Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A few rounds with the original Plants v Zombies last weekend for old times' sake, the version for Mac desktops. It's 32-bit so it won't run once I replace this aging laptop with one that comes with Catalina on it. Already Mojave reminds me periodically "hey, ya know...."

Sigh. Yeah, I know, I know. I have other 32-bit app problems that are more pressing. The absence of this fun old game will just be an occasionally remembered annoyance.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Couple of hours in Read Dead Redemption 2 now, must say it's a lot slower than AC Odyssey and I'm still adjusting to that. Loving the details though, like the fact that a carcass of a shot animal starts to decompose and loses resale value. Cool stuff.

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Couple of hours in Read Dead Redemption 2 now, must say it's a lot slower than AC Odyssey and I'm still adjusting to that. Loving the details though, like the fact that a carcass of a shot animal starts to decompose and loses resale value. Cool stuff.

Play it realllllll slow. Like, do things you wouldn't do in other games - like ride around the country at random (not at full pace), or even just walk around the towns and country. You'll find a lot of interesting things. And be really slow when hunting. Look up how to craft the "Legend of the West" satchel - it'll take you a few days or even a week or two to get the materials, but it's fun to do, and you'll appreciate the extra space later.

And pay attention to the challenges - they give you extra health, stamina and dead eye. So spend time just enjoying doing those too. I liked my first place through, but I loved my 3rd and 4th play throughs better when i really slowed it down.

Reactions: BlankStar

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Still logging some time in The Division 2, but I don't know why. It's an abusive relationship (the RNG) that I cannot get away from. Problem is I still enjoy the game, but even with the noticeable improvements they've made to the game, I feel they haven't really learned what really mattered from the 1st one. I can't stand the Dark Zone, which was my favorite part of the 1st one. The RNG could use a lot of love (Hello, Diablo 3). But still, I have one good friend playing it so I keep logging in to do random activities.

Decided to try Destiny 2 since it's free on Xbox One, but I couldn't really join any missions after the first part where you get to the hub. I kept getting disconnected while trying to load.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Play it realllllll slow. Like, do things you wouldn't do in other games - like ride around the country at random (not at full pace), or even just walk around the towns and country. You'll find a lot of interesting things. And be really slow when hunting. Look up how to craft the "Legend of the West" satchel - it'll take you a few days or even a week or two to get the materials, but it's fun to do, and you'll appreciate the extra space later.

And pay attention to the challenges - they give you extra health, stamina and dead eye. So spend time just enjoying doing those too. I liked my first place through, but I loved my 3rd and 4th play throughs better when i really slowed it down.

I've done some challenges now, played some poker, some dominoes, did some stuff with my horse, yet I'm still not adjusted to the slow pace though, but I'm appreciating the game nevertheless.

Reactions: Akrapovic

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
In the middle of Halloween events for both Borderlands 3 & Destiny 2. I've been playing Destiny since it's first beta, so I think fatigue has at long last finally begun to set in. I reluctantly hopped back on to get the special gun that will only be available for this event, and it's been a slog for me. I've been enjoying Borderlands 3 because of it's insane amount of novelty guns, and the RNG has gotten to be very generous of late. The problem? To earn all the rewards from their Halloween event you have to beat the mini 'dungeon' like boss 25x! :oops: To get to this boss you have go do some shooting of specific enemies 25x. Ugh!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
To earn all the rewards from their Halloween event you have to beat the mini 'dungeon' like boss 25x! :oops: To get to this boss you have go do some shooting of specific enemies 25x. Ugh!

That sounds awful. I've gotten to where I really dislike boss fights.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
The boss fights in Borderlands 3 aren't that bad. Since ( A personal unproven suspicion ) 2K tweaked the RNG & drop rates, I find you either get 0 legendary drops or up 2 or 3 drops, while red chests ( because if you have echo cast others can get drops ) don't have squat in them anymore. So having to do the boss fight 25x means you will get a LOT of legendaries, more than you or your vault can hold.

It's having to go run around collecting the 25 ghosts EVERY time to THEN go fight the boss that's gotten old with me. o_O

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Dark Souls 3. Made it to the fourth Lord of Cinder (two princes). That’s pretty close to the end of the game.

Before I finish it, is the DLC worth playing?

Reactions: Burningtime

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Jedi Fallen Order on PC ... so far I am enjoying it, but the controls for PC are pretty lousy (at least the game tells you that up front) - and while the lightsaber combat is good, no one has managed to match JKII / Jedi Academy for lightsaber combat still even after 16 years!

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Dark Souls 3. Made it to the fourth Lord of Cinder (two princes). That’s pretty close to the end of the game.

Before I finish it, is the DLC worth playing?

Yeah the DLC is amazing. The Ringed City particularly. It's hard though. The only bosses I really struggled with in the base game where the Dancer (Uggghh) and Aldritch.

The DLC bosses are way harder to beat in my opinion but the content is definitely worth buying.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I bought Assassins Creed: Odyssey after so many on this thread kept talking about it. I'm generally kinda "meh" on the AC games, but man I am having a blast with this. XBOX was having a quick sale and the original game with all the DLCs were 65% off. Paid 35 bucks for it all.

That and started season 19 in Diablo 3.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I bought Assassins Creed: Odyssey after so many on this thread kept talking about it. I'm generally kinda "meh" on the AC games, but man I am having a blast with this. XBOX was having a quick sale and the original game with all the DLCs were 65% off. Paid 35 bucks for it all.

That is a great deal, especially considering how many hours of content there is.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I just finished the final DLC for this and had over 170 hours in the game by the end. Really enjoyed it a lot.

Reactions: MisterSavage

purgatori_sakkara

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2018
Australia
Final Fantasy XIV is still my primary preoccupation when it comes to games. I've recently had a bad run of buying games against my better intuition: The Division 2 and The Outer Worlds being particular standouts. The Outer Worlds in particular was a huge disappointment. At a surface level, it appears to have all the trappings of Obsidian's heyday RPG's, but it becomes apparent after the first few hours that the game has omitted anything resembling an interesting plot, moral/ethical quandaries, or an attempt to grapple with ideas any more nuanced than "big corporations = bad" (a stance I happen to agree with, but the game isn't saying anything thought-provoking about the subject).

It's been a while since an RPG came out that I was all-in on. I'm hoping that the upcoming Cyberpunk and Vampire the Masquerade games are up to scratch.

Reactions: BlankStar

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It's free with gamepass as well. I enjoyed my playthrough of it. The Multi-player is ass, unless they seriously worked on it.

It reminded me much more of the first one, than the 2nd one.

Great thanks for the heads up on the playthrough.

Well, that explains the massive price drop (to $15) so quickly...

I guess it's a Win-Win for Xbox owners. Gamepass subscribers get the game quickly as part of their subscription, and physical copy people get the game highly discounted not to long after release as well.

:)

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Ps: I really want to get Ghost Recon Breakpoint, but for less than $29.99 for PC. I know, I know; just not sure if I will like it, thus don’t want to spend too much. Sad, but true...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Ps: I really want to get Ghost Recon Breakpoint, but for less than $29.99 for PC. I know, I know; just not sure if I will like it, thus don’t want to spend too much. Sad, but true...

Wait for Clancys Breakpoint to drop around $35-$40-ish before I would purchase it. If you played Ghost recon Wildlands (Released in 2017), you’ll probably like Breakpoint, keep in mind, it’s far more RPG oriented with a lot of Micro-transactions with Breakpoint.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.