Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Started a new book yesterday. Ian Tregillis' "Bitter Seeds". An alt history novel series. So far, so good!

71MBl3C7f3L.jpg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Contemplating starting a read of Richard A. Clarke's fictional "The Scorpion's Gate", which someone had given me a few years ago and I never quite got to, but this weekend's stacking up like a housebound gig thanks to incoming snow, so now could be the time. Sometimes with writers who have lived through sorting out some of the in-real-time history that they write about later in novels, I have difficulty separating what I know of their politics from what they're writing about. So we'll see how this goes. One or two people said not to expect for instance a David Ignatius turn of phrase from this book. I'm going to keep an open mind for at least 50 pages.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Started a reread of Robert Heinlein's "Methuselah's Children". Been about 25 years or more since I last read it and I am enjoying it just as much as the first time I read it!

scubachap

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
UK
Just finished Pullman's Book of Dust - The Secret Commonwealth. Loved the originals but found La Belle Sauvage disappointing and I'm pretty underwhelmed by this one. Oh well...

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I haven’t read this. Was sunk at Midway? (googling)

Have you read In Harms Way by Doug Stanton?
Sunk at Leyte Gulf IIRC. Her sister Yamato was sunk during the Battle of Okinawa when sent on a foolish one-way mission to beach herself and be used as a shore battery.

Then to be rebuilt as a Space Battleship centuries later being bizarrely intact.

In reality the wrecks of both were found and in a mess.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966) by Robert Heinlein. First read, it’s not great, but I enjoyed it. Written in first person, easy reading, but reads more like a documentary. The author puts much effort into describing the Moon Colony, how it functions, it’s social order, which includes plural marriage by necessity, multiple husbands and wives in single family clusters. A most interesting aspect of the story is a computer who achieves self awareness and a catapult which is used to send goods from the Moon to the Earth, oh and there is a revolution. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.