the spirit of fairness and adherence to the original point of topic, regardless of how many accidental likes appear. :)

But that said, @needfx can certainly beat offenders with a wet noodles where warranted.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Enough pontification .... Time for someone to put in another entry .....

_MG_7626a1024.jpg

The Horror ... The Horror !!!!! But I did get taken out for a few good dinners ..

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Because you’ve unofficially been the Like counter with your reaccident free counts.
Please permit me to relieve you of the burden; policing, exterminating and hunting down "likes" accords with my Inner Curmudgeon on the very the week-end the clocks go back.....

I perceived myself more like the geeky hall monitor grassing on everyone

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
it is so easy to forget which photo thread one is in -- been there, done that many a time and then hit a "like" and thought, "oops, this is the competition thread, shouldn't do the "likes" thing here...."

Over the last month or so it's been really interesting for me, not putting any "likes" anywhere, which of course plays right into my tendency towards black-and-white thinking, all-or-nothing thinking. I had just found myself slipping all-too-readily into pretty much automatically clicking "like" for every image I saw, and at some point I realized that probably isn't good for either the original poster or for me. I did feel early-on that it wouldn't be good to click the "like" button for competition threads and yet occasionally found that happening accidentally, too....

So I've been taking a "vacation" from the "like" button (or, rather, the "reaction" button) but rest assured, folks, I've seen some really wonderful images over the past month or so even if I haven't indicated that I like them..... This is a really talented bunch of photographers here, and it is fun seeing what everyone comes with on a daily basis as well as for the competitions......

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Last day for entries! I’m heading out for the day so judging tomorrow or Monday morning at the latest.

Reactions: deep diver

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
darn it - hit enter too soon. hang on.

______

That's a wrap! I loved all the varied entries! Creative thinking is where it's at!

@globalist - I guess this is a literal fall translation? I mean, otherwise it's to go burning into the night of life....I like the smoke coming off the fire, the highlights are blown, which drops it down a peg for me.

@akash.nu - a spectacular sunset! I am always amazed at the photos you capture with your phone. Based on your description, it seems more of a temporary issue, rather than a drawn out season, but it's still lovely nonetheless.

@deep diver - a beautiful tribute to aging with your best friend. No matter that it's a "new" relationship, love is sweet at any age.

@Hughmac - I'm always a sucker for a lensbaby image, and we just picked apples yesterday. Plus I love your double meaning as a description

@Robotti - Lovely leaves and fall tones. You do always find the bendiest subjects and pose them in such beautiful locations. Skintones seem a bit too magenta to me, but that is perhaps on purpose

@Strider64 - another whimiscal entry of the aging process. So nice that your dad still has a sense of humor.

@oblomow - your image and focus are definitely on theme and I like the different concept for this image. I admit baby birds freak me out with their weird eyes but that won't detract from your image. :)

@maflynn - this is such an interesting, almost monochromatic image. It seems quite otherworldly.

@needfx - I'm not sure this quite hits the theme for me - the vintage car with the newer wreath and bow seems at cross purposes, but the image itself is well executed.

@Janichsan - such lovely foliage, definitely on theme for a literal translation. I like the play of light throughout the leaves.

@Indydenny - a clever take for the theme! I love the depth of field in this image

@tizeye - I like the leading line you used for all the RVs, rather than just shooting one straight one. One small CC is I wish you'd rotated slightly to the right to get in all of the right most RV and the back end of the trailer on the left.

@redshifted - lovely leaf and slow shutter speed. I'm partial to that orange color

@Clix Pix - I like the single leaf caught in both the light and the water. Would love to see the shadows on this raised just a bit but I also like the framing you used.

@kenoh - I like the simplicity of this, but admit it seems really quite underexposed to me - I can barely make out the fall color. Would love to see this brightened and warmed up a bit.

@someoldguy - a nice, lighthearted approach to this challenge. :) Happy birthday, whenever it was!

Okay, time for the lineup!

Third: @oblomow
Second: @Indydenny
First: @Hughmac I admit I knew this was a contender the first time I saw it. I just love the LB blur.

On to the next!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.