Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
A neighbour actually rang this morning asking for some sugar which I gave. I was lathered up and ready to shave but no matter. A bit concerned about this gentleman, he's got breathing tubes and is skinny as a rail. Not sure what is wrong, they are a nice family. It's just that the whole borrowing sugar thing almost never happens. Otherwise wrapping up the grading and reporting for the semester.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A neighbour actually rang this morning asking for some sugar which I gave. I was lathered up and ready to shave but no matter. A bit concerned about this gentleman, he's got breathing tubes and is skinny as a rail. Not sure what is wrong, they are a nice family. It's just that the whole borrowing sugar thing almost never happens. Otherwise wrapping up the grading and reporting for the semester.

Either they ran out, or - this has happened to me - they could be in the middle of cooking something which requires sugar now, rather than later, when they can get to a shop.

A good few years ago, I was making marmalade, and realised that I hadn't sufficient sugar, and was obliged to request some sugar from a neighbour. Another time, also several years ago, when making tomato chutney, I realised that I needed some sugar and a few onions; again, a decent neighbour came to the rescue.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I was talking to someone about sugar just the other day. We were discussing the scent and taste cane sugars have in comparison to beet sugars.

Riveting stuff, I know.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was talking to someone about sugar just the other day. We were discussing the scent and taste cane sugars have in comparison to beet sugars.

Riveting stuff, I know.

Go on. Go on! Frantically pressing F5!

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Go on. Go on! Frantically pressing F5!
Well, I know you're being sarcastic, but...

Technically, at a scientific level they're the same end product despite the plants having different methods of storing sunlight energy. Sucrose (sugar) is sucrose. Taste is irrelevant at a purely refined state. However, if you grew up on beet sugar in, say, Europe or anywhere where it's grown commercially to curb foreign sugar reliance, and you moved to a place where cane sugar is more common, you can still pick up on the flavor.

It all started about 13 years ago when I bought some sugar and didn't think much of it until I used it to sweeten some tea. It tasted funny. Threw it out, made a new batch of tea, it tasted funny. Package said "made from sugar beets."

I'm not sure how to describe the difference, but it's like if you squeezed the juice from a carrot, a really sweet red beet, and a parsnip and removed their grassy compound flavors and diluted that and used it atop regular sugar you're used to in the US.

It's like comparing Morton's table salt, which is iodized sodium chloride made in a factory to sea salt. Looks the same, tastes slightly different at size so both have the same surface area or close proximity. Pink Himalayan which is mostly sodium chloride tastes different, too, but this is due to more trace elements and the surface area being, supposedly at that, different when ground down. Does help that both non factory salts were influenced by their surroundings, including prehistoric waste.

You grew up on a sweet corn farm, right? You'd be able to tell good sweet corn from regular types of corn or even the awful stuff grown specifically for feed. The sweetest corn I've ever bought was from your home state.
[automerge]1575463257[/automerge]
Should have told them you were thinking of doing a local play as Santa and wanted to get an idea of what you'd look like. Have some finesse, man!

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Good point about the different sugar sources. For the record, I had golden cane sugar "sucre brut" in French. Almost all white sugar you buy in Europe is beet sugar whereas what they call golden is cane.
[automerge]1575466212[/automerge]
Either they ran out, or - this has happened to me - they could be in the middle of cooking something which requires sugar now, rather than later, when they can get to a shop.

A good few years ago, I was making marmalade, and realised that I hadn't sufficient sugar, and was obliged to request some sugar from a neighbour. Another time, also several years ago, when making tomato chutney, I realised that I needed some sugar and a few onions; again, a decent neighbour came to the rescue.
Oh I wasn't concerned about why he wanted sugar, he apologized and said it saved him going to the shop. I am more concerned about his state of health with the nasal tubes as this is more recent. Possibly wanted to avoid going out (his wife and kids were already at work/school) as it is darn cold here now.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

America needs to do without sugar and don’t use it for pies and such just let the natural sweetness of fruits do it or just use honey or stevia instead.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All the jobs that need doing in my new house. At least the pipes didn’t burst when it froze and the heating was off.

Really hope they arrive with the gas tomorrow as planned.

At least things have gone well so far and you are both happily installed and ensconced in your new home.

However, let us hope that the gas is linked up tomorrow.

Good luck.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Thinking about how I can still perform my role as an IT Manager, but, not totally get overly involved in office politics, yet still complete my duties...

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
In the late 1970s, a couple of geeks got together in a garage and started a phenomenon called Apple that revolutionized the world's computer, communications and music listening capabilities with a succession of magical devices like Macs, IPods, iPads and iPhones.
I joined at the Little Mac stage in 1984 with dozens of Mac iterations and devices to follow.
Jobs died and the business people took over and now the Mac device family and the problem infested software like Catalina, have become just another commodity in an entertainment juggernaut amongst streaming TV and Beats inspired audio and video fluff. Cook has joined the TV wars with Comcast, Netflix, Hulu and Disney.
Is there any wonder there are no more "just another thing" ideas gasping the audience at the annual spectacular, just more and bigger iPhone gimmicks and broken software upgrades for us to trouble-shoot for the Apple programmers?
The Apple R&D dollars now search for consumer dollars and profit max instead of innovative products.
The magic idea function is dead.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Lamenting the final Radio broadcast of Julian Clegg in the South of England - he's been a stalwart of morning listening in this part of the world and the background to mornings for colleagues and I for years! Many a commute eased by his dulcet style, and he always seemed to find interesting things to talk about day in and out... I'm very much going to miss hearing him in the mornings, but wish him a happy retirement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.