Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Who’s using these?

29cc477258964053d3295293b3decc98.jpg
I don't use it, but I got 1 (like yours on the left) on my shelf. I actually had an old 8 x 11 view camera all in pieces that I intended to restore one of these days. It got badly damaged in a move a couple year ago, so out it went.

I've sold almost all my studio and camera equipment. Only thing left is my Nikon D800e. It most likely will go as well. I've been using my iPhone 11 Pro max for all my day to day shooting. Have long retired from pro shooting and lost my eligibility to keep my Nikon Pro status.

Reactions: akash.nu

humerc

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
I am using a Leica M10-D. Also have a Fuji X-T10. Sold my M240 and Q a few months ago.

swifty168

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Nikon:
D700
105mm f/1.4E
58mm f/1.4G

m43:
G9
E-PL9
10-25mm f/1.7
15mm f/1.7
56mm f/1.4
60mm f/2.8 macro

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
D7200 with a vertical grip to get the 2nd battery.

Sigma 150-600 Sports
Nikkor 28-300
Nikkor 50mm 1.4 The old AF model
Nikkor 28-105 For the macro mode because I'm too cheap to buy a Nikkor Micro

Various kit lenses of which none are note worthy. After I purchased the two big lenses I purged at least five older lenses.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, there's that, too, the whole higher-end thing...... I have (oops, had) a Nikon D3 and was comfortable with using that, but things have changed quite a bit since the time that camera was released. This new Sony A7R IV is really rather intimidating on the surface, but I keep reminding myself that there will be features and functions that I won't be using, and that's fine, just use what I need and want and the rest of it is there when I'm ready......

Choosing the best camera and lens system for one's budget and photographic needs and desires is absolutely of prime importance. That is one reason it took me so long to arrive at the store making today's purchase, as I have spent the last year or so figuring out exactly what IS important to me, what WILL work out best for my photographic aspirations (what do I really love to shoot? Why? What do I need to do this?) and, well, yeah, there's the budget, too..... I really did have to take into consideration what I would be spending and how each lens I was considering would work best for me and therefore be worth the money spent on it, etc.

I only made up my mind at the last minute about that 135mm f/1.8, as I had been thinking more in terms of an all-purpose 24-105 zoom lens......but for long zooms I already have the Sony RX10 M4 24-600mm, which has done well by me much of the time. Yeah, that's on a small 1-inch sensor, though..... So when thinking about everything seriously I realized that, even though this new lens is pretty expensive and also rather heavy to carry around, it actually would probably be far more useful and satisfying to me than the 24-105mm I'd earlier been considering. Over time I may add another lens or two to expand my repertoire, but for the moment this particular trio is going to be getting a workout from me!
I'm so temped by the $200 off sale on the a7iii. Do I have the guts to actually pull the trigger though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I handled an A7III when I was in the store and I really liked the feel of that camera, too, and briefly wrestled with the decision of going with one of those instead of the A7R IV, but the latter won out even though my bank account squealed in protest. Actually, more than a year ago it was the A7III after which I had first started lusting, and then I became more attracted to the A7R III and then the A7R IV came along.... All are very fine cameras. If I were in need of a second body, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an A7III.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I pretty much abandoned my digital cameras in favour of my iPhones. They do as good, if not better, a job than the dedicated cameras did. My XR is awesome, as was my 7. No plans on going back.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I was in a store today I saw something really cute and so pulled out my iPhone to snap off a couple of photos of it.... I didn't have a "real" camera with me but, hey, the iPhone was available, right there in my purse..... Over the past couple of years I've shot a lot of images with my iPhones and they are indispensable for this! The particular images I shot weren't anything special or worth sharing, but it was fun shooting them anyway. I've shot some interesting photos with my iPhone, too, and yes, the quality can be pretty amazing!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My big problem with the iPhone is still dealing with glare. I get a lot of lens flair with bright light.
[automerge]1575151449[/automerge]
I handled an A7III when I was in the store and I really liked the feel of that camera, too, and briefly wrestled with the decision of going with one of those instead of the A7R IV, but the latter won out even though my bank account squealed in protest. Actually, more than a year ago it was the A7III after which I had first started lusting, and then I became more attracted to the A7R III and then the A7R IV came along.... All are very fine cameras. If I were in need of a second body, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an A7III.
Have you taken any pictures with your new baby yet?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
My big problem with the iPhone is still dealing with glare. I get a lot of lens flair with bright light.
[automerge]1575151449[/automerge]

Have you taken any pictures with your new baby yet?

LOL!!! Sure have! Been shooting with her every day. There are a couple of samples in the POTD thread..... I'm still experimenting and learning the camera, need to tinker a little more with settings. I'm loving all three lenses, and seeing how each definitely has its own niche and will work well for my purposes.

Reactions: MacNut

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
LOL!!! Sure have! Been shooting with her every day. There are a couple of samples in the POTD thread..... I'm still experimenting and learning the camera, need to tinker a little more with settings. I'm loving all three lenses, and seeing how each definitely has its own niche and will work well for my purposes.
How big are the file sizes.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
How big are the file sizes.

That was one thing about which I was concerned vis-a-vis my computer and doing post-processing, etc., but so far it has not been a problem. Just took a look at my file of images yet to be processed and it looks as though they are in the 122.9 - 123 MB range.......

A recently processed image where I did minimal cropping is 958 KB on disk. This is an image reduced to 1200 x 797 jpeg for sharing on the internet.

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
Sony A7 or a Leica M8, I'd love a new digital M but the AUD is in the crapper at the moment...

Last edited:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I am using a Leica M10-D. Also have a Fuji X-T10. Sold my M240 and Q a few months ago.

Do you miss the Q? I love mine. Use that, a CL with the M Elmarit 28 2.8 and a Fuji XPro 2 with either the 35mm 1.4 or 2.0.

How is the M10-D? I love the idea of not being able to check my shots the whole time and just immerse myself in taking photos.

humerc

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
Do you miss the Q? I love mine. Use that, a CL with the M Elmarit 28 2.8 and a Fuji XPro 2 with either the 35mm 1.4 or 2.0.

How is the M10-D? I love the idea of not being able to check my shots the whole time and just immerse myself in taking photos.

I miss the Q only in very few moments where autofocus would be nice (sometimes its hard to manually focus my 7 year old daughter...).

For all my other photography I am perfectly happy with my M10-D. I rarely miss the Display and like the way how it somehow slows me down, you just take the picture and nothing else.
I dont know if I would use it professionally, but for my personal use it is really perfect.

Reactions: bandrews

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I just got a used Leica Q. After years of tinkering with vintage cameras as an enthusiast collector (not photographer), I'm happy to be diving into the basics.

I chose the Q because I knew that if the camera wasn't compact enough, I wouldn't take it with me on a daily basis. If I don't have it with me, I won't use it.

I made myself a promise to learn and try out one thing every day with the Q. A nice slow pace that is doable, and that lets me remember and integrate what I learned the day before without burning out from info overload.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Canon 6D MKII body
Canon 70-200 f2.8L is II
Canon 16-35 f4L
Canon 50mm 1.4

I started out with the Rebel series way back when and have been through a series of different higher end cameras since but I've always been a Canon guy, and for now I'll stick with the mirror. However, whenever someone asks me I never just recommend "my" preferred brand, short of a few different ways to use the tools, they're all relatively similar and I've seen fantastic photos from all of them frankly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.