Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
but why that monitor when you can get an LG 27UL500-W for $250
The more I did my research the more I realized that I'd have to scale up the 4k display to a point where I would not get much of an increase in screen real estate. I'd rather get a 34" wide display that will allow me an increased in screen real estate. Yes, the screen images will be sharp due to the pixel density, but my motivation to buy is not sharpness as much as more screen real estate.

Given the prices right now, 4k just seems like such a better deal than the lower resolutions. Is it some problem with the connections?
Perhaps, but after doing a lot of research I'm feeling like an ultra wide would suit me better. Why buy something that may be a "better deal" but does not suit me.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The more I did my research the more I realized that I'd have to scale up the 4k display to a point where I would not get much of an increase in screen real estate. I'd rather get a 34" wide display that will allow me an increased in screen real estate. Yes, the screen images will be sharp due to the pixel density, but my motivation to buy is not sharpness as much as more screen real estate.

Perhaps, but after doing a lot of research I'm feeling like an ultra wide would suit me better. Why buy something that may be a "better deal" but does not suit me.
I have to admit I'm not sure what "screen real estate" means.

But if you want to have more content on your screen, then 4k over that monitor's resolution is a better value. All you can display on any monitor are pixels, and 3840x2160 (8.3MP) is a lot more than 3440x1440 (5MP). How much those pixels are enlarged (the ppi, which is those 5MP divided by the acreage of the screen in inches) is rather independent of that. Not to mention the aspect ratio; that 3440x1440 is nice for games that support ultra wide aspects, but not even sure there are HiDPI graphics for it.

And sharpness depends on both the ppi and the distance. Old, non-retina displays like the 3440x1440 will show pixellation closer than about 31", which is about the same as the old pre-retina iMacs. A 4k won't show pixellation until you get closer than 22".

But yeah, if your ergonomics are such that you have to have the monitor further away then say an icon or button on it will appear the same size in your FOV as the 4k closer up. Just that the 4k icon will have twice the detail as the 3440. And of course a lot more of your image will be visible at 1:1 on the 4k (that 8.3 vs 5 difference again).

And I find for proofing that with the retina screens and 4k it's much easier to scale up images or other content since the resolution is higher, especially in 2x jumps (essentially 4 pixels for 1 in the image) on those occasions when I need a blow up. But it doesn't work the other way with lower res screens.

But yeah, I do agree with you that doesn't make sense to buy something that doesn't suit you even if cheaper, and I'm certainly not one to scorn older tech myself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have to admit I'm not sure what "screen real estate" means.
Literally more screen to use

But if you want to have more content on your screen, then 4k over that monitor's resolution is a better value. All you can display on any monitor are pixels, and 3840x2160 (8.3MP) is a lot more than 3440x1440 (5MP). How much those pixels are enlarged (the ppi, which is those 5MP divided by the acreage of the screen in inches) is rather independent of that. Not to mention the aspect ratio; that 3440x1440 is nice for games that support ultra wide aspects, but not even sure there are HiDPI graphics for it.
The problem with a 27" 4k screen is that at native resolution everything will be so small that its unreadable. You need to use scaling to make things bigger. Making things bigger means you have less room on the display to work from. So I'm spending money but I'm not gaining much benefit from a larger display. Yes the pixel density will sufficiently high so things look sharp but in the end, I want more screen area and that's not going to happen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Here's some information regarding ultra wides related to screen real estate

https://www.displayninja.com/ultrawide-vs-4k/

1574788497646.png

Emphasis added:
Upgrading to a 4K UHD display from 1080p or even 1440p may also take some time getting used to as even on a 32-inch screen, the 4K resolution provides you with a high pixel density making everything on your desktop tiny.

So, you will need to scale the interface by a certain amount to make small items such as icons and text easily readable. A problem occurs when some applications don’t scale well or not at all, leaving you with a messy desktop with either too small or too large elements.

And
https://lifehacker.com/screen-real-estate-showdown-ultrawide-vs-4k-monitors-1787204873
The end result was this feeling that I could keep everything open on my desktop at the same time without overlapping windows or having to minimize or hide anything, which was great. The only problem was that I really couldn’t read everything that well

Last edited:

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
I've also found that a lower resolution screen will appear to zoom more on 100% in Lightroom, as the individual pixels are bigger. While a 4k screen won't be able to zoom in much as the resolution of the screen isn't much smaller than the MP of my camera.

Now that can be a pro or con depending on what people are looking for, but for me, when I zoom I want the picture to get bigger ;)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I beg to differ with the info about 4k being too small, especially for those of use using a lot of visual media. Obviously there are 4k 80" HDTVs, and 4k 15.4" laptops. And 4k tablets. And probably 4k 50' stadium displays. ALL display the same info, 3840x2160 pixels. So, if you say cropped your image to that pixel size, it would be exactly the same info on all of that screen real estate.

