Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm curious to know what camera and/or camera system people use here

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I started off a few years back with a Sony a55, then a A77. Sold those off for a venture into m43 with an Olympus EM5 MkII. Sold that system to fund the next.
I currently have a Fujifilm XT3 and a selection of primes and zooms. 23/f2, 50/f2, 55-200, and 18-55. Better than the m43 and not nearly as bulky as the Sony was.

Love it !
IMG_1202-X2.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I got a Nikon Z6 last month and really love it. It has become my primary camera. It replaces a D800 that I will continue to use from time to time - I have gotten in the habit of using two cameras.

i also have a D700 that I won't sell, but now will only be used very rarely. Most likely it will go to my son, who has expressed an interest in photography, but that has taken a back seat now that school has started again (he's only 12).

I started off with Canon but moved to Nikon after being frustrated with the Canon focusing system. Although that has largely been fixed now, I still love my Nikon gear and really appreciate that Nikon made an adapter for their mirrorless system so I can still use all my lenses.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Fuji X100 (Original first generation) and Fuji X-E3 with 35mm 1.4 prime.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Too much stuff .... 6dmk2 (just got it) , 5D mk2 (slowly easing into retirement) , SL2 (travel camera),7Dmk2(belonged to late friend, given to me by his daughter),G1X , M9 (because its an M9)
plus some film stuff that sits on the shelf.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Started with Canon, went to Sony, discovered Leica, changed from Sony to Fuji with a brief flirt with Olympus M4/3 along the way, then Sold my Fuji gear to fund my Leica habit.... Currently M4-P film, M9 (as above, because it is an M9), MM and a CL.

In parallel to this, Sony RX100 MKiii still rockin as a carry everywhere option and a Canon AE-1 and Nikon FM and Rollei for periodic giggles....

Having said this, there is another system in my future again as the Leicas don't expose for more than 30 seconds and I would like to do more long exposures. However this time, the candidates are not full frame or medium format etc as I now absolutely realise I am always gonna be crap at this hobby so no point spending mega bucks anymore.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sony a58 - bought 2014 (saw a great deal on "dealnews.com" and grabbed it). I like it, but it looks like Sony has abandoned the A-mount line, so there's no "pathway forward" other than to use it until it breaks.

Canon EOS 77d - since I'd never had a true "DSLR", when Canon offered a deal on this with two lenses, bought it in 2017. I like it.

Canon EOS R - I liked it when it was new, but didn't feel like "paying the price" then, so I waited almost a year. Then I found an excellent deal through "canonpricewatch.com" and got it new for hundreds less than Canon sells as refurbished. Got the battery grip and USBc charger as "part of the package", as well.

I didn't "need" the R, but I figured I'd probably never own another full-frame camera, so, what the heck!
Now I need a good wide-angle zoom for it, good macro, and the Canon EF 100-400 which looks great but it's pricey!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Fuji x100f for travel and Nikon d850, both of which I absolutely love. I'm inching towards a z7 for a lighter travel kit while still being able to use my Nikon F lenses if I don't want to be quite as light. My iPhone X shows up every now and then too, and I may or may not upgrade this year.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Started with a Pentax ME Super (a lovely little camera, one of the lightest and smallest SLR cameras around), graduated to a Pentax P-30T.

Then, I migrated to Nikon: I had a Nikon F75, and after that, a Nikon F100, though I had planned on the purchase of a Nikon F80, but was persuaded to purchase a F100 instead - a lovely camera that was subsequently stolen.

That was when I switched to Leica.

My first Leica camera was a R7 (with which I had a Leica R 35-70 lens), and I currently use a Leica M6 with summilix lenses. That means that I am still using film cameras.

When funds permit, I will purchase a Leica M10 and make the leap to digital.

Last edited:

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
Nikon Z7 and D500 (but will be selling the D500 soon for the Z6) and several Z and F mount lenses.

Sony RX100 M7 for travel and to always carry in backpack

iPhone often.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Last film cameras were Canon, however when switched to digital none of my FD lens would work so Canon basically told me I was free to choose any system as I was starting over. That experience basically made Canon second choice and went with Nikon. Progressed through the various models up to a d610. While I did tote that around Europe several years, with daughter's wedding in the Canary Islands, borrowed a friend's newly introduced Sony A7. When considering the Nikon upgrade, Sony entered the picture. Additionally, I didn't have any Nikon 2.8 glass which eased the decision as I knew the Nikon/Sony adapters were (and still are) crap compared to Canon Metabones. Switched to Sony and the rest is history. Currently use an A6000 and my primary is the A7RIII which very satisfied with and would/will upgrade the a6000 before I went to the a7rIV, and the III does everything I need

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Some oddities here. I currently have:

Leica S-E Type 006 - medium format CCD sensor, lovely image quality, lovely handling, uncomplicated yet is tough, has switchable shutter types and adapted to use Hasselblad HC lenses.

