Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Dec 2019-
  • Fallout 4 (PC)- Among others, using the Outcasts and Remnants, Depravity, and Project Valkyrie mods. Highly recommended immersive solo experience which opens up new paths in the game regarding the main quest. However I still recommending playing the vanilla game though to an ending, then roll it back half way and try the options in these mods. More clarification on this later in the Fallout 4 thread, but have already described these mods there.
  • World of Warships (PC)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC)

Horselover Fat

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
Germany
I have discovered the Metroidvania genre for me. Hollow Knight, Steam World Dig, The Messenger, Salt & Sanctuary, Guacamelee, Super Daryl Deluxe...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm playing Halo Master Chief Collection, never having an Xbox before, this is my first foray into the Halo series and thanks to the Xbox game pass, I'm playing it on my PC.

I have to say that the first game (Halo Reach) is enjoyable. There's aspects of the game, that's a bit aggrevatting. For instance, there may be a weapon I like but once I run out of ammo, that's it, I'll have to pick up another weapon. Lack of ammo seems to be one of those game balancing choices that Bungie used.

Prior to that I was playing Outer Worlds, and thanks to that game, the Game pass paid for itself in spades :)

Reactions: mikzn and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm playing Halo Master Chief Collection, never having an Xbox before, this is my first foray into the Halo series and thanks to the Xbox game pass, I'm playing it on my PC.

I have to say that the first game (Halo Reach) is enjoyable. There's aspects of the game, that's a bit aggrevatting. For instance, there may be a weapon I like but once I run out of ammo, that's it, I'll have to pick up another weapon. Lack of ammo seems to be one of those game balancing choices that Bungie used.

Prior to that I was playing Outer Worlds, and thanks to that game, the Game pass paid for itself in spades :)
I played a decade of Halo on Xbox with my grand kids, a great ground breaking series. Halo 2 was especially notable and very fun coop. I do remember being pissed that after Marathon, a Doom-butt kicking, Mac exclusive, that Bungie sold out to Microsoft. :) I’ve not played Destiny, which I believe is Bungie’s latest (online) shooter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched the video and this strikes me as an arcade shooter. Is that a fair assessment? I’ve still got X4 gnawing at me and ideally that environment is what I would prefer, setting up independent ships to trade for me, capital ship able to fight for and by me. Build space stations and create an empire. The problem with that game is the cliff learning curve and what I consider be a big step backwards from X3. I plan to revisit that at the one year point.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I watched the video and this strikes me as an arcade shooter. Is that a fair assessment? I’ve still got X4 gnawing at me and ideally that environment is what I would prefer, setting up independent ships to trade for me, capital ship able to fight for and by me. Build space stations and create an empire. The problem with that game is the cliff learning curve and what I consider be a big step backwards from X3. I plan to revisit that at the one year point.

It is like Wing Commander or X-Wing with crafting and loadouts...

Rogue Squadron is the Console Equivalent...

DOOM in space with a Starfighter.

I love that type of game....

The first one is on Steam Holiday Sale for $4.49, can't go wrong with that!!!

Reactions: Huntn

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Playing Trails of Cold Steel II. Just fined Part I a few weeks ago. This game is addicting AF, totally recommended if you are a JRPG fan. Hoping they come out with III for the PC soon. Loving being able to play this when I travel.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
-Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. If the game would stop crashing while running from the big baddie, I’d be done but overall very enjoyable.
-RDR2: It felt slow at first but the graphics and storytelling is well done.
-Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey: I love the Greek history in this game. I’ve bested it a couple times and there’s still a history lesson here and there.
- FFXIV & WoW as usual though time is lacking but not much to do right now anyways, especially in WoW.

Been going through my library a bit lately.

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
I've just finished 2 playthroughs of Oxenfree on my Mac and it's been a wonderful experience. Loved the story and the premise even though it was mechanically lacking - the story was more than enough to drag me in. One of those games best going in to blind.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Doom Eternal came out yesterday. One of my employees convinced me to buy it. He's a big gamer and I'm not... anymore. When he showed me the trailer for it on YouTube I remarked that it reminded me of Quake which I used to love to play back in the day. Quake III Arena was my favorite. He laughed at me and said that Doom Eternal is made by the same people, id Software. That was enough for me to decide to buy it.

I've played it for a while last night and this morning. It's pretty fun.

Cover_Art_of_Doom_Eternal.png

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Doom Eternal came out yesterday. One of my employees convinced me to buy it. He's a big gamer and I'm not... anymore. When he showed me the trailer for it on YouTube I remarked that it reminded me of Quake which I used to love to play back in the day. Quake III Arena was my favorite. He laughed at me and said that Doom Eternal is made by the same people, id Software. That was enough for me to decide to buy it.

I've played it for a while last night and this morning. It's pretty fun.

