Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Ok, I have too much hardware on my power line. Sitting at my warm desk, my twins and the little guy folding, my Mac is compiling; could have been a nice Saturday afternoon with my hobby.

Boom

All system powerless !

First thought: blackout! Hey, but why the lights and the fridge are still on ?
Second thought: aeehhhh ???

Seems too much Ampere for the kill-o-watt; it says 15A and I don't think I used that. Need to check more; PPD will tank for some time.

In the last days I pushed too much with iMac and the 660Ti spare system running at the same time.

Update: kill-o-watt got killed; tried in another socket; nothing. Lucky: one day before 30days return with Amazon; Replacement on the way.
More lucky: no data lost to what I can see. The NAS/RAID is healthy.

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Ok, I have too much hardware on my power line.

Update: kill-o-watt got killed; tried in another socket; nothing. Lucky: one day before 30days return with Amazon; Replacement on the way.
More lucky: no data lost to what I can see. The NAS/RAID is healthy.

Always good to hear that nothing was damaged.

Well timed, Sir :)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You're running all that on 15A outlet? Time to upgrade to some 20A circuits :D

I run my Mac Pro, aux PSU, 3 27" displays, modem, AirPort Extreme, 5.1 sound system, commercial mini fridge and a few other things I can't think of right now all out of one 20a outlet. Time for an upgrade.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I try to stay below 10A in the long run; 1kWh. That's lots ¥ down the pipe.

I reduced the number of monitors running the same time. My 24" ACD is benched; and the 24" EIZO runs only in case my folding rig need attention not possible via remote shell. Main screen 27" iMac and 40" Bravia (low energy!)

We need better and cheaper power ! NOW !

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
well, ah, there is that issue with nuclear power down where you are, isn't there?

Kind of; for the next n'000 years I wouldn't go to some areas :mad:

Which always makes me think: is there a DC project to predict earthquakes and tsunamis ... I understand that can be very difficult as we not yet fully understand the details of Mother Earth and the dynamics of tectonics. Another meaningful project it would be.

Last edited:

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Trying to get this or Einstein@H running on my Raspberry Pi rather than power-hungry PCs and Macs. I notice there is a MacRumours Einstein group, but my Pi isn't downloading any blocks of data to process...?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
F@H is not running on ARM-based system (yet). There was some rumors/hints and with the Google Chrome/NaCL idea might not be unrealistic in general. Just not yet.
BOINC run on Android, so there might be ways to get it running on RasperryPI, but no ideas if possible or not

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
F@H is not running on ARM-based system (yet). There was some rumors/hints and with the Google Chrome/NaCL idea might not be unrealistic in general. Just not yet.
BOINC run on Android, so there might be ways to get it running on RasperryPI, but no ideas if possible or not

Yeah, I've got the BOINC client running on it, but the only project it will let me sign up for is Einstein. SETI returns an error saying there isn't any data for my type of computer, and Folding isn't even on the list!

I just can't work out why it won't send me any data units - it seems to be set up for ARM processors.

No-one else tried running a BOINC project on their Raspberry Pi?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Santa Amazon upgraded my GPU setup:
Now one GTX 780 and two GTX 970 in one rig (Asus P8Z77-V). Too bad, one 970 only get a 4bit PCI lane but still make 220kPPD in stock setup

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I've had a bit of a spring clean and cleared out a lot of my older Kepler cards. Still got a few left, but their days are numbered once the weather warms up. The addition of a few more Maxwell should keep the points up though:

3 * GTX 980
1 * GTX 970
2 * GTX 960
1 * GTX 780 Ti
2 * GTX 780
5 * GTX 750 Ti

CPU folding has all but stopped - just doing a few NaCl to keep the WU count up.

If anyone is still folding on GTX 660 / 760 class GPUs and paying for their energy usage it might be worth getting the calculator out and seeing if an upgrade makes sense - Selling 4 GTX 660 Ti more than payed for a 970 that makes more points and saves £400 a year in electricity. It also leaves 3 slots free for further upgrades...

