Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Just for fun, name the Apple product that lasted you longest. Give the name of the product and how many years it has been working for you. If you can add a picture of it.

Rules:
1-It should be in constant use, not forgotten for 5 years and fired up again for use.
2-Its ok to make it last with replaceable parts like ram, batteries, and hard-drives but going into extreme measures where most the device is not its original parts can't be included.(ex..Mac Pro with a replaced HDD, Motherboard, CPU, Power Supply, fans...etc, you get the idea)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've used my Late 2010 MacBook Air 11" daily since buying it in October (or November) 2010. In some periods it's even been my work machine (for various reasons). I've been extremely happy with it. Never been serviced, not changed anything.

But, lately it's been showing it's age, even if everything works it just feels too slow, and the "rainbow wheel" has appeared more and more, especially on "rich" web sites, so I've been looking for a replacement the last year or so.

This week I received my (shiny) new 1.4 MacBook Pro 13" to replace the old Air. So this weekend I'll empty out the old machine, wipe it and send it back to Apple and get a token sum from the Apple Trade In scheme. I thought that was a more appropriate retirement for the good ol' Air, than collecting dust somewhere in the attic.

PS! My girlfriend still uses her Late 2008 MBP 15", which also is in full working order (disclaimer: she's had to replace the HDD and battery, both years ago). That one is also starting to be too slow for comfort, and she will probably replace it in the near future.

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
1167e8ab79c4544489145b.jpg

Time Capsule.
Bought 2009.
Running 24/7/365, for almost 10 years straight.
1TB Model A1355.

Has never failed.
For either WiFi or for Time Machine.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
View attachment 852228
Time Capsule.
Bought 2009.
Running 24/7/365, for almost 10 years straight.
1TB Model A1355.

Has never failed.
For either WiFi or for Time Machine.
The Time Capsule has proven MUCH more reliable than the AirPort Express it replaced. My 4th gen has also been running flawlessly 24/7 since I got it, sometime in 2011/12 (cannot remember exactly). Very happy with that, too. :)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
2006 Mac Pro 1,1, it has been in constant use for almost 13 years.

I have done upgrades to the RAM, Drives, and GPU, many times over the years.

While it is no longer my main computer, it is still really fast.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I've used my Late 2010 MacBook Air 11" daily since buying it in October (or November) 2010. In some periods it's even been my work machine (for various reasons). I've been extremely happy with it. Never been serviced, not changed anything.

But, lately it's been showing it's age, even if everything works it just feels too slow, and the "rainbow wheel" has appeared more and more, especially on "rich" web sites, so I've been looking for a replacement the last year or so.

This week I received my (shiny) new 1.4 MacBook Pro 13" to replace the old Air. So this weekend I'll empty out the old machine, wipe it and send it back to Apple and get a token sum from the Apple Trade In scheme. I thought that was a more appropriate retirement for the good ol' Air, than collecting dust somewhere in the attic.

PS! My girlfriend still uses her Late 2008 MBP 15", which also is in full working order (disclaimer: she's had to replace the HDD and battery, both years ago). That one is also starting to be too slow for comfort, and she will probably replace it in the near future.
I was actually just given an 11" 2010 Air by a friend of mine. Awesome that yours has lasted you so long. I'm trying to intstall Snow Leopard on mine to use as a hobbyist machine, since I was actually there when he unboxed it all those years ago.

Reactions: orbital~debris

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My 2011 MacBook Pro has been used almost daily for 9 years now, with its original battery. I've opened it to upgrade the RAM once to 16GB, and the storage once to a 1TB HDD 7 years ago (and now to a 1TB SSD 6 months ago).

The SSD made it feel like a brand new machine; no wonder greedy Apple has turned recent models into disposable (non-upgradeable) appliances to mooch more money from us sooner.

And it's had none of the infamous logic board problems *KNOCK ON WOOD*.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
And to contribute to the thread, I've had a few iPods that have lasted me fine since I got them in the mid-late 2000s. I also still have some Macs from that era, but they've had the drives replaced at least one time.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Current record: One of the pizza-box-case Macintosh Performa 400s (I forget which) was used regularly for 16+ years (~1993-2010). Amazing how long things can last when used off-line with legacy software.

Oldest component still in use: The Apple wired number-pad keyboard from my late 2011 iMac is now serving my new 2018 mini. Sadly the left-shift stopped working so it won't be around much longer.

Oldest computer still in constant active use: Early 2015 Macbook Air.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Oldest component still in use: The Apple wired number-pad keyboard from my late 2011 iMac is now serving my new 2018 mini. Sadly the left-shift stopped working so it won't be around much longer.
I didn't even think about keyboards and mice.

I hate the aluminum Apple keyboards, and much rather use the older plastic ones.

