Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I use WebEx and Skype. Ninety-nine percent of the time Skype for short text/voip chats and WebEx for meetings I can’t avoid.

Yeah, and Slack isn't all that analogous to Skype, Slack is more like team based, long[er] term project collaboration, where Skype is like a quick chat in the elevator (and for external communication, like a "phone call").

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Such a cool piece, color me jealous!

Yeah, she should be excited, and this reply just reminded me we need more frames, we burned through eight 11x17 frames in a few months (lots of posters from concerts, events, etc., had been sitting around).

I mean, I also got her a new iPhone 11 Pro, but I think the poster is cooler :D

Reactions: kazmac and Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland

Most definitely!

And thanks for reminding me about frames. I also have a stack of posters I need to hang on my walls. I've only lived in this apartment for close to ten years, there's still time to finish decorating the place, right..?

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yeah, she should be excited, and this reply just reminded me we need more frames, we burned through eight 11x17 frames in a few months (lots of posters from concerts, events, etc., had been sitting around).

The poster is much cooler. :) Oh and 3 From Hell was not Sid’s last movie (That would be Hanukkah).

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
She is finally getting a new/ the newest phone first (usually it's the same time or a previous gen)., I'm going to squat on my X for another cycle. Also getting the little G her first new phone (an XR) + an actual cell account (she's just been using an old 6S on WiFi only).

So much else on my mind :)

New vents for my car (installed)
New blank racing trunk panel + very cool custom Coyote badge (working on it)
Tons of work backlog, hahaha, I better get with it :D
Nothing but Christmas movies all weekend!

Speaking of Xmas ...

We traveled for Christmas the last couple of years (NYC, Montreal), so we bought an artificial tree, it's a nice one (made by Balsam Hill), but since we're taking a travel break and staying home for Christmas, we decided we wanted a real tree again. So we moved the artificial we'd already setup (and decorated), to a front window (should've seen us moving it ...), and scored a big ol' tree (almost touching our 9' ceilings), beautiful one from a lot we've bought from for decades (nice family here in town).

It's epic, slightly more narrow vs. the height, so it doesn't block the TV :D

I also killed my office mini fridge, so got a bigger one (~4.6cu/ft) that will really hold some beer, not delivered yet, so I had to pass on some killer choices at the liquor store today because there's no where to put it. Oh yeah, I saw the super limited edition bourbon Goose Island, like $24/bottle, but they had a boxed set one from each year, 2017/18/19, I was told Santa might get it (we had this in NYC '17 I think at Pier 17 somewhere) ;)

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I cannot believe I missed the live Anthony Joshua fight. Totally forgot different timezone and all that...

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

Think we passed on that due to it being buggy. That was long ago. Apparently CMR is a breeze nowadays on WebEx. I wouldn't be surprised if their solutions now are cheaper than our current provider, but I'd have to have someone do the math.

Slack is alright. Microsoft Teams is right there and they seem to deploy updates faster. Does help they offer a fat discount to long term clients.
Yeah, and Slack isn't all that analogous to Skype, Slack is more like team based, long[er] term project collaboration, where Skype is like a quick chat in the elevator (and for external communication, like a "phone call").
Skype has too much clutter for a simple chat client. We've been demo'ing Teams and Slack for a long while now to get a feel of how they are. It's a bit lame to have to pay for both services. When brought up with our reps at both, they slid us discounts on an interim basis per user to help us make a decision and not pay twice for similar services. I suspect if we go with Teams, Microsoft wouldn't mind hacking off 80-90% the per user fee to keep us with the bulk of their services.

Vendor lock in is rarely a concern nowadays, but there's a lot of tit for tat in features set and prices. I haven't had the need to communicate via messaging service since 2011.
[automerge]1575771283[/automerge]
Teams? Wound me up today. Headphones connected but nobody could here me speak!
So ditched the QC35’s and went to find a wired pair. Only ones I could find only had a lightning connection, so switched to the iPhone.
Great for screen sharing complex spreadsheets!

#grumpy!
Hmm, seen that problem with other wireless headsets. Not to sound old, but some things shouldn't be wireless.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Need to speak with my Manager. He asked me to prep for a Managers meeting to present statistics and a status of projects.

However, he sold it to me as, “Other managers want to see you in action, in particular, the VP of IT...”

Fact is, I prepped for this meeting all last week, and presented. The VP was not at the meeting, neither was my direct Manager; he was off.

I’m a direct and straight forward person. Do not sell me on a dream, I cannot trust you then. He could have simply said, I will be unavailable for this monthly meeting, and I would like you to cover for me, by presenting the stats, etcetera.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Dog noise, eldest sis freaking out over mom having surgery and she won't be there, and my Apple products starting to be problems again (Thankfully returned the iPad Pro too).

