Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You can never go wrong with creamed spinach.

We've been doing creamed kale, same idea, the kale is a little more robust, holds its texture a bit better, it's a little more intense flavor, kale is spectacularly healthy too (our "cream" recipe is delicious but not nearly as lacoric as a more traditional version).

Reactions: kazmac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We've been doing creamed kale, same idea, the kale is a little more robust, holds its texture a bit better, it's a little more intense flavor, kale is spectacularly healthy too (our "cream" recipe is delicious but not nearly as lacoric as a more traditional version).

What recipe do you use?

I tend to steam kale, (in a little butter and garlic), but would be fascinated to learn how you 'cream' it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What recipe do you use?

I tend to steam kale, (in a little butter and garlic), but would be fascinated to learn how you 'cream' it.

I'll find it, it's really terrific, we made it for our vegetarian friends, well, he is a chef and highly omnivorous, she's technically pescetarian, but she loved it, the son is "vegetarian", but doesn't eat anything green :D

We also make kale chips, but the ratio of starting kale to chips is laughable, seriously, a huge bag the size of a pillow case make a handful of chips :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll find it, it's really terrific, we made it for our vegetarian friends, well, he is a chef and highly omnivorous, she's technically pescetarian, but she loved it, the son is "vegetarian", but doesn't eat anything green :D

We also make kale chips, but the ratio of starting kale to chips is laughable, seriously, a huge bag the size of a pillow case make a handful of chips :p

Well, I'm always astounded by how large bags of spinach somehow steam down and turn into a few small handfuls of tasty greens.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
@Zenithal interesting about freezing kale. Thanks for that tip.

Asian/Chinese food from our favorite take out: pork wonton seaweed soup, ginger salad (regular salad with papaya and ginger dressing, tempura shrimp with lemon and garlic shrimp with string beans.

And I am hungry now, so I bet I'll go my usual of spiralized pears and nuts for dessert. I am loving my new spiralizer. So easy to use. I just blaze through a ton of pears though. I am thinking I better order at least 10 going forward given that I use two just for me.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
@Zenithal interesting about freezing kale. Thanks for that tip.

Asian/Chinese food from our favorite take out: pork wonton seaweed soup, ginger salad (regular salad with papaya and ginger dressing, tempura shrimp with lemon and garlic shrimp with string beans.

And I am hungry now, so I bet I'll go my usual of spiralized pears and nuts for dessert. I am loving my new spiralizer. So easy to use. I just blaze through a ton of pears though. I am thinking I better order at least 10 going forward given that I use two just for me.
You mean like these?

spiralizers

I have a primitive, un-user friendly one at home. So which do you use?

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've yet to see a user friendly one. Best investment I've ever made, kitchen gadgets wise, was a chipper for chips. Brilliant tool makes everything easier and uniform.

Thinking about tomorrow's soup. Probably skip shredded chicken and grind some breast and thigh meat, season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, ginger, onion, garlic, chili powder, egg, bit of crumb and slowly simmer them in a shallow pan to set them and then add them to the pot with the juices and let it cook with fresh veggies. Done it before and you avoid baking them. I usually make the meatballs the size of the typical adult thumb joint, from tip to middle/first knuckle.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In spring, when they are in season, ramsons (wild garlic leaves) make a wonderful green when steamed (and can be brilliant if mixed with something such as spinach).

Likewise, for lovers of kale, an spinach (and indeed, bak choi), chard is also wonderful steamed, and has more body than spinach.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is our favorite green here because we can grow it readily mostly and it has great flavor and usefulness. Like you say it is structure wise in between kale and spinach and therefore can go anywhere >> fried greens, soup, stir fry, fresh salads when picked young etc...

Agree completely.

Try ramsons (wild garlic leaves) - if you can lay hands on them - when they come into season (which is spring - in the northern latitudes - late February until late April, early May); you cook them exactly the same way as spinach, chard or kale.

And, when very young (and not too strong, they get stronger as the season progresses, and then young garlic bulbs appear), they can be used in salads, and are wonderful.

A Spanish chicken bake (derived from a Hairy Bikers' recipe) will suffice for dinner; roasted potatoes, peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken thighs, chorizo, olive oil, pimentón (smoked sweet Spanish paprika), oregano and the usual sea salt and black pepper.

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Try damsons (wild garlic leaves) - if you can lay hands on them - when they come into season (which is spring - in the northern latitudes - late February until late April, early May); you cook them exactly the same way as spinach, chard or kale.
Not sure we can get those here in the USA instead we have "ramps" or wild Leeks which would be way too strong a flavor for some of your suggestions.
I will keep an eye out though so thanks for that.

