Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I'm looking for a decent case/bag for my G9. I already have 2 camera bags that have been bundled with previous purchases, and I really don't care for either of them. I see there are carry/holster cases, and that option seems appealing since they are smaller bags and could work for hiking and the like. I'm looking to travel light, so something that can carry/protect a G9 with 12-60 or a telephoto. Just curious how others carry their gear.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I have the Thinktank Retrospective 10.
It holds my XT3 and four lenses. 3 small and one tele-zoom. Also holds batteries and other bits.
My camera gear is small sized so it works for me.

32853250-0C7C-4953-AA7A-2B4445271278.jpeg

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
My answer won’t be helpful for you. For vacations or an event I have a lowepro backpack. But for everyday I just throw my camera in my purse.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I have several that I use in different settings. Lowepro makes a couple of styles that hold the camera gear in the bottom and have a relatively large compartment on top for some snacks and a light jacket. I have the small and large size of one of the styles and like both of them a lot.

Reactions: ericgtr12

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I, too , have a bunch of bags , but for my SL2 I bit the bullet and picked up a Billingham Small Hadley Pro .
It'll hold the camera with a 18-135 or 15-85 mounted , a 10-18 plus a 24 2.8 ,plus has enough room for SD cards , spare battery , charger , remote .

closed up.jpg

stuff.jpg

stuff inside.jpg

Nice bag , but you pay through the lungs to get one unless you can find one used on eBay.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Domke and ThinkTank have been my two primary sources of bags, which I have accumulated over many years, and I also have a LowePro or two and I did have a couple of Pelican cases (used for storing lenses) until very recently. For carrying around my Sony RX10 M4 and its little sister the RX100 M6 I have used an old Domke bag that was just the right size. Now that I've just bought a new Sony full-frame camera (A7R IV) and three lenses I'll be figuring out which of my ThinkTank bags or Domkes works the best for them. Each shooting situation is different and locations are different, so when just shooting around home I choose one setup of bag and camera body and lens or two, but when shooting away from home when there might be different requirements, that's when it is good to have a larger bag that holds everything.

When I am setting out to do some specific shooting in the past I have selected the appropriate lenses for that occasion and then have figured out which bag will work out the best for me. I want quick and easy access to the lens(es) and the camera body. Use the gear, then safely stash it away..... hastily pull it out again when an unexpected opportunity presents itself before I've left the place. When going shooting I also use the camera bag as my "purse," so that I'm not bothering with another item hanging from my neck or shoulder. A Domke bag has pockets that will neatly and nicely stash away my wallet and other needed items when I'm going out-and-about to a botanical garden or somewhere else.

I have a ThinkTank backpack but have only used it a couple of times; in the long run I'm just not a backpack sort of person! I like a shoulder bag that I can grab and use cross-body or just on one shoulder and I like being able to reach into the thing quickly, grab the camera with or without lens attached, and then move along..... In the days when I was shooting more extensively and toting around a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 prime, I had a wheeled (Lowepro?) bag to transport camera body and lens and another lens or two without throwing my back out since I was also hauling a tripod with a Wimberley gimbal attached..... Those days are behind me now.

I want to be able to just quickly reach into a bag and grab the camera body if it is not already out ready for action (currently trying out a cross-body sling for the cameras), and I want to be able to easily and quickly change lenses on the fly, sometimes under rather adverse conditions, so a bag that provides me the opportunity to do just that is much appreciated. I dearly love my old Domkes for this reason, as most of them do really well under the situations I am in.

Last edited:

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I think I've used all of the bags mentioned, along with several others.

Several years ago I heard about Wotancraft and have been using their "trooper" series ever since.

https://www.wotancraft.tw/product/trooper-s-ash-green

I have a small and medium trooper. The small works well with either a Sony A7 series or Nikon Z series. It's the perfect size for my current combo of either a Z7 with a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom or Sigma 40mm f/1.4 prime. If I'm using a 70-200mm f/2.8 with adapter I have to use the medium bag. The medium is also my bag of choice when traveling on a plane as I can fit more stuff into it.

Both allow easy access to my camera. Both have decent padding (especially on the bottom), both have side pockets that can expand to be quite spacious, both have an "extra" leather strap on the outside of the main strap where I can store a bunched-up light windbreaker. They also don't scream camera bag.

