Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoomerJay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
I noticed these dust / scratches every time on the same place on the screen after I clean it. It comes back every time but cleans off very easy.

I don't know what this is? does someone experienced this also with there new MBP 16?

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpeg
    IMG_4759.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 7,067
  • IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 5,106
Reactions: JudithMacBookPro

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
I noticed these dust / scratches every time on the same place on the screen after I clean it. It comes back every time but cleans off very easy.

I don't know what this is? does someone experienced this also with there new MBP 16?
Hi, I don't own a MBP 16" but it looks like staingate! :eek:

Reactions: iemcj

nvz

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
Do you keep something like a cloth between the keyboard and screen when you close your MacBook?

It does look like staingate but then it should not clean off at all.

BoomerJay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Do you keep something like a cloth between the keyboard and screen when you close your MacBook?

It does look like staingate but then it should not clean off at all.
No I do not! It cleans off but after 10min its back!

nvz

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
I use microfiber cloths special for cleaning monitors and screens that they use In the Apple stores

If this is returning within minutes after cleaning I would take it back since it doesn't seem like you used any chemicals or abrasive cloth/paper.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If you used much pressure against the surface of the display when "cleaning" it, you've probably damaged the anti-glare coating. Hence, the streaks and stains.

The MBP's use a very thin "sprayed-on" anti-glare coating.
It's VERY fragile, and may not hold up to "normal cleaning routines".
It's VERY easily damaged.
That may sound ridiculous, but "that's the way it is" with MacBook Pros.

The scratches and streaks you see in the anti-glare coating are generally called "StainGate". There are topics about that here at MacRumors.

Apple has (had?) a free display replacement program for this.

I suggest that you make an appointment at a brick-n-mortar Apple Store genius bar right away.
Let them have a look at it, but "be reserved" about what you tell them about cleaning it.
They -might- offer to repair or replace it.

AND A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT A NEW DISPLAY:
DO NOT "clean it" as you've been doing.
The more you "clean it", the greater the risk of this happening again.

Instead, your goal should be "don't get it dirty in the first place".

If dust gets on the surface, take a soft cloth and gently "dust it" across the surface, WITHOUT applying pressure.

If something gets on the surface that you can't get off with dusting, use a cloth moistened with water, and ONLY AS LITTLE PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE to remove it. Then, "dust it dry".

Try to avoid touching the surface of the display when opening or closing the lid.

It shouldn't have to be this way.
But... that's the way it is.

Reactions: obargy and Nacho98

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Looks like the display is damaged, and it reappearing would suggest the coating is damaged and you just can't see it.

You really do have to treat it like a family heirloom and avoid getting it dirty. My 2015 screen not once got dirty. I blew it off side to side top to bottom before every closure and if there were anything stuck I GENTLY wiped that spot with a lint free/microfiber as gently as humanly possible. If there was something stubborn, a tiny corner of that cloth dampened and then followed up with a dry corner. Again, teeny tiny pressure and the tiniest amount of contact possible.

Also, get a Radtech Screensavr for it.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
OP: What EXACTLY did you use to clean your screen? It sounds like you used something other than plain water. Did you use Windex or some cleaning product other than water?

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
From looking at your pictures, I would say that the following happened:

1. You sprayed the screen with some caustic cleaner.
2. You wiped the caustic cleaner off, which is evidenced by the smears.

The only reason the screen ever appears to be “fixed” is because it is damp, which effectively hides the damage. Once the water (or whatever you are using now after you damaged the screen) evaporates, the damage reappeared.

This is definitely not Apple’s fault. You created the damage. I hope you purchased AppleCare, because if you did not, and if Apple decides not to replace your screen out of good will, you have an expensive repair coming up.

In the future, spray a cloth (not the screen) with water, wipe the screen with the damp cloth, and then dry it immediately with another completely dry microfiber cloth.

Let us know what Apple indicates. Whatever you do, do NOT suggest that the damage is due to a faulty screen because it most definitely is not.

Joe

• Haha
Reactions: iemcj

BoomerJay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
From looking at your pictures, I would say that the following happened:

1. You sprayed the screen with some caustic cleaner.
2. You wiped the caustic cleaner off, which is evidenced by the smears.

The only reason the screen ever appears to be “fixed” is because it is damp, which effectively hides the damage. Once the water (or whatever you are using now after you damaged the screen) evaporates, the damage reappeared.

This is definitely not Apple’s fault. You created the damage. I hope you purchased AppleCare, because if you did not, and if Apple decides not to replace your screen out of good will, you have an expensive repair coming up.

In the future, spray a cloth (not the screen) with water, wipe the screen with the damp cloth, and then dry it immediately with another completely dry microfiber cloth.

Let us know what Apple indicates. Whatever you do, do NOT suggest that the damage is due to a faulty screen because it most definitely is not.

Joe
I did not spray cleaner or wiped it with something weird. I used ONLY the microfiber cloth that they also use at the apple store.