Spanish chicken bake
Sounds Amazing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not sure we can get those here in the USA instead we have "ramps" or wild Leeks which would be way too strong a flavor for some of your suggestions.
I will keep an eye out though so thanks for that.

Sounds Amazing.

They - ramsons (wild garlic leaves) - could be similar to what you call "ramps"; you get them in the UK and Ireland from around February, but while they do become very strong later in the season, they are lovely earlier on when they are still young and mild.

They tend to grow wild, and you can get them in farmers' markets, which is what I do; sometimes, I will mixx them with chard and spinach, for a lovely dish of steamed greens.

Re the Spanish chicken bake: A large copper roasting dish is now playing host to a few large potatoes, quartered (or, rather, cut slightly smaller still), large tomatoes quartered, carrots, likewise quartered and then halved lengthwise, and a few large onions, likewise quartered. A full head of garlic has been added, cloves separated and scattered around the dish, but otherwise, unpeeled.

The lot have been drizzled (generously) with olive oil, seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and will be placed into a pre-heated oven (400F,200C) for around 20-25 minutes.

That is when I shall stir around the vegetables, and then add the chorizo (sliced and diced) and seasoned chicken thighs (lots of piementón - Spanish smoked, sweet paprika, and a little oregano), and return to the oven.

Twenty minutes later, a bit of stirring, and drizzling - with olive oil and pan juices - shall see the addition of sliced pepper, tucked in around the other vegetables, and back into the oven for a further 20-25 minutes, while increasing the heat of the oven to 220C.

By then, it should be ready.

Reactions: anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Quick census about the forum and off topic sorry, when I hoover over the like button a selection appears of which one on the far right (coincidence I guess) is an Anger emoticon, why is that? I would like more happy response emoticons thank you.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Quick census about the forum and off topic sorry, when I hoover over the like button a selection appears of which one on the far right (coincidence I guess) is an Anger emoticon, why is that? I would like more happy response emoticons thank you.

Ouch.

I hardly ever - in fact, never - use them, and cannot really distinguish one from the other (they need words above them in order for me to be able to tell them apart).

First step of dinner in the oven; chicken pieces slightly seasoned, laid out, and the Spanish chorizo is chopped (and peeled) and waiting in its dish to join the rest of the dinner.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Someone has to point these things out sorry, it is painful. Your dish sounds great.

Oh, I agree with you.

To be perfectly candid, personally, I'd prefer if there were no emoticons (or emojis) at all.

Just a 'like' button, and a recommendation that people (adult people) use words to express themselves.

The chicken and chorizo have been added to the dish which was stirred around - along with more olive oil, - salt, black pepper, and pimentón (smoked, sweet Spanish paprika).

I shall slice the red pepper presently.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I noticed them too last week. I don't think it's a good emoticon for a divisive forum like this where people angrily post that the other's opinion is wrong (which makes no sense to me). Though it also reminds me of AngerDanger, who's fallen off the face of the planet for some reason. He hasn't posted in forever it seems. Or he has and I haven't noticed, and he'll likely find this post of mine incredibly strange.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I noticed them too last week. I don't think it's a good emoticon for a divisive forum like this where people angrily post that the other's opinion is wrong (which makes no sense to me). Though it also reminds me of AngerDanger, who's fallen off the face of the planet for some reason. He hasn't posted in forever it seems. Or he has and I haven't noticed, and he'll likely find this post of mine incredibly strange.

[ I think the anger emoticon as one of the range offered for post reactions can sometimes be empathetic with the person's post, for example when the person has posted about some event that seems unjust, etc. At least that's how it's often deployed in PRSI. It's often awkward to stick a thumbs-up emoticon ( a "like") on a post like that. Probably an argument to eliminate reaction markers all together... I realize I'm extending a sidebar here that probably belongs in the forum for remarks about the site and forums...]

Moving on.. what's for dinner will involve some brightly colored peppers if I find a good selection when I get to the market. Past that I don't know but I want those colors!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
[ I think the anger emoticon as one of the range offered for post reactions can sometimes be empathetic with the person's post, for example when the person has posted about some event that seems unjust, etc. At least that's how it's often deployed in PRSI. It's often awkward to stick a thumbs-up emoticon ( a "like") on a post like that. Probably an argument to eliminate reaction markers all together... I realize I'm extending a sidebar here that probably belongs in the forum for remarks about the site and forums...]

Moving on.. what's for dinner will involve some brightly colored peppers if I find a good selection when I get to the market. Past that I don't know but I want those colors!

Garlic, olive oil, onions, tomatoes........that is what I think when I see brightly coloured peppers.......oh, and aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.