I took the Thinktank Retrospective on a trip to Italy several years ago and my wife learned to stop walking when she heard the sound of velcro opening. Thinktank is thoughtful in that it is possible to disengage the velcro holding the flap down so you can open the flap quietly, but then the flap isn't secured at all.

With the Wotancraft there is no velcro. You can quietly secure/unsecure the leather strap or leave the flap open. But there are magnets holding the flap closed even if the leather strap isn't secured.

The Thinktank retrospective is a great bag. As is the Billingham. I've also used Ona bags in the past (https://onabags.com/collections/messenger-bags), but prefer Thinktank, Billingham, or Wotancraft bags for various reasons (though the ONA Bowery is a very small and rugged bag which worked well with a Leica M9/MM and one extra lens).

Bags end up being very personal. There is no one bag that is right for everyone. I've personally found that the Wotancraft trooper bags work very well for me and I prefer them over any other bag I've used.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That is so true that bags end up being very personal and also that there is no one bag that is right for everyone or for every situation! That's why we all have so many bags! LOL!

I hadn't heard of the Wotancraft bags before; I'll have to check that out....

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
While a lot of detail below, one thing I would suggest if you have a decent camera store locally. I took my gear in during a weekday (not busy weekend) and transferred it between the Domke being replaced to the ones I was considering. The store didn't mind...if fact encouraged it as it was the salesperson's suggestion.

For decades I used that now ratty Domke until I realized that the wear abrasions on camera bodies and lens was due to the lack of padding. Replaced it with the tall Tenba which I liked so much I later bought the smaller one. The Lowepro backpack is a combination camera side access and upper daypack. Where the Camelback bladder is designed to go, a 15” MBP just barely fits and is so tight concerned about a 16” upgrade path. For air travel, the large Tenba and backpack are my two carry-one. The large Tenba will also carry either the iPad or color chart in the narrow rear compartment. The Tenba also has a strap to secure to the extended handle on a wheeled suitcase. While I wanted tall and narrow (smaller lens are two high with padded divider) considered both ThinkTank and Peak. The Peak was too narrow But really liked the ”non-camera bag look). ThinkTank was close but think there was some concern how it closed. What sold me on the Tenba was 1) top access with zipper, flap latch, and “military quiet” Velcro if pulling down to release rather than out. Ruled out both Lowepro and Tamrac as the screamed "camera bag" with the well known names pasted across them. The smaller Tenba, while illustrated with the A6000 and lens, is really intended for day use. I sold my 24-70 and now use primes (or the 16-35 on the low end) and can hold 2 lens plus carry the camera with 3rd lens over shoulder. Do need a slightly taller small case though as no where to put a 70-200 or higher when not on camera and want to use a prime (other than baggy cargo pants pocket which I wear in the field).
46F972C8-8989-4080-8878-3469CE955A06.jpeg
E8CA6802-AA8C-469B-A3C9-D3F9135F1B50.jpeg

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
While I was taking photos of camera bags, here is a example of cheap, but used for video. The DeWalt tool box from Home Depot (less than $30) plus foam sheets from JoAnn Fabricks custom cut for stabilizer far cheaper than DJI custom case - and looks don’t matter as it is just me. The medium $30 waterproof Apache case from Harbor Freight is far cheaper than the similar size Pelican 1400 or 1500 in the $200+ range. It came with the uncut but square pullouts to custom design the fit of the contents - video monitor and sound equipment as pictured - and have thought about getting another to customize for camera gear. Might even splurge for the large or extra large case at $40 or $60. Unfortunately, the largest wasn't large enough to accommodate the stabilizer with balancing stand and other gear to transition the DeWalt over to actually holding tools.
091D73D3-7232-4D0B-BC16-532C0FCDC2CC.jpeg
AEB1E881-C85D-49C2-9107-98EBB7CB87C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
While I was taking photos of camera bags, here is a example of cheap, but used for video. The DeWalt tool box from Home Depot (less than $30) plus foam sheets from JoAnn Fabricks custom cut for stabilizer far cheaper than DJI custom case - and looks don’t matter as it is just me. The medium $30 waterproof Apache case from Harbor Freight is far cheaper than the similar size Pelican 1400 or 1500 in the $200+ range. It came with the uncut but square pullouts to custom design the fit of the contents - video monitor and sound equipment as pictured - and have thought about getting another to customize for camera gear. Might even splurge for the large or extra large case at $40 or $60. Unfortunately, the largest wasn't large enough to accommodate the stabilizer with balancing stand and other gear to transition the DeWalt over to actually holding tools. View attachment 878597 View attachment 878598
That’s a pretty good solution. I’m sure most folks wouldn’t notice the difference.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I just recently upgraded to the Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack and love it. Plenty of room for all my gear and a little more. The only issue I have is loaded down it weighs a lot, but that's because it holds a lot, so I deal with it. It currently holds 2 bodies and 7 lenses. Plus extra batteries and cards, my iPad and MacBook Pro occasionally, a flash, some filters and my tripod.

