Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No emoticon can do justice to what emotions a good dish with those ingredients evokes!

I agree entirely.

Actually, I must say that when I first visited France as a teenager on an exchange with a French family to learn French, I was in transports of utter joy when I was first served ratatouille.

I hadn't known such gustatory splendour existed.

This was a taste sensation - an explosion of texture and flavour - that I had been waiting all of my life (until then) to encounter, savour, taste, devour.

There is no combination of those vegetables that I do not welcome........and I still adore ratatouille.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Hah, I didn't have eggplant on the list but when i saw them in the market they came home with me. And zucchinis. But some red and yellow peppers are going Asian tonight along with broccoli, onions, garlic, tofu. I'm thinking to make a ratatouille on the weekend though. So much to do now, not sure how that's going to work out! But it will happen, it's in the queue now I haven't had ratatouille for awhile so it's already a craving.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hah, I didn't have eggplant on the list but when i saw them in the market they came home with me. And zucchinis. But some red and yellow peppers are going Asian tonight along with broccoli, onions, garlic, tofu. I'm thinking to make a ratatouille on the weekend though. So much to do now, not sure how that's going to work out! But it will happen, it's in the queue now I haven't had ratatouille for awhile so it's already a craving.

There is something about ratatouille that is simply..........perfect.

A dish I love, and one which goes with absolutely everything.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Braised lamb and root vegetables.

There is something about ratatouille that is simply..........perfect.

A dish I love, and one which goes with absolutely everything.
Love it myself. Don't like the confit biyaldi version, though, that everyone seems to enjoy because of some Pixar movie. There's little melding of flavors in that one.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Braised lamb and root vegetables.

Love it myself. Don't like the confit biyaldi version, though, that everyone seems to enjoy because of some Pixar movie. There's little melding of flavors in that one.

Never saw (or watched) the Pixar movie, though I have heard of it.

But, it would never influence how I prepare (or consume) a French classic.

Reactions: stylinexpat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I loved the movie Ratatouille... not least for its unpredictability as it went along, and the little vignettes that made the characters real. The female chef Colette with the fiery temper and the sharp knives and penchant for riding a bike to work... wow. She was like hot sauce in a dish whenever she popped up. I usually watch that film again at least annually.

Well it's not getting any calmer around here when I look at the to-do list, so my own next production of a ratatouille is likely to be put off until Sunday afternoon. Perfect timing then, as it's supposed to be rainy or snowy... so no point thinking any spring flower bulb enhancement will be happening that day. I have a few places along the east foundation where rascals stole some tulip bulbs or else they were intimidated by some rapid freeze-thaw cycles as winter waned. Thinking to plant the replacements out in tiny rat-wire cages!

Meanwhile what's going to be for dinner tonight will involve chickpeas which are currently simmering. It's fairly warm outside for the season, although rainy, so I may have some sort of salad instead of a hot dish this evening. Playing it by ear as usual (same as the weather gods I guess!).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The easy option - eggs (free range, organic) won out; in general, for cooking, unless I am playing host to people for dinner, I prefer easy culinary options on a Sunday.

Tomorrow shall feature artisan sausages, (which have already been removed from the freezer and are currently in the fridge), cannellini beans, garlic, onions and a few other tasty ingredients.

Reactions: LizKat

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Instant pot butter chicken
315e85e78935c5e7aa79cd2745eb43f3.jpg

Reactions: anika200

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I'm drinking a cup of espresso and I'm about to reheat a piece of a spanish omelette (tortilla de patata) I made yesterday morning, with a side of pa amb tomaquet and a small bottle of Moet Chandon (I couldn't find Cava, so champagne it is).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have been prepping the vegetables for tonight's dinner:

Several shallots, (organic) have been finely diced, and eight cloves of garlic likewise. An Italian tin (San Marzano) of cannellini beans has been opened and drained. Stock (vegetable) has been prepared.

The shallots and garlic shall be sautéed slowly, in olive oil, until softened, and slightly caramelised, after which the cannellini beans shall be added to the pan, and sautéed for a minute or two. That is when the stock shall join the shallots, garlic, and cannellini beans, whereupon it shall be simmered slowly for around half an hour.

In another pan, artisan sausages shall be sautéed slowly, a process that should also take around half an hour.

And that is when dinner - a slightly sophisticated take on the perennial classic of sausages and beans - shall be served.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScrumpyDaniel

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fish: Poached in sautéed (and finely diced) onion, garlic, and (finely grated) ginger, with one or two whole chillies for flavour.

Then, curry, fish sauce, star anise, kaffir lime leaves shall be added, - sautéed a little - whereupon I shall add a little stock and some coconut milk.

After that stock has been allowed to simmer for around 15 minutes, I shall add the fillets of fish for a further ten minutes.

Basmati rice to accompany.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You mean like these?

spiralizers

I have a primitive, un-user friendly one at home. So which do you use?
Yes.

I use a Muller spiralizer (the one that costs 96 pounds), I bought it for $25. Maybe you can get one much cheaper than Amazon UK?

This is super easy to use and clean. I do not mind hand cranking it either. I may buy another one, so we have it since I use mine several times a week now.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fish: Poached in sautéed (and finely diced) onion, garlic, and (finely grated) ginger, with one or two whole chillies for flavour.

Then, curry, fish sauce, star anise, kaffir lime leaves shall be added, - sautéed a little - whereupon I shall add a little stock and some coconut milk.

After that stock has been allowed to simmer for around 15 minutes, I shall add the fillets of fish for a further ten minutes.

Basmati rice to accompany.

A creamy and soothing and tasty yet warming fish curry; this is a dish I shall most certainly have again.

Reactions: 960design
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.