Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
i bought a weird mac at a flee market in sweden and wonder if anyone knows anything about it

Attachments

• 20190816_112409[1].jpg
    20190816_112409[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 680
  • 20190816_112429[1].jpg
    20190816_112429[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 433

johan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
can not find someone who has been sold what to put in price?
then it is in sweden so shipping will be expensive if it is worth selling it?

ip18

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom
can not find someone who has been sold what to put in price?
then it is in sweden so shipping will be expensive if it is worth selling it?
You could list it as an auction for a quick, guaranteed sale. If not, then you could list at a high price, then lower it if it doesn't sell. The price depends on whether people are interested in buying these or not.
The buyer will be charged for postage depending on their location, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Does it have a model number?

Reactions: johan77

johan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
You could list it as an auction for a quick, guaranteed sale. If not, then you could list at a high price, then lower it if it doesn't sell. The price depends on whether people are interested in buying these or not.
The buyer will be charged for postage depending on their location, so shipping shouldn't be a problem.

Does it have a model number?
have no idea what to value it for.
what is a high price?
model number i can look it upp

johan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
cant find a model number where should it be

Attachments

• 20190817_133549.jpg
    20190817_133549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 305
  • 20190817_133602.jpg
    20190817_133602.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 381

johan77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
I would say around $2000, some people sell for insane prices.
it was a laptop in the bag too which I found now when I took new pictures

Attachments

• 20190817_133506.jpg
    20190817_133506.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 305
  • 20190817_134916[1].jpg
    20190817_134916[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 247

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I wouldn't get TOO excited over this being worth big bucks, although you may pleasantly be surprised(and I may be also).

This is a 3rd party cut-away and it's interesting for that, but it's also a bit of a mis-match of parts. The rear bucket claims 512K, while the front is from a Macintosh Plus, so you already have a parts mis-match there. It actually looks to have a Plus logic board, since it has SCSI and min-DIN serial ports(the 128K/512K lacked these and had DB-9 serial ports).

More importantly, the Hyperdrive upgrade is very interesting, and is something I personally would pay a decent amount of money for. The problem is that the subject computer doesn't HAVE a Hyperdrive.

So, essentially, this is a Hyperdrive rear bucket attached to a Mac Plus. The fact that it was made by a recognized 3rd party Mac vendor MIGHT add some value. At the end of the day, though, aside from the silk screening on the side, anyone with a milling machine could cut out a compact bucket and put plexiglass panels in it(which is essentially what Hyperdrive did here).

This MIGHT be worth 2-3x a standard Plus, but I seriously doubt more. I'd be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

Perhaps @MacTech68 can weigh in on this also

As for the model-this is an M0001, the same as all of the early compacts. It's also a Macintosh Plus/1mb (this is the model, regardless of how much RAM is actually in it).

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTech68

ip18

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom
I wouldn't get TOO excited over this being worth big bucks, although you may pleasantly be surprised(and I may be also).

This is a 3rd party cut-away and it's interesting for that, but it's also a bit of a mis-match of parts. The rear bucket claims 512K, while the front is from a Macintosh Plus, so you already have a parts mis-match there. It actually looks to have a Plus logic board, since it has SCSI and min-DIN serial ports(the 128K/512K lacked these and had DB-9 serial ports).

More importantly, the Hyperdrive upgrade is very interesting, and is something I personally would pay a decent amount of money for. The problem is that the subject computer doesn't HAVE a Hyperdrive.

So, essentially, this is a Hyperdrive rear bucket attached to a Mac Plus. The fact that it was made by a recognized 3rd party Mac vendor MIGHT add some value. At the end of the day, though, aside from the silk screening on the side, anyone with a milling machine could cut out a compact bucket and put plexiglass panels in it(which is essentially what Hyperdrive did here).

This MIGHT be worth 2-3x a standard Plus, but I seriously doubt more. I'd be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

Perhaps @MacTech68 can weigh in on this also
The Hyperdrive was probably removed for data protection, which is a shame as it probably would’ve had more value. It could still be worth something though. As user reukiodo pointed out, this unit was the demo used by Hyperdrive to showcase the internals.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Hyperdrive was probably removed for data protection, which is a shame as it probably would’ve had more value. It could still be worth something though. As user reukiodo pointed out, this unit was the demo used by Hyperdrive to showcase the internals.

There's more to a Hyperdrive than just the drive itself, and this computer doesn't appear to have any of it.

Here's an old thread that shows a complete set-up

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-512k-w-internal-hyperdrive-rare-valuable.422001/

Reactions: MacTech68

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Did somebody call me @bunnspecial ?

I agree with all bunnspecial's observations and conclusions. There certainly IS more than a hard drive missing. However, it looks fairly clean and not badly scratched.

However, since I doubt too many cut-away/demo units were built, this might get a collector with a spare hyperdrive chassis quite excited. The trouble is getting it seen by such a collector.

eBay is probably your best bet, and if it were me, I'd be starting at USD1000 for it (shipping NOT included) NOT as a 'Buy-It-Now' and see where it goes.

BUT - that's just one opinion.

Expect to surround it with lots of foam/bubblewrap (etc) to prevent the tube from cracking the case (perhaps 2-3 inches deep on ALL sides). All the weight is in the tube, which places much stress on the 4 mounting points when shipping. Packing it with the machine face down might help if you have "This way UP" stickers on it. (now I'm rambling) :rolleyes:

The sting is that I'd most likely not pay that much for it, but I see machines go for prices I'd never pay. ;)

ip18

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom
However, since I doubt too many cut-away/demo units were built, this might get a collector with a spare hyperdrive chassis quite excited. The trouble is getting it seen by such a collector.

eBay is probably your best bet, and if it were me, I'd be starting at USD1000 for it (shipping NOT included) NOT as a 'Buy-It-Now' and see where it goes.

BUT - that's just one opinion.
I definitely agree with this and I think eBay is the only place where it would sell. I would potentially start the auction at $900 to attract more attention, but it’s up to you.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The Hyperdrive 2000 was announced at the 1986 MacWorld Expo. Appears to be aimed at MacPlus owners.

20MB Hard Disk,
12Mhz CPU upgrade (GCC performs the CPU swap on the motherboard) or maybe a killy-clip
1.5MB RAM
68881 Co-processor.

A few parts missing. Would be interesting to see if the CPU has been 'upgraded' on the existing motherboard.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Hyperdrive 2000 was announced at the 1986 MacWorld Expo. Appears to be aimed at MacPlus owners.

20MB Hard Disk,
12Mhz CPU upgrade (GCC performs the CPU swap on the motherboard) or maybe a killy-clip
1.5MB RAM
68881 Co-processor.

A few parts missing. Would be interesting to see if the CPU has been 'upgraded' on the existing motherboard.

Agreed-I would LOVE to see pictures of the LoBo in this one.

Perhaps I was a bit stingy in my evaluation of it, but if it's a standard Mac Plus LoBo to me the only real value is in the rear bucket.

I also find it interesting that the fans that the side panel claims to be there don't appear to be. That's something that would definitely benefit any M0001 Mac, whether or not it had an internal HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.