Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
iPad mini. No real need for one, the XR is just fine, but....

I use my XR as if it were an iPad mini, sort of... but I'd miss my real iPad mini if I didn't have it!

I'm so far resisting my next laptop purchase... or even the homework on what to get. Sticking for now with my mid-2012 MBP (bought refurb from Apple in 2016 so it's just now gone off warranty) and a 2010 Macbook that I had updated a bit with an SSD and more memory. When one of those croaks I better have made up my mind about the next new-to-me machine since I don't like not having a laptop and a functional spare at hand, even if I do like and use assorted mobile devices all the time as well.

Pretty sure I'll go my usual route for that next laptop though: Apple refurb and Applecare.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use my XR as if it were an iPad mini, sort of... but I'd miss my real iPad mini if I didn't have it!

I'm so far resisting my next laptop purchase... or even the homework on what to get. Sticking for now with my mid-2012 MBP (bought refurb from Apple in 2016 so it's just now gone off warranty) and a 2010 Macbook that I had updated a bit with an SSD and more memory. When one of those croaks I better have made up my mind about the next new-to-me machine since I don't like not having a laptop and a functional spare at hand, even if I do like and use assorted mobile devices all the time as well.

Pretty sure I'll go my usual route for that next laptop though: Apple refurb and Applecare.

Go for it: Although I usually buy new (with Applecare), I'm also a big fan of the combination of Apple refurb and Applecare, (and have bought that combination in the past).

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I’m not trying to resist buying a astrakhan hat for winter, I’m undecided if I should.

4C8DE4BA-1D92-4248-AC59-73B626F40F30.jpeg

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I always warn people who ask to drive mine or want to test drive. Don't do it unless you are ready to buy :)

Do it!
Noone has even asked to drive my Model X w/Ludicrous. It scares most people how quick it is.
I'm used to it as my daily and it stays in Ludicrous mode 24/7 except for the rare occasion of Ludicrous Plus to which most passengers say " OH SHHHHI... " and grab any part of the car they can ?

My trying to keep myself from buying product?
I have been interested in robot vacuums since they came out but I never thought they were "there" yet.
Then I just saw the new irobot that can dock itself/charge itself and dump itself which has been my concern as we have 2 dogs and 2,700 sq ft. So the floors get dusty/dirty quite a bit and I never pulled the trigger previously because I know how much hair and dirt I normally vacuum up and was concerned if previous models could do the entire house without completely filling their containers.
The entire house is tile / hardwood. The only carpet is my closet.

So that thing is $1,400 o_O and you can bundle with the irobot mop/swiffer sweeper thing for $1,700 total. My wife said, "add it to our wish list" I'm like... it's freaking $2,000 after tax for a vacuum and mop!

She is high maintenance for sure.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thankfully digital imaging software has come a long way and is significantly improved since the early days, and digital cameras themselves are also significantly improved as well. This should make it easier for the novice just getting into digital imaging......but, yeah, no question about it that in the beginning there is a lot to learn!
[automerge]1571174109[/automerge]
Tiny tasting dishes / dipping sauce bowls.. it's about the colors!

Oooooh, I LOVE those colors!!! Especially the orange, yellow and turquoise/teal! Mmmmm.....!!!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Oooooh, I LOVE those colors!!! Especially the orange, yellow and turquoise/teal! Mmmmm.....!!!

Yep this time of year those bright colors start talking to me... right about the time they vanish from the hills as "peak color" of the autumn leaves passes, leaving us with early sunsets and bare branching shadows long on the grass even at noon. Those dipping sauce dishes will be more fun than plain white ones come November for sure. I just have to make sure I pay my school tax before I splurge on them!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
My trying to keep myself from buying product?
I have been interested in robot vacuums since they came out but I never thought they were "there" yet.
Then I just saw the new irobot that can dock itself/charge itself and dump itself which has been my concern as we have 2 dogs and 2,700 sq ft. So the floors get dusty/dirty quite a bit and I never pulled the trigger previously because I know how much hair and dirt I normally vacuum up and was concerned if previous models could do the entire house without completely filling their containers.
The entire house is tile / hardwood. The only carpet is my closet.

So that thing is $1,400 o_O and you can bundle with the irobot mop/swiffer sweeper thing for $1,700 total. My wife said, "add it to our wish list" I'm like... it's freaking $2,000 after tax for a vacuum and mop!

She is high maintenance for sure.

Considerations:

Are are you a single story? If not you might want two.​
And even if you are that‘s too large to effectively clean everywhere in a single charge so you still may want two or set up a room schedule.​
Lastly, since you mentioned pets. I assume they’re very well house broken, because any accidental waste left on the floor will get consumed and spread around the rooms.​

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Considerations:

Are are you a single story? If not you might want two.​
And even if you are that‘s too large to effectively clean everywhere in a single charge so you still may want two or set up a room schedule.​
Lastly, since you mentioned pets. I assume they’re very well house broken, because any accidental waste left on the floor will get consumed and spread around the rooms.​
One story, there are two bedrooms that are rarely used and a few closets and pantry to remove a portion from that total sq footage.
The pet accidents was one of my holdouts from before. We had 3 dogs and were all very well house-broken and 2 of them passed this year, both over 12 years. And I just got a new Goldendoodle pup and she still has her occasional accidents right now.

I had seen some reviews that a couple of the higher end models from the different companies have had the ability to return to the charger, charger themselves and remember where they stopped vacuuming and return to finish.
The issue had always been, sure they could charge their-self but if the internal dustbin is full it doesn't matter.
Then recently, I saw a commercial for the new one that can now dump itself when it docks for charging or if it becomes full during it's "job".

Still curious on them. I normally have these things catch my eye and then I watch them for years until they are at the point that fulfills the vast majority of my particular wants.

Thank you for your suggestions too.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I test drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance today. Now I want one. My daily-driven Honda CBR650R feels slow in comparison in terms of acceleration!
Yah. I can understand that. My personal car is 2004 2.4L I-4 Dodge Caravan. My work vehicle is a 2018 Dodge Durango SSV 5.7L HEMI V8. Calling the van anemic doesn't seem to quite describe it. I'd love my own Durango, but I really need a cargo hauler - and it just doesn't get better than the Caravan, except if I had Stow n Go so I didn't have to remove the seats all the time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.