Hasselblad HD3II-39 - medium format CCD sensor, lovely image quality, lovely handling etc. The Leica is a little smaller, lighter and more versatile so this one was meant to be sold by now but I am having problems parting with it.

Canon M5 - because I needed a small, light camera as a backup/travel option and it works with the few Canon lenses I still have.

Reactions: fathergll

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I started this thread, but I failed to include my details ?

I have as many of you know, an OMD EM5 MII, I generally live within two lenses, a 12-40 f2.8 lens for 90% of my shooting, but also a 14-150 f4 - f5.6 lens. I also picked up a G5X Mark II, and I'm looking at this as something to always have with me, so I don't miss out on opportunities, or when I travel and don't want to deal with my M43 gear. I'm kind of thinking the compact camera will be a good fit for DisneyWorld, thanks to the heat and crowds.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I started off way back with a Nikon D80 camera (I still have it and it still works) then last year (around this time) I decided to get serious with my photography. I initially was going to go with the Nikon Z7 and even pre-ordered it, but after still checking out other Mirrorless cameras decided to cancel the order and went with the Sony A7RIII. I was happy with the resolution of the camera, but I really like taking pictures of birds-in-flight (BIF). Then around the holidays the Sony A9 dropped in $1000 in price and Amazon made it where I could pay it off in 3 payments. The temptation was too great for me, so I pulled the trigger and bought the A9. I originally was going to sell the A7RIII, but decided to keep it for the resolution. The A7RIII is my landscape, portraits and macro photography camera; whereas, the A9 is my BIF photography camera (or any thing that moves fast). I think these two cameras will keep me perfectly satisfied in the years to come (hopefully). I do have two telephoto lenses right now (100-400mm and the 200-600mm), but I will probably end up selling one of them depending on which one I use the most. Right now I am leaning in selling the 100-400 lens as the 200-600 balances better on my Wimberely Gimbal and has a little extra reach. However, right now I just I'm going to hold off selling until I am really sure of which one I'm going to keep.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Sony E-Mount.

Sony @6000
Sony @7RII
Sony @7RIII w/ Sony grip

50mm f1.8
85mm f1.4 GM
90mm f2.8 macro G
100mm f2.8 GM
16-35mm f4 Zeiss
18-105mm fsomething G

Curious about this A9II "rumored" to be announced next month. That thing is going to be a beast, imho.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Sony E-Mount.

Sony @6000
Sony @7RII
Sony @7RIII w/ Sony grip

50mm f1.8
85mm f1.4 GM
90mm f2.8 macro G
100mm f2.8 GM
16-35mm f4 Zeiss
18-105mm fsomething G

Curious about this A9II "rumored" to be announced next month. That thing is going to be a beast, imho.
Even if the A9II is only 25 percent better than the A9 the wow! factor will be through the roof. I might have to stop myself from reading about the A9II when it is introduced.;):) If it is rumor is true and it has 36MP I might be tempted to sell my A7RIII and A9 cameras (possibly the 100-400 lens) to get the A9II. However, I like having two cameras as it forces me to concentrate on the type of photography that I'm currently doing. The only thing now is when I crop a BIF the image size is reduced considerably which is kind of a bummer. Though I mostly do web work making the 10 - 12MP size images good enough quality for the web.

Reactions: mmomega

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I have a Canon 5DIV kit with a few lenses. I’m a fan of prime lenses, 24LII, 50L, 85LIS and 100LIS but did buy a 16-35/4LIS a few months ago and have been pleasantly surprised.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I was pretty short with my original answer, but I stick with m43 for the great portability. My last outing I was able to carry my camera+lens and had the other two lenses in my cargo shorts pockets. Despite a LOT of walking on a hot day, it was never really a burden, and I even had to carry a 3 year old for some of that time. I wouldn’t mind a FF like the A7II, but it’s hard to beat my m43s portability. It might be its best selling point.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Currently Canon 6D MkII with 24-105 and 100-400, and my X as it is always with me, thinking hard about 11Pro Max.
In the past had Canon and Nikon film SLRs, the first DSLR D30, Rebel, 1D2

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Even if the A9II is only 25 percent better than the A9 the wow! factor will be through the roof. I might have to stop myself from reading about the A9II when it is introduced.;):) If it is rumor is true and it has 36MP I might be tempted to sell my A7RIII and A9 cameras (possibly the 100-400 lens) to get the A9II. However, I like having two cameras as it forces me to concentrate on the type of photography that I'm currently doing. The only thing now is when I crop a BIF the image size is reduced considerably which is kind of a bummer. Though I mostly do web work making the 10 - 12MP size images good enough quality for the web.
I'm with you. If half the rumors are true and the price is right.... my wife might kill me when it goes on pre-order.
I held off on the R4 just due to the rumors of the A9II coming soon.
I'd most likely get rid of the 6000 and the R2 and just have the RIII and the 9II.

That would still barely make a dent in that up front cost though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.