Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Unfortunately, I borked the zucchini pasta for mom by adding red chili flakes to the sauce.:rolleyes: I made it specifically for her and remembered too late that I added the chili flakes (It's second nature to do that since I make this weekly now).

So I have to eat it. :(

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Unfortunately, I borked the zucchini pasta for mom by adding red chili flakes to the sauce.:rolleyes: I made it specifically for her and remembered too late that I added the chili flakes (It's second nature to do that since I make this weekly now).

So I have to eat it. :(

Oh, yes: This I do understand.

This brings back many (I now realise, actually happy) memories, memories that bring a smile to my face:

The days of preparing the boiled egg section of the breakfast for us both when I prepared and closely monitored and timed the boiled eggs for each of us.

I'm not a morning person, and was adamant that Mother get her own cereal, her tea - I prepare coffee for myself - and her toast as long as she was able to do so, and, in fairness, that is what happened; naturally, once she was no longer able to remember what she wanted to do and how she wanted do it, - and that happened suddenly - things changed, and we also - myself, and later, the carer, - prepared her breakfast for her in its entirety.

Anyway, Mother liked her egg harder than I like mine; so, this involved closely monitoring the second hand of the watch, and preparing eggs to two different times......lovely wooden egg cups and egg spoons already out and ready to receive their respective hardboiled eggs.

Pasta: Mother liked pasta with tomato sauce, I liked cheese sauce, Gorgonzola sauce - homemade - to be precise; okay, we compromised on that, but - suffice to say, we had pasta and Gorgonzola sauce less frequently that I might have liked.

Steak: Mother liked hers well done, whereas I prefer mine rare. So, naturally, I cooked both.......

And, as for the curries and chillies that I love; no. She didn't want these once her dementia kicked in.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Trader Joe‘s Lobster Ravioli with truffle Alfredo sauce. It taste good except minimal or maybe shredded lobster with just not enough lobster taste and texture. It kind of reminds me of those cans of shredded crab. That’s why I hedged our bets with a small lobster tail. Not recommended (the ravioli ) if the desire is to eat... lobster. :(
C534E32B-4FAE-4902-95AD-5D56383DE428.jpeg

78321296-3F36-4415-A46C-7DE3FF1C1C42.jpeg

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
How much did you pay for that? I can imagine it was a bit pricey which must have been annoying given you paid for lobster.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Trader Joe‘s Lobster Ravioli with truffle Alfredo sauce. It taste good except minimal or maybe shredded lobster with just not enough lobster taste and texture. It kind of reminds me of those cans of shredded crab. That’s why I hedged our bets with a small lobster tail. Not recommended (the ravioli ) if the desire is to eat... lobster. :(

But, seriously, lobster is expensive.

Why on Earth would anyone prepare lobster ravioli? By definition, I would have to assume that this would be made either 1) with minimal amounts of lobster, or 2) with some sort of flavoured substitute.

While I love lobster, and crab, and shrimp/prawn - indeed, all crustaceans - I would buy the real stuff and make some sort of pasta dish from that.

Besides, to my mind, truffle anything would drown out the flavour of lobster; truffle sauce can be great with steak, or, better still, serve it in a pasta dish with cream (real cream), black pepper, freshly minced garlic, and a variety of mushrooms, but it is not something that I would ever consider serving with lobster.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But, seriously, lobster is expensive.

Why on Earth would anyone prepare lobster ravioli? By definition, I would have to assume that this would be made either 1) with minimal amounts of lobster, or 2) with some sort of flavoured substitute.

While I love lobster, and crab, and shrimp/prawn - indeed, all crustaceans - I would buy the real stuff and make some sort of pasta dish from that.

Besides, to my mind, truffle anything would drown out the flavour of lobster; truffle sauce can be great with steak, or, better still, serve it in a pasta dish with cream (real cream), black pepper, freshly minced garlic, and a variety of mushrooms, but it is not something that I would ever consider serving with lobster.
In this case you’d first need some lobster to be drowned out, and I could easily picture, ravioli stuffed with lobster tasting like lobster with the texture of lobster, ie pieces of lobster, even small pieces. The truffle alfredo sauce was good, and not over powering and I can imagine the two flavors blending together nicely.

