Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Last week I started backing up some data to an external USB hard drive that I have (2.5", 5400 RPM, Western Digital, USB 2).

I formatted the drive as APFS, encrypted.

I'm backing up a folder with ~150 GB, in the form of ~100,000 files of varying sizes.

The first time I did this backup (really just a copy), it took about 40 minutes, which means an average of ~60 megabytes per second write speed, which is about what one would expect for writing many files (including small files) to a 2.5", 5400 RPM drive.

Now I'm doing the same thing a week later, nothing has changed, but instead of taking 40 minutes, it's on target to take about 8 hours (it's about half done).

Looking at Activity Monitor, the hard drive is writing at a rock-solid rate of 5-6 MB/s.

Anybody have any idea what might be going wrong here? That's many times slower than it should be, obviously, and the fact that it's at a constant rate suggests to me that it's being artificially capped by something but I have no idea what that something might be.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For an external platter-based hard drive (particularly a slow one), I'd suggest HFS+ instead of APFS.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
For an external platter-based hard drive (particularly a slow one), I'd suggest HFS+ instead of APFS.

Eh. It worked well enough the first time I copied stuff to it. Just not this most recent time.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
A) Are you using the exact same cables, hubs, interfaces, and wiring configuration as before?

B) Are you overwriting the previous files? Or is the new copy completely separate?

Question A is because a defective cable or other component could lower speeds to USB 2.x or USB 1.x speeds.

Question B is because APFS might be preserving the prior version of the file, which could add overhead to the copying process.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
A) Are you using the exact same cables, hubs, interfaces, and wiring configuration as before?

Yes, all identical. Including which specific USB port I'm using on my Mini.

B) Are you overwriting the previous files? Or is the new copy completely separate?

Separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.