Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just picked up all of these books for a total of $4 at my local library book sale. These are going in my 'to read' pile. I have read Iacocca's book before but I wanted to add it to my collection and read it again. It's a good book.

IMG_20191113_124716.jpg

John-F

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I just picked up all of these books for a total of $4 at my local library book sale. These are going in my 'to read' pile. I have read Iacocca's book before but I wanted to add it to my collection and read it again. It's a good book.
Very impressive collection of books. We would all be better off if people read these kinds of books. I used to buy books at the local library sale, but now am sold on ebooks, specifically in my case, using the Kindle. I don't know if it's generally known, but many libraries have free ebook loans on different formats for various devices, including the iPad as well as the Kindle.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
many libraries have free ebook loans on different formats for various devices, including the iPad as well as the Kindle.

Yep... ebooks and audiobooks as well... all one needs is a library card with a PIN number.... can convert regular library card if one's existing one doesn't have that feature. Then check into the local library system online, get to the download zone and party down. Or use Libby, the mobile app that will let you check into your own library system, manage your loans, search for books and make recommendations for purchase of stuff they don't own. My aging eyes send me in search of ebooks rather than library sales at this point, although I do still cruise them and sometimes buy gifts I know will please younger relatives.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Check out Hoopla (Hoopla Digital) in the app store:

It's a library loaning system, you use your local library card # and setup an account, free, I believe it allows for 7 borrows/month, they have a pretty nice selection (~500K offerings), books, comics, audio books, even music.

It's actually not just an app, there's a Web front end as well, so you can even read on your computer, I actually used my daughters 15.6" Yoga PC in "tablet mode" to read, it was outstanding!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Very impressive collection of books. We would all be better off if people read these kinds of books. I used to buy books at the local library sale, but now am sold on ebooks, specifically in my case, using the Kindle. I don't know if it's generally known, but many libraries have free ebook loans on different formats for various devices, including the iPad as well as the Kindle.
I love these types of books. One can learn so much from history, so much from successful leaders and if employed properly one can avoid many pitfalls and go on to be a successful leader in their own right.

When I first was promoted to a management position (in the civilian world) the colonel at my sheriff's office took me under his wing, as well as my boss who was a post commander (retired) from the state police. The colonel gave me a few books to read back then, and Iacocca's book was one of them. I've been wanting to get my own copy of it again recently and it was literally the first book I focused on when I walked into the sale this afternoon.

Regarding e-books, I have and read a good mix of them with my physical books. I'll read a book or two on the Kindle and then read a book or two on 'deadtree' and go back and forth like that. While e-books are vastly easier to manage, physically - especially if you have to move a lot, there is still something to be said for holding, feeling and smelling a book as you read it too, and I am never going to give that up. Plus, I find it easier and quicker to pick up a book and look up a reference or passage in it than trying to find the same thing in a e-book.

I actually got my library card a few weeks ago - should have done that years ago. The first one since I was a child. I support reading and voted in favor of our district library's millage proposal earlier this year. Sadly it was defeated. They really need a new building and to expand its space from what they have currently. But I figured I should have and use the library because it is such a valuable resource.

I am aware of those programs where one can borrow e-books, and I haven't set that up yet, but I will.

Utilizing the library will also help me save money so that I don't continue to give it all to Jeff Bezo's and Amazon.

Just like Matt Damon's character in the film 'Good Will Hunting' said,

See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a ****in education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library.

Last edited:

John-F

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I love these types of books. One can learn so much from history, so much from successful leaders and if employed properly one can avoid many pitfalls and go on to be a successful leader in their own right.

When I first was promoted to a management position (in the civilian world) the colonel at my sheriff's office took me under his wing, as well as my boss who was a post commander (retired) from the state police. The colonel gave me a few books to read back then, and Iacocca's book was one of them. I've been wanting to get my own copy of it again recently and it was literally the first book I focused on when I walked into the sale this afternoon.

Regarding e-books, I have and read a good mix of them with my physical books. I'll read a book or two on the Kindle and then read a book or two on 'deadtree' and go back and forth like that. While e-books are vastly easier to manage, physically - especially if you have to move a lot, there is still something to be said for holding, feeling and smelling a book as you read it too, and I am never going to give that up. Plus, I find it easier and quicker to pick up a book and look up a reference or passage in it than trying to find the same thing in a e-book.

I actually got my library card a few weeks ago - should have done that years ago. The first one since I was a child. I support reading and voted in favor of our district library's millage proposal earlier this year. Sadly it was defeated. They really need a new building and to expand its space from what they have currently. But I figured I should have and use the library because it is such a valuable resource.

I am aware of those programs where one can borrow e-books, and I haven't set that up yet, but I will.

Utilizing the library will also help me save money so that I don't continue to give it all to Jeff Bezo's and Amazon.

Just like Matt Damon's character in the film 'Good Will Hunting' said,
Agree completely. My background is similar in that I was exposed to a variety of books along the lines of the ones you mentioned. The phrase "Leaders are readers and readers are leaders" comes to mind. They are valuable not only for leadership, but for everyone, especially for those going through struggles in life. The biography of Lincoln is a good example. Many people don't realize that successful people went through struggles and experienced failures. But they didn't quit and eventually succeeded. That's what they learn from books.

Our collective wisdom is captured in books, and those who don't read (or listen to audio books) are missing out.

I have some ideas I'm floating at the local level to encourage schools to include traditional subjects, including reading positive books, in part to counter all the negativity of today's culture.