The oldest keyboard that I used often, but not daily is the Bondi Blue keyboards from the original iMac, so about 1998.
This is a photo I found:
s-l300.jpg

The second oldest keyboard, but this one is used daily, is the Apple Pro Keyboard M7803 from 2000 or 2001....
I found this photo of it on the web:
apple-m7803-macintosh-wired-pro-usb-computer-keyboard-108-keys-black-clear-57917-p.jpg

I also daily use 2 of the Apple Keyboard A1048. These came out 2003.
Apple_pro_keyboard_german_layout_92684.jpg
I also had a few of the wireless version of these, but they always broke.

I daily use an Apple Mighty Mouse, I think I got the wired one with my 2006 Mac Pro. I love this mouse, and it is my favorite, except when it comes to the nearly impossible job of cleaning the scroll ball.
Here is a photo from Wiki:
250px-Apple_Mighty_Mouse_Wireless_in_perspective.jpg
I had a wireless version of the Mighty Mouse too, but it broke.

Now that I am thinking of it, every Apple wireless mouse or keyboard that I own ended up breaking.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
Mac desktop mid 2008 is still working. Will be tossing it in the bin for pickup as I am trying to declutter.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It isn't used daily, but a few times a year I use my Late 2001 iBook to play old games from the 90's. The latest being Castles 2: Siege and Conquest and SIM Tower.

I haven't done any physical upgrades with maybe the exception of adding an AirPort card. I can't remember if it came with one, or if I installed one. I might be thinking about the 1998 iMac that I installed an AirPort card.

It is not all orignal though, as I replaced the keyboard after my now 13 yo daughter got a hold of the iBook when she was 2 and tore a bunch of keys off the iBook Keyboard. I replaced the keyboard, but I think that is it.

It still runs great, and other than the screen needing like 15 seconds to warm up after being off for a while, is otherwise flawless.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It isn't used daily, but a few times a year I use my Late 2001 iBook to play old games from the 90's. The latest being Castles 2: Siege and Conquest and SIM Tower.

I haven't done any physical upgrades with maybe the exception of adding an AirPort card. I can't remember if it came with one, or if I installed one. I might be thinking about the 1998 iMac that I installed an AirPort card.

It is not all orignal though, as I replaced the keyboard after my now 13 yo daughter got a hold of the iBook when she was 2 and tore a bunch of keys off the iBook Keyboard. I replaced the keyboard, but I think that is it.

It still runs great, and other than the screen needing like 15 seconds to warm up after being off for a while, is otherwise flawless.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I also replaced the battery a few times, not really an upgrade, but an OEM replacement.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Mine? 2011 Mac mini. Bought it off of a coworker who was using it for a media server - used it for years and years. Haven't touched it in the last year ever since getting my MBP tho. I have an iPod shuffle I used for almost 7 years - but haven't touched that since getting my Apple Watch with AirPods almost two years ago.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A bunch of 2nd gen iPod nanos (2006). Still use them with a FM transmitter in my even more ancient car. They are so fine, can't believe they are still going... and that they connect happily to an iTunes library on a mid-2012 MBP running Mojave.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
An iMac G5 (think '03) that is plugged in all the time, but limited use, and a TiBook that is still used for showing DVDs when doing Gun & Knife Shows.

Reactions: LizKat

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The longest running semi-regular use Apple device would be my 2006 Macbook. Which I got used in 2008/9 and used semi-regularly until 2017. I say semi-regularly as I just used it at job sites. Most of the time I use a desktop.

My longest running regular use Apple device would be the iPhone 5s. Which got nearly five years of daily use.

I have older devices but they just sit and collect dust. The oldest being a IIcx.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
A late 2011 13" MacBook Pro that I purchased in January of 2012 got replaced this past December, so almost a full seven years on that one (I've still used it a couple times since then to rip some DVDs)

My first iPod, a 5th Generation/Video that I got in December of 2005 lasted about 6.5 years before I swapped it for a much larger capacity Classic in the spring of 2012. That Classic is still going strong now, though it doesn't get nearly as much use as my first one did.

And my mac.com email address that I've been using as my primary email since the spring of 2008 (back when we had to pay for it!)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Current record: One of the pizza-box-case Macintosh Performa 400s (I forget which) was used regularly for 16+ years (~1993-2010). Amazing how long things can last when used off-line with legacy software.

Oldest computer still in constant active use: Early 2015 Macbook Air.

My 2014 Mac mini. It’s still going strong and in use today, though it’s running Debian and not macOS.

What did you use the performa for? 90s computers would be absolutely archaic within 4 years.

Also, I wouldn't consider '15 Macbook Air and '14 Mac Mini old, they are still in their official expected life time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.