Peak Design Everyday Backpack

Reactions: Indydenny

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I have an old Thinktank Retrospective that is great for over-the-shoulder use. It is one of the larger ones and you can have everything Velcro closed or cover up the Velcro for silent opening.

I also have the Gura Gear Kiboko for traveling. It can fit a ton of gear and still slide right into an overhead bin. When I went to Guatemala I got stopped at customs because I had so much gear. ;)

https://www.guragear.com

And finally I have a Pelican case that goes to Burning Man.
[automerge]1574465988[/automerge]
Oh, I also have a Tenba bag but that's for my 4x5 and not something that most people would be lugging around. ;)

https://www.photovideoedu.com/Shop/Products/bags-cases/car-cases/Tenba-Car-Case-CCV45.aspx

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Crumpler Proper Roady bag. It's similar to their Million Dollar Bag. Traveling I would use that or my modded Timbuk2 backpack which has a compartment for my Mac or iPad and stuff.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I have several that I use in different settings. Lowepro makes a couple of styles that hold the camera gear in the bottom and have a relatively large compartment on top for some snacks and a light jacket. I have the small and large size of one of the styles and like both of them a lot.
Same here, not only does the large size hold all my equipment well, it has enough room to leave my 70-200 f2.8L on the camera body in the bag which is a huge bonus.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Oops didn’t read first post, missed it was about cameras

I’ll leave this here anyway

I always used a leather bag but now spending more time in London I wanted a backpack.

I also like smart and minimal. This also expands out if needed. Only ever carry a power supply if I’m out overnight, keep one at home and in both our office, never been caught out on the road.

Expensive but the quality is noticeably better than the others I ordered at the same time to compare with it.

Briggs & Riley Kinzie Street 2.0 Slim Expandable Backpack Briefcase, 43 cm, Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NRN4RGP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aQY.Db4DEYNJS

52e00ade71c2833c07e61e6cb0776e46.plist
758af25916cf9432df49881023a2a2c5.plist

This is my leather case
Again expensive although I managed to get it when there was £120 off

dab8082ffb15a69224847859cbf776cb.plist
663a3ec29ca1dea832335aab809928b4.plist

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I do not carry lenses nor cameras, but delicate electronic equipment of similar dimmensions, in addition to paper documents and laptop/ipad.

I have a leather square roll to "wrap" the most delicate items, for the least delicate but fragile items I use normal soft fabric foam-like laptop sleeves and throw everything in a nightflight montblanc weekend bag

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 194

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I use a LowePro SH160 bag for just the camera and zoom lens, but when I want to take more, I use a Canon DSLR Backpack.

Both for different use cases but both equally as useful.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Depends on how, why and where I'm travelling or doing but typically I'm using either an ONA Bowery else the ONA Prince Street. The Prince Street actually spends most of its time as my work bag as it fits my 13" MBP perfectly.

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Domke F-5XB Shoulder and Belt Ruggedwear Bag

I also own also this weathered look bag. Great all metal hardware too.

51Y8JZfM1rL._AC_.jpg

5136mb+AScL._AC_.jpg

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I have three, a large Tenba Shootout rolling backpack, a LowePro AWII 450 and Tinbuk2 messenger bag with Snoop insert for when I want to be a little inconspicuous. The LowePro is the largest allowed for carryons for most US airlines.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Nothing fancy for me. I used a "duck hunter's" bag (duck blind), camouflaged and has a water resistant outer layer, and a padded interior (walls and floor). It serves its purpose since I usually shoot wildlife outdoors, sled dog races during the winter, and things like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.