Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinatik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2016
Virginia
Got the pros at launch and have been happy with them so far. Have had the fit test problem, but they seem to be working fine. Tonight, I thought I would try the different tips to see if I like one better than the other.
I had been using the mediums, but when I put on the large tips, the left airpod stopped working.
I disconnected them, restarted the phone, refitted the tip multiple times and still wouldn't work.
I put the medium back on and it worked, same with the small one.
What could cause the large tip to make the left airpod to stop working?
Edited to add, I put the non working left tip on the right ear and it didn't work on the right ear either, so it seems like a problem with the tip.

Last edited:

Chinoo

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
Sinatik,

I had the same thing happened to me, but what I noticed is the tip had something suck inside, if you look at them should be a hole, but the one that is not working looks like is blocked by something, mine had small paper from the little storage that apple provided, be careful when you remove the paper, it should have small mesh, do not remove the mesh, I did it by mistake.

Reactions: Glideslope

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
If you have an Apple store near you take it in and exchange the tips. I have read of others having the issue Chinoo mentions.

dhowartr

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
I had this problem as well. Bought the Airpods Pro on launch day. Fine at first, then I had the "fit test" problem. Switched out tips to find ones that worked. After several swaps, the medium tip seemed unable to secure to the Airpod on the left side and it stopped working. When fitted with the large or small tips it worked. Apple Store replaced my APP with a new set. Everything has been fine since, though they eventually started failing the fit test again. Sounds great though! ANC and transparency work fine.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I notice I have to re adjust at times to get the full seal back again. Kind of annoying. Large tips work but not comfortable. Mediums seem to work okay. Someday I will give the small ones a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.