As far as marketing, when the name lobster is slapped on a product there is an expectation, just like crab. It’s one of the reason why when I make a crab imperial, I use lump crab instead of shredded crab. The fact that it is in a casserole means that there is a compromise away from pure flavor of the primary item and will be diluted by other elements.

But for marketing if you buy a bowl of lobster or crawfish bisque (to bring home), which we tried recently, I expect there to be pieces of lobster/crab in it, not just be lobster/crab flavored. We were disappointed with the bisque too. Live and learn. :)
[automerge]1575297787[/automerge]
How much did you pay for that? I can imagine it was a bit pricey which must have been annoying given you paid for lobster.
It was not that expensive, about $5 a package, with 10 ravioli in a package. Of interest, it said there were 2 servings per package... not by US eating standards. ;) If there had been an adequate portion of lobster in them, it would have been an excellent value.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In this case you’d first need some lobster to be drowned out, and I could easily picture, ravioli stuffed with lobster tasting like lobster with the texture of lobster, ie pieces of lobster, even small pieces. The truffle alfredo sauce was good, and not over powering and I can imagine the two flavors blending together nicely.

As far as marketing, when the name lobster is slapped on a product there is an expectation, just like crab. It’s one of the reason why when I make a crab imperial, I use lump crab instead of shredded crab. The fact that it is in a casserole means that there is a compromise away from pure flavor of the primary item and will be diluted by other elements.

But for marketing if you buy a bowl of lobster or crawfish bisque (to bring home), which we tried recently, I expect there to be pieces of lobster/crab in it, not just be lobster/crab flavored. We were disappointed with the bisque too. Live and learn. :)
[automerge]1575297787[/automerge]

It was not that expensive, about $5 a package, with 10 ravioli in a package. Of interest, it said there were 2 servings per package... not by US eating standards. ;) If there had been an adequate portion of lobster in them, it would have been an excellent value.

But, @Huntn, at that price, unless you are where the lobster has just been hauled out of the sea, you are not going to get much - if any - lobster (or crab), just substitutes and flavourings to imitate the taste.

However, on ravioli, - and, in a good Italian restaurant, this is a dish I usually love, - I have to say that any ravioli I have bought in stores has been sadly lacking in taste, even the supposedly "classic" ones, with spinach and ricotta.

None have been anywhere near restaurant raviolis in term of quality, where I expect that they are individually prepared with proper ingredients rather than poor substitutes.

In practice, this means that I no longer buy ravioli; instead, I have several efferent types of pasta t hand, and, if I want the taste of crustacean with my pasta, I will buy crab meat from a fishmonger, and prepare a cream sauce to accompany the crustacean and the pasta.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But, @Huntn, at that price, unless you are where the lobster has just been hauled out of the sea, you are not going to get much - if any - lobster (or crab), just substitutes and flavourings to imitate the taste.

However, on ravioli, - and, in a good Italian restaurant, this is a dish I usually love, - I have to say that any ravioli I have bought in stores has been sadly lacking in taste, even the supposedly "classic" ones, with spinach and ricotta.

None have been anywhere near restaurant raviolis in term of quality, where I expect that they are individually prepared with proper ingredients rather than poor substitutes.

In practice, this means that I no longer buy ravioli; instead, I have several efferent types of pasta t hand, and, if I want the taste of crustacean with my pasta, I will buy crab meat from a fishmonger, and prepare a cream sauce to accompany the crustacean and the pasta.
There is not a lot of space in a ravioli. The little tails we bought were $7 each, and would have been a vast improvement if that about of lobster had been diced up, combined with a cheese filling and placed inside these ravioli. Granted they would have been a few dollars more, but that would have been acceptable.