And Amazon failing on delivering nature journaling art supplies twice now.

All these are on my mind - little things.

So I started the white noise machine upstairs, told sis to calm down and just take care of herself, and am going to try PCs etc. next year (My job is giving me Windows 10 training, and I probably will go the laptop, extended keyboard route here at home. It took me rethinking the computer situation after the MBP return to be more open minded).

I am calm about mom's surgery. She has a great surgeon now and I am confident he will start to help her get out some of this pain.

Anyway, off to start chores etc.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Need to speak with my Manager. He asked me to prep for a Managers meeting to present statistics and a status of projects.

However, he sold it to me as, “Other managers want to see you in action, in particular, the VP of IT...”

Fact is, I prepped for this meeting all last week, and presented. The VP was not at the meeting, neither was my direct Manager; he was off.

I’m a direct and straight forward person. Do not sell me on a dream, I cannot trust you then. He could have simply said, I will be unavailable for this monthly meeting, and I would like you to cover for me, by presenting the stats, etcetera.

Very frustrating when something of this sort occurs.

He probably thought that he was being very clever - if he knew that this would happen in advance - by ensuring an excellent performance from you while misrepresenting the nature of - and attendance at - the meeting.

If the organisation is very hierarchical, it may be difficult to challenge him on it. However, while it will ensure that you do not fully trust him in future, it may have a negative effect on your relationship.

My suggestion would be that you ask him whether he knew (in advance) that neither he nor the VP of IT would be present, pointing out that this served to misrepresent the nature of the meeting, but that 1) you would be more than happy to stand in for him in the future, as long as the details of what is required - and who you are reporting to - are clarified, and 2) that you would welcome an opportunity for to make a presentation at a meting that the VP for IT actually attends.

Dog noise, eldest sis freaking out over mom having surgery and she won't be there, and my Apple products starting to be problems again (Thankfully returned the iPad Pro too).

So I started the white noise machine upstairs, told sis to calm down and just take care of herself, and am going to try PCs etc. next year (My job is giving me Windows 10 training, and I probably will go the laptop, extended keyboard route here at home. It took me rethinking the computer situation after the MBP return to be more open minded).

I am calm about mom's surgery. She has a great surgeon now and I am confident he will start to help her get out some of this pain.

The very best of luck with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: circatee

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Think we passed on that due to it being buggy. That was long ago. Apparently CMR is a breeze nowadays on WebEx. I wouldn't be surprised if their solutions now are cheaper than our current provider, but I'd have to have someone do the math.

Slack is alright. Microsoft Teams is right there and they seem to deploy updates faster. Does help they offer a fat discount to long term clients.

Skype has too much clutter for a simple chat client. We've been demo'ing Teams and Slack for a long while now to get a feel of how they are. It's a bit lame to have to pay for both services. When brought up with our reps at both, they slid us discounts on an interim basis per user to help us make a decision and not pay twice for similar services. I suspect if we go with Teams, Microsoft wouldn't mind hacking off 80-90% the per user fee to keep us with the bulk of their services.

Vendor lock in is rarely a concern nowadays, but there's a lot of tit for tat in features set and prices. I haven't had the need to communicate via messaging service since 2011.
[automerge]1575771283[/automerge]

Hmm, seen that problem with other wireless headsets. Not to sound old, but some things shouldn't be wireless.
Yes I guess you are right. But they work perfectly normally. Also perfect with my iPhone.

You talk about the cost of teams, but isn’t it free with office 365? That’s what we use at work.
[automerge]1575824854[/automerge]

Sorry to hear that. When is the surgery?

Here is very peaceful and quiet. It’s lovely. Be even lovelier when the renovations are done.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

I think you would really like the laptop-as-desktop replacement-scenario. This past week I finally got myself in gear and purchased the 24-inch LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor at the Apple store! Actually, I had seen it at the store before and had also read reviews, so knew that this is what I wanted. Trying something new, I took advantage of the courier service, where all I did was order the item from the Apple store online, specified courier delivery to my home within two hours (an extra $9.00, and it is so, so worth it!) and actually in just over an hour the guy was at the door with the big, heavy box!

It took very little time or effort to set the thing up. I'd already cleared the computer desk and rearranged things -- desk needed tidying anyway! After carefully maneuvering the monitor out of the box and setting it on the desktop, it was simply a matter of plugging the monitor into the surge protector, and then then shutting down the computer so that I could use the provided Thunderbolt 3 cable to plug the monitor into one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the MBP. Fired up the MBP and voila! All I had to do then was to go to Settings and set up mirroring of the two displays. Done!