View attachment 900265
View attachment 900264
Is this arena combat or a new Doom story? I too liked QIII Area, Unreal Tournament was my favorite, and of course Marathon multiplayer my first and most favorite! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
March 2020-
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Solo Story mode is fun. Multiplayer can be fun with friends, but it is shallow and gets repetitive. Professions, as far as I know are online only, are a repetitive grind for the most part. Last I heard Chinese hackers are still an issue in online mode.
  • Black Mesa- Relive the original Half Life game, amazing in its time, pretty good now. :)
  • Divinity Original Sin 2- A pretty good RPG, other than if you are like me, you probably need an online guide to find quest stages. :oops:
  • World of Warships- Still playing Random battles, still cursing the game. I’ve got 2 Tier 9 ships now, USS Iowa and Jean Bart, the latter a battleship I earned though game points.
  • Fallout 4- It’s still hanging in there as a gaming home away from home.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is this arena combat or a new Doom story?
I don't really know. There is a campaign mode and an online battle mode. All I know is I shoot monsters and they blow up and that's all I care to do. I get frustrated with endless pop-up dialogs, learning/training courses, go here, do that, get this, go there, put that in and then maybe you can blow up monsters.

This game has some of that and it's annoying. I miss the simplicity of Nintendo from the 80s and 90s. Quake III Arena I loved for it's ultra simplicity.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't really know. There is a campaign mode and an online battle mode. All I know is I shoot monsters and they blow up and that's all I care to do. I get frustrated with endless pop-up dialogs, learning/training courses, go here, do that, get this, go there, put that in and then maybe you can blow up monsters.

This game has some of that and it's annoying. I miss the simplicity of Nintendo from the 80s and 90s. Quake III Arena I loved for it's ultra simplicity.
So in a campaign mode there is usually a story (solo and/or mp) and in online battle mode it’s usually a mp arena where you might be fighting other players or multiple players fighting AI monsters. Any guesses? I’ll research it. :)

Edit: Now that I think about it Unreal Tournament’s campaign mode was working you way up though multiple arena style levels fighting AI opponents. I’ll assume this is what you are doing.

I also read:
Doom Eternal will also have a multiplayer mode called Battlemode, as well as an Invasion Mode which allows players to invade each others’ single-player campaigns as demons. (Invasion Mode won’t be available at launch, but will be released as a free download after launch.) Link

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Tomb Raider is now free on Steam, don't miss it.

Even though the game is from 2013, but they released a new version that support Metal (require Mojave), has much better graphics than the original released version (OpenGL), worth to play again.
Hair.png

I played this on my Mac Pro 5,1 (as per my signature), average over 100FPS @3840x1080 ultra settings. Pretty good optimisation for macOS games.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the heads up. I have access to Rise of the Tomb Raider on my MS gamepass, I wonder how different this is from that game (I've not really played that too much). I'm downloading Tomb Raider now, why look a gift horse in the mouth :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I played this on my Mac Pro 5,1
I've been playing this now for an hour or so, and its quite enjoyable. I'd say more so then Rise of the Tomb Raider - I get put my finger on it, but its just clicking with me over Rise. performance on my 15" Razer Blade is superb, I'm running on ultra, though I think the game configuration has it set to 60FPS, I may see about changing some of the settings and see how that goes.

On Rise, I need to use my GPU, as that game is a bit more intensive GPU wise.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I've been playing this now for an hour or so, and its quite enjoyable. I'd say more so then Rise of the Tomb Raider - I get put my finger on it, but its just clicking with me over Rise. performance on my 15" Razer Blade is superb, I'm running on ultra, though I think the game configuration has it set to 60FPS, I may see about changing some of the settings and see how that goes.

On Rise, I need to use my GPU, as that game is a bit more intensive GPU wise.
Yeah, for the whole series, I enjoy this 2013 version the most. RoTR or SoTR definitely have better graphics and system, however, for the story itself, I enjoy this 2013 version more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I enjoy this 2013 version the most.
The game and storyline definitely sucked me in, Its been an enjoyable game. The only frustrating part is the sections where you need to continually mash the arrow keys, then quickly go for the F key and then the E key, back to the F key - fighting the wolf has this or earlier in the game fighting off the Russian dude. Other then that, I've found it to be a really enjoyable game.

Being stuck at home, thanks to the pandemic, I definitely have more time on my hands, though unlike many people I'm still working, which is a good thing I suppose

Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The game and storyline definitely sucked me in, Its been an enjoyable game. The only frustrating part is the sections where you need to continually mash the arrow keys, then quickly go for the F key and then the E key, back to the F key - fighting the wolf has this or earlier in the game fighting off the Russian dude. Other then that, I've found it to be a really enjoyable game.
I use Xbox controller. May be that's why I don't have such problem.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm still playing tomb raider and I'm actually very surprised at the depth of the game, it just keeps going on and on. A number of times, I thought I was at the end, only to find out I'm not. That's in no way a complaint, though I know I'm nearing the end. I recall reading some complaints about this game when it came out, like our Lara wasn't sporting her dual guns, and the reliance on the bow, not as many puzzles, etc, yet aside from not adhering to what made the Tomb Raider franchise famous, its been a really fun game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.