A restaurant we visit on occasion, Olive Garden, has or used to have an excellent portobello ravioli dinner in a smokey cheese sauce. Mmm, good.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Went out and grilled Asian style Ahi Tuna steaks. Served with medium grained rice, Japanese eggplant pickles, kimchi and freshly made miso soup.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Sounds delicious; Japanese eggplant pickles sound amazing; what brand did you use, or did you make your own?
The pickles are really good, but I did not make them. That's just too much work. My local Japanese store carries them. They're a Japanese brand that I have used for years. Shibazuke are so tasty! These are the ones I use.

large_96c76e58-6293-4441-95be-ea5f3a3d19ca.jpg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I've been learning to make sourdough bread. This is about the 10th try, I think I finally gotten the procedure down pretty well. The yeast have their own hours and you have to wait for them to be ready. In colder climate, its colder in the house and you have to wait longer for the dough to rise. Sometimes I just left the dough outside overnight, instead of inside the fridge as instructed. Oven thermometer is a requirement, because the actual temperature of my oven is 60-75*F cooler than what is set. I have to preheat to 550*F, and then bake at 525*F (which is actually around 460*F).

Also popeyes chicken and falafel. For the chicken, marinated it overnight in buttermilk and seasoning. Then double coated with flour and seasoning. So one flour coat, dipped in buttermilk again, then another coat.

(Google Camera HDR makes them look a bit burnt.)

Attachments

• IMG_20191208_163347.jpg
    IMG_20191208_163347.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20191208_163356.jpg
    IMG_20191208_163356.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20191208_190134.jpg
    IMG_20191208_190134.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20191208_190156.jpg
    IMG_20191208_190156.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I've been learning to make sourdough bread. This is about the 10th try, I think I finally gotten the procedure down pretty well. The yeast have their own hours and you have to wait for them to be ready. In colder climate, its colder in the house and you have to wait longer for the dough to rise. Oven thermometer is a requirement, because the actual temperature of my oven is 60-75*F cooler than what is set. I can do baguette too, but I prefer the round ones.

Also popeyes chicken and falafel. For the chicken, marinated overnight in buttermilk and seasoning. Then double coated with flour and seasoning. So one flour coat, dipped in buttermilk again, then another coat.

Good job! I failed miserably at bread making.

May I respectfully suggest using a touch of flair when scoring the round bread? You know, develop your bread signature?

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
z4ga8kg9ck341.jpg

Had friends over for a annual dinner. Usually cook something more exotic, but wanted a traditional prime rib. Unfortunately I missed the window they were on sale, but the substitute come out really tender and tasty.

10 hour sous vide, Local, grass finished top round, with homemade au jus. Twice cooked rosemary potatoes, Sauteed baby spinach, beet salad, and Velveeta Mac and cheese from the box.

144fjvgjck341.jpg

For desert we made a simple shortbread base, with homemade bitter Myer lemon curd from our tree.

So full lol

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
z4ga8kg9ck341.jpg

Had friends over for a annual dinner. Usually cook something more exotic, but wanted a traditional prime rib. Unfortunately I missed the window they were on sale, but the substitute come out really tender and tasty.

10 hour sous vide, Local, grass finished top round, with homemade au jus. Twice cooked rosemary potatoes, Sauteed baby spinach, beet salad, and Velveeta Mac and cheese from the box.

144fjvgjck341.jpg

For desert we made a simple shortbread base, with homemade bitter Myer lemon curd from our tree.

So full lol

Beautiful!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've been learning to make sourdough bread. This is about the 10th try, I think I finally gotten the procedure down pretty well. The yeast have their own hours and you have to wait for them to be ready. In colder climate, its colder in the house and you have to wait longer for the dough to rise. Sometimes I just left the dough outside overnight, instead of inside the fridge as instructed. Oven thermometer is a requirement, because the actual temperature of my oven is 60-75*F cooler than what is set. I have to preheat to 550*F, and then bake at 525*F (which is actually around 460*F).

Also popeyes chicken and falafel. For the chicken, marinated it overnight in buttermilk and seasoning. Then double coated with flour and seasoning. So one flour coat, dipped in buttermilk again, then another coat.

In Belgium, I had an amazing bread that included beer among its ingredients.

But sourdough bread is amazing; well done on making it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.