I still can return the MacBook until 01/08/2020 so there won't be a expensive repair happening :)

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008

OMG, I really hope the is not the case. I just got my 16" this past Thursday to replace an aging mid 2014 13" MBP that had the "staingate" issue. Screen replaced twice in 3 years (under AppleCare) and then refused to replace again after it happened for the third time. It would be hysterical if this 16" displays have the same issue.

• Wow
Reactions: obargy and iemcj

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
You can return it, but Apple will send it right back to you. They do not accept damaged product back.
Additionally, what you are saying is absolutely impossible. You can SEE the spray pattern from whatever you sprayed on the screen. If, as you indicate, you simply dampened a rag, the pattern would look completely different. The pattern is not one that a damp rag would make, period.

Additionally, if you claim you sprayed water on it, this too is impossible.

It is fine if you want to fabricate a story for us here in the forum, but if you do this with Apple, they will absolutely know you are not telling the truth about what happened. I would highly recommend you mea culpa up and ask if they will assist you, and if they will not, man up and offer to pay.

It is my opinion that lying to Apple will remove any chance that they will help you. This said, there is of course, a chance that they will not notice the damage, and you will get away with the lie.

Please do not respond to this comment by doubling down on your innocence. You, or someone else with a desire to clean your screen with a caustic spray caused this damage. It’s fine, we all make mistakes. I hope you do not make another mistake by lying to Apple. If you decide to lie to them, I hope you find yourself with the same computer coming back to you.

I did not spray cleaner or wiped it with something weird. I used ONLY the microfiber cloth that they also use at the apple store.

I still can return the MacBook until 01/08/2020 so there won't be a expensive repair happening :)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Unfortunately, speaking from experience, that looks exactly like a screen with a damaged anti-glare coating.

The scratches are the result of contaminants acting as abrasives on the screen surface, and even with some microfiber cloths, can result from the material itself if it's poor quality, or the backing or edging makes contact.

Back in the CRT days, I unwittingly discovered that even cleaning solutions designated as "safe" for screens can damage and remove the delicate glare coatings.

As noted above, the best practice is to try to avoid soiling them in the first place, including being wary of "those people" who like to use their fingers to point to and touch the screen.

And when cleaning is called for, and only when it's called for, start with the least aggressive method, and avoid chemicals.

There are situations where being proactive with maintenance and cleaning is good. But when surface coatings are delicate, or finite, is not one of them.

An example of the latter is the paint on a car. People who habitually "polish" them or apply abrasives are needlessly wearing down the layers of the paint when it likely isn't called for.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I've only used microfiber cloths dampened with distilled water to gently clean my screens. And I don't do it that often since I try to keep the screen clean in the first place. And I make sure the screen is cool before cleaning it. It's best not to use tap water since it can contain minerals depending on where you live. The minerals can leave visible residue on the screen.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

The two, prominent, parallel lines looks to outline part of the Touch Bar. Maybe you had something on your hands, which got on the Touch Bar area, and then when you closed the MacBook it damaged the coating. Then when you cleaned that smudges in that area, it spread.
[automerge]1576289243[/automerge]
You can return it, but Apple will send it right back to you. They do not accept damaged product back.
Additionally, what you are saying is absolutely impossible. You can SEE the spray pattern from whatever you sprayed on the screen. If, as you indicate, you simply dampened a rag, the pattern would look completely different. The pattern is not one that a damp rag would make, period.

Additionally, if you claim you sprayed water on it, this too is impossible.

It is fine if you want to fabricate a story for us here in the forum, but if you do this with Apple, they will absolutely know you are not telling the truth about what happened. I would highly recommend you mea culpa up and ask if they will assist you, and if they will not, man up and offer to pay.

It is my opinion that lying to Apple will remove any chance that they will help you. This said, there is of course, a chance that they will not notice the damage, and you will get away with the lie.

Please do not respond to this comment by doubling down on your innocence. You, or someone else with a desire to clean your screen with a caustic spray caused this damage. It’s fine, we all make mistakes. I hope you do not make another mistake by lying to Apple. If you decide to lie to them, I hope you find yourself with the same computer coming back to you.

lol

Last edited:

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
You can't use windex? I've been using that since i can remember...

Whoopsie. Never had any problem though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Windex (at least in some iterations) has a little ammonia in it.
I can't imagine that as being good for the fragile anti-glare coating on the retina displays.

OP:
If you still have the option to return it, you'd better do so.
If you snooze on this, you're gonna lose.

And take seriously the precautions about handling retina displays that I (and others) have given above...

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Windex (at least in some iterations) has a little ammonia in it.
I can't imagine that as being good for the fragile anti-glare coating on the retina displays.
Ah right. Well we have a version without that. It's not called windex either. But it's similar.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
This is an issue that's plagued MacBooks since their inception due to the anti-glare coating Apple use on the screens.

It helps to making sure your hands are clean before using the keyboard as the less oils on your fingers means the less crap transferring to the screen.

JudithMacBookPro

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023

I have the exact same thing on my MacBook Pro 14inch. No I did not use any spray/chemical/water to wipe the screen. To the guy who keeps saying you aren't telling the truth - what do you know? Were you there to see it happen?

Reactions: TorontoSS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.