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Necromancy of an old thread... sorry... but I'd like to verify how people are folding with GPU on the Mac Pro.

I have a 2009 4,1->5,1 Mac Pro, and just put in a 980 Ti GPU, and was thinking I'd go back to folding at night, GPU only.

My assumption is the only way to do this would be use Bootcamp to install Windows 10, then install windows version of F@H, right? Is it true that Mac F@H still won't do GPU folding?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Mac and GPU still not working together. I think there is not much interest / capacity on PG site to invest and test.

Win 10 seems more often having the problem that nightly driver updates killing OpenCL driver parts. Linux the way to go in my eyes.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'd be interested in seeing how a maxed out iMac Pro does? Haven't folded in a while. Does F@H support Mac GPUs yet, or would you have to install Windows? Whichever way that gets GPUs and all 18 cores, should get something halfway decent.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
On my iMac I stopped folding simple it run too hot for my taste. Specially for 24/7 operation.
GPUs still not supported; but with the newer a7 core supporting AVX instructions you could see quite a boost in PPD. Not on GPU level but my cpu:6 slot on i7 moved from 15k ppd to 60k around. Depend on project but sure 3times should be possible.dont know how well it would scale to higher core counts

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Just got Windows 10 Pro installed on a dedicated SSD in my 5,1 Mac Pro, and now I can fold with GPU! Looks like I'm making ~220,000 PPD with the 980 Ti. Thing is, it is running both CPU and GPU. I think after this first test run, I'll change it so it's only using GPU.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Restarted Win10 and it seemed to be running just the GPU, but there was strangeness going on, in that I can no longer edit the work unit slots. It was set to 'medium' and was projecting 440,000 PPD, but it's just odd. Might reinstall FAH Client, or just try using the web client.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Be carefully with the cpu-slot size.
NVidia cards need one cpu thread/core exclusive.

If you have a 4c/8T cpu that means you should only define cpu:6 for CPU folding.
8 - 1 = 7; 7 is a “bad prime” ; so down to 6

CPU slot size should be multiple of lower primes as 1, 2 and 3. 5 might work or not. 7 not working these days anymore. Too many failure computations in underneath GROMACS code

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Okay, so I have 6c/12T, but 2816 CUDA cores. So, you're saying I need to run both the CPU and GPU cores?

In OS X, I could only run CPU cores, usually cpu:6 or 8 at night, and cpu:2 during the day while working. I thought with GPU, I could run CPU:0 and GPU:xxxx

Now there's three modes, Light, Medium and Heavy, and then you can still put cpu:-1 and gpu:-1, and I have no idea what is ideal or what will thrash the GPU. I'd like to maybe use 50-75% of the GPU at night, and none of it during the day, since I use it all day for my job.

This is in the Windows version, by the way: 7.4.4_x86
What do you suggest for settings?

Maybe cpu:1 or cpu:2, and gpu:1 with gpu:-1 on both openCL and CUDA?

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hmm, GPU per percentage is not working. It’s all or none. What you can do is set a powerlifting wh in reduce the speed/heat.

GPU:-1 I have never seen and doubt will do any good.

As for cpu I would suggest cpu:8 in your case. It’s safe, you will get work, and have some cpu free for Windows.
Or add a second cpu:3 slot. Then you can decide when to run both cpu slots or only one.

Cpu:3 for day time
Cpu:8 plus cpu:3 for night time
GPU:(1) for whenever your workflows allow

You don’t need to run cpu slot and GPU slot , but your need a thread for the GPU, the driver require it.

I would leave the power slider on full, as I never recall how it impact the setting. it might reduce you cpu:8 to cpu:5 and end up with no work.

On the FAH Homepage is some description of the power slider, try to find the link

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I set to use GPU, slider on medium last night, and got 198k points by this morning. I have to reboot into OS X for my work, and use Windows for folding, so it might just be a nightly operation for me. Makes it warmer upstairs at night, haha! I will try slider on full and see what happens.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Seems to make no difference if slider is on medium or full when using GPU. It's still ~435,000 PPD. I see what you mean by all or none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.