I am so glad I've finally got an external monitor, as it is making a difference when I am working with post-processing and editing images! Should've done this a long time ago. It is also nice to have more screen real estate available for other purposes, too. This is just like working on a desktop now, but offers more flexibility than an iMac does because of course if need be I can simply unplug the monitor and whisk the MBP off to another location when needed, and I've still got a display on it, of course.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I think you would really like the laptop-as-desktop replacement-scenario. This past week I finally got myself in gear and purchased the 24-inch LG Thunderbolt 3 monitor at the Apple store! Actually, I had seen it at the store before and had also read reviews, so knew that this is what I wanted. Trying something new, I took advantage of the courier service, where all I did was order the item from the Apple store online, specified courier delivery to my home within two hours (an extra $9.00, and it is so, so worth it!) and actually in just over an hour the guy was at the door with the big, heavy box!

It took very little time or effort to set the thing up. I'd already cleared the computer desk and rearranged things -- desk needed tidying anyway! After carefully maneuvering the monitor out of the box and setting it on the desktop, it was simply a matter of plugging the monitor into the surge protector, and then then shutting down the computer so that I could use the provided Thunderbolt 3 cable to plug the monitor into one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the MBP. Fired up the MBP and voila! All I had to do then was to go to Settings and set up mirroring of the two displays. Done!

I am so glad I've finally got an external monitor, as it is making a difference when I am working with post-processing and editing images! Should've done this a long time ago. It is also nice to have more screen real estate available for other purposes, too. This is just like working on a desktop now, but offers more flexibility than an iMac does because of course if need be I can simply unplug the monitor and whisk the MBP off to another location when needed, and I've still got a display on it, of course.
Yay!

I am so happy for you. :) Congrats on getting that LG display (they are wonderful). The Apple courier service is dangerous. Very dangerous.;)

Dogs being stupid annoying today.:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes: I just turned white noise machine back on.

@Apple fanboy congrats on the quiet and the successful move. Mom's surgery is tomorrow.

I am hungry despite eating quite a bit today. Just waiting on mom's acquaintance to bring her car back, and me doing a few more chores and then we can ease into tomorrow.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yay!

I am so happy for you. :) Congrats on getting that LG display (they are wonderful). The Apple courier service is dangerous. Very dangerous.;)

Dogs being stupid annoying today.:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes: I just turned white noise machine back on.

@Apple fanboy congrats on the quiet and the successful move. Mom's surgery is tomorrow.

I am hungry despite eating quite a bit today. Just waiting on mom's acquaintance to bring her car back, and me doing a few more chores and then we can ease into tomorrow.
Good luck with it. Hope all goes well.

I’m always hungry! I’m thinking what else I can eat based on what’s in the house. Not much!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yay!

Thanks! Yes, this is a terrific display and I am more than pleased with it. Should've done this a long time ago! As for the Apple courier service being dangerous.....eh, I dunno. For me and my bank account it can be more dangerous to walk into the Apple store!!! Somehow I never manage to get away empty-handed....

I love the convenience of the courier service, as otherwise it would've been a hassle for me to haul the box from the store and the mall out to the parked car and then wrestle it into the car and then wrestle it back out of the car once home. A male friend had offered to help me when we'd talked about that monitor as a good choice and I'd planned to call him, but the day I suddenly got the urge to buy the thing and was looking at the listing online and realized that there was the courier option, well it just seemed a no-brainer all the way around to use the courier. If I ever buy anything else large and heavy like that from the Apple store, I'll remember this option, but most of the time what I buy is easy enough for me to handle myself and I do love going into the Apple store!!

Best to your mother for tomorrow's surgery, and to you as well! It'll be a long day, but undoubtedly the surgery will be a huge help to her in the long run and relieve the pain she has been in for so long.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yay!

Best of luck with your mother's surgery tomorrow, and try not to get too stressed about it.

As long as she is comfortable and relaxed with it, - and you both are happy with the surgeon and medical care - everything should be fine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks @Clix Pix @Apple fanboy and @Scepticalscribe I am more stressed about the dogs going all day than I am mom's surgery.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. She will be fine. :)

Hope you and everyone else are well.

Best of luck to you both; even if it routine surgery (and this is more than routine), one is still upset and stressed until it is over; and then comes a different type of stress, dealing with a convalescent, someone who can be cantankerous and demanding and difficult at times.

My father was an excellent patient, and did exactly as he had been instructed, taking the sensible view that even if he didn't like it, following orders and instructions would aid his recovery. However, until her dementia became more pronounced (when her essentially decent character became evident) my mother had been a difficult enough patient some of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.