Definitely give the e-books a try. You're already paying for it via your taxes. The libraries I'm a member of use Overdrive which works seamlessly with Amazon and the Kindle. Other options mentioned above may also work for you.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Started reading the 2nd volume in Harry Harrison's "Stars and Stripes" trilogy, "Stars and Stripes in Peril". A truly excellent alternate history of the Civil War and a War between America and Great Britain. Such a well written book!

61C9XW4Pq1L.jpg

Reactions: mikzn

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I just finished Brideshead Revisited.

I have...mixed feelings about it. (SPOILER ALERT) This is one of the novels where the first half so clearly outshines the second that the second was a bit of a slog. Sebastian and the relationship between Charles and Sebastian was undoubtedly the most interesting part of the book, so for Sebastian to be dropped as a character mid-way was disappointing to say the least. And I suppose the book's final resolution, whereby every flawed character embraces Catholicism for the better, was sort of an anti-climax and felt more like Waugh promoting his religion than anything else (I was raised Catholic and have a great respect for the religion, but I couldn't help but find it heavy-handed especially with Charles' petulant ranting about religion prior to his apparent conversion). Not that there wasn't beauty in those moments. Like I said: mixed.

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just finished Brideshead Revisited.

I have...mixed feelings about it. (SPOILER ALERT) This is one of the novels where the first half so clearly outshines the second that the second was a bit of a slog. Sebastian and the relationship between Charles and Sebastian was undoubtedly the most interesting part of the book, so for Sebastian to be dropped as a character mid-way was disappointing to say the least. And I suppose the book's final resolution, whereby every flawed character embraces Catholicism for the better, was sort of an anti-climax and felt more like Waugh promoting his religion than anything else (I was raised Catholic and have a great respect for the religion, but I couldn't help but find it heavy-handed especially with Charles' petulant ranting about religion prior to his apparent conversion). Not that there wasn't beauty in those moments. Like I said: mixed.

I agree with you, re both book an the excellent TV adaptation.

Actually, the terrific BBC TV adaptation of Brideshead Revisited from the early 1980s also suffered - in narrative terms - from when Sebastian was no longer a main character, and the focus - which had been mainly on the doomed relationship between himself and Charles, - shifted subsequently.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
daughters 15.6" Yoga PC in "tablet mode"
That's not a bad laptop. That was yours originally, right? Unless I'm confusing you with someone else. Should be able to handle 4K video streaming nicely.

So is that service you brought up anything like Overdrive? I'm only familiar with Overdrive. I rarely bother using a digital loaner because I'd prefer buying the ebook or physical book. Plus, I can hand them down to the kids since I usually opt for hardcovers if available. I'll buy a cheap paperback version later I wouldn't take issue with if I dropped it, spilt something on it or accidentally managed to set it alight.
[automerge]1573967422[/automerge]
Started reading the 2nd volume in Harry Harrison's "Stars and Stripes" trilogy, "Stars and Stripes in Peril". A truly excellent alternate history of the Civil War and a War between America and Great Britain. Such a well written book!

View attachment 876966
You would probably like P. T. Deutermann's works.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That's not a bad laptop. That was yours originally, right? Unless I'm confusing you with someone else. Should be able to handle 4K video streaming nicely.

So is that service you brought up anything like Overdrive? I'm only familiar with Overdrive. I rarely bother using a digital loaner because I'd prefer buying the ebook or physical book. Plus, I can hand them down to the kids since I usually opt for hardcovers if available. I'll buy a cheap paperback version later I wouldn't take issue with if I dropped it, spilt something on it or accidentally managed to set it alight.

Yeah, it's a nice machine, it was for a little light gaming (has a GTX-1050), general use, some art/design (so a touchscreen, also got the active stylus), decent build, i7, it's actually the HD display vs. the optional 4K, the latter at the time was having recurring issues (according to several sites), the HD had no issues, still a really nice display, that seemed like a better choice with the 1050 too.

It wasn't mine, we bought it for her new Christmas '17 :)

We will very likely switch her [back] to a Mac in the near future, and add an iPad Pro to our gear (that she could also use). I'm also toying with the idea of the wife using an IPP for her primary computing platform, with an external KB and display, mouse/trackpad, just keeping on eye on iPadOS development - it's not quite there yet. I'd love to be able to travel with __just__ an IPP, I really want to move away from needing a laptop on the road, when we're OOT, I should NOT need any development resources with me - I'm at least there with my main workstation, this new Mini isn't going anywhere :D

I wasn't familiar with Overdrive, but 30 seconds on their site tells me, yes, it's very much the same kind of service as Hoopla.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Since The Irishman is now on Netflix, I'm finally going to read the book I Heard You Paint Houses written by Charles Brandt that's been collecting dust in my bookshelf for a while now. First the book, then the film.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

View attachment 876883

Nice! I’ve only read two of those (Lincoln & Iacocca). As a kid I read several books on Truman. For some reason he was my childhood favorite. I was astonished his middle name is “S”. I was a simple kid.

Edit: I assume you’ve read It Doesn’t Take a Hero, Schwarzkopf?
I also read Moving Mountains, Pagoonis. It’s about the Gulf’s logistics. Interesting but not a page turner like Norman’s.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, I have read it. I read it about the same time, if not back to back with Iacocca's book. Those were the two books the colonel at my sheriff's office gave me to read.

There was a popular book by the CEO of Remington too. It seemed everyone was reading it back then, but cant for the life remember much of it. I’ll google the name, but I suspect you already know it.

Edit: Victor Kiam. Duh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.