So is it too small? one could only determine that once one knew the viewing distance. Each of those example has very different PPIs; high pixel density for say a phone or tablet (264 PPI for a 9" iPad), a bit less dense for a laptop (say 226PPI for the new 16" MBP), a bit less dense for the 5k iMac (217). And note that because of the retina system most people don't have issues reading on Apple retina displays from iPhones to iMacs. So if that monitor is a few feet away, then yeah, having big pixels and such might work fine, even though it means sacrifice the amount of content you can see at once. But get close and yikes, screen door effect. Like why we had to sit across the room to watch standard def TV. But again, it's easier to enlarge an image on a hires screen and get good results than the other way around; you lose info trying to cram in more content on a low res monitor.

And the info in that article must be some PC stuff. MacOS uses hires graphics. In other words, in macOS retina aware applications like say Photoshop, Lightroom, and so on, the user elements are literally twice as large in each dimension on say a 4k or 5k display. Since they're using a 200x200 icon instead of a 100x100 icon. You can see the difference. For example, I ran a 2.5k 27" monitor (old iMac PPI) right next to a retina iMac. If you took out a ruler and measured the Safari icon it was exactly the same dimensions on both screens. But the icon on the iMac was far denser, with more detail, than the 2.5k lores icon. And the way that retina works on Macs is that those icons, menu items, buttons, etc in the user interface all remain that size even if you say switch to viewing your content, an image, at 1:1 (what we used to call "native" resolution). So, essentially, resolution-wise you get to have and eat your cake: more content at 1:1 on the screen without having to suffer tiny icons, text and other stuff like some of our unfortunate Windows using cousins. It's an amazing Apple feat, especially for photographers.

And obviously this works, since no one would be buying modern Apple stuff if it didn't, since it's all pretty much hires retina now across the product line. People swapped out old 2.5k iMacs for 5k new retina iMacs and didn't miss a beat.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I beg to differ with the info about 4k being too small,
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I tend to agree with what I had linked too, you seem worked up over my choosing a WQHD 34" over a 27" 4k ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ While I haven't pulled the trigger, I'm at peace with my decision. I'm assuming that you're happy with your 4k monitors and that's great, my decision in no way invalidates your's

And the info in that article must be some PC stuff. MacOS uses hires graphics.
Who says I'm using a Mac

Reactions: mpfuchs

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I tend to agree with what I had linked too, you seem worked up over my choosing a WQHD 34" over a 27" 4k ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ While I haven't pulled the trigger, I'm at peace with my decision. I'm assuming that you're happy with your 4k monitors and that's great, my decision in no way invalidates your's

Who says I'm using a Mac
Oh, sorry, didn't notice you were using a PC. Just assumed since MacRumors and all....

But don't listen to me, go for it. I do not work on commission ;). I still think that author is rather ill-informed, but seeing now we're talking PCs the calculation might change. A deeper analysis of how to tweak PCs to get more retina-type goodness is here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-adjust-high-dpi-scaling-in-windows-10/.

And I only have only one 4k (Dell, for PC and Mac) monitor actually; the rest of my stuff I noticed in writing this is all now hires retina, both PC and Mac, since you asked what we're using. Good luck; hope you get the Black Fri discount.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)

Who says I'm using a Mac
If you are on Windows 10, scaling to 175% produces fairly good results on 4K. There are some legacy Windows apps that have some blurry fonts, but it’s pretty rare these days. LR6 is pretty spacious, actually.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I'm debating to replace my venerable 10+-year-old Apple cinema display. I was thinking of a 4k 27" or an ultra wide 34"

It dawned on me that it will be nice to see what other photographers are rocking with. It may give me a perspective and insight.

For instance, I can't see using all of the screen real estate of a 34" display for lightroom and if its a curved display will that skew the images?
LG 34" ultrawide (the USBC 5120 8 2160 one that also charges my MacBook Pro)
which replaced an
LG 34" ultrawide (the thunderbolt one at 3440*1440)

In both cases, the monitor is almost like dual displays with no bezel in between. I have room to work in 4K with stuff to one side.

I looked at the 49" version, but it was a bit too big for my desk.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Back in December of 2019 I treated myself to an early Christmas gift of an LG 24" Thunderbolt 3 4K monitor available at the Apple Store, and I have been thoroughly enjoying this monitor ever since then. The 24" is the "sweet spot" for me and I don't want anything larger, nor do I want a second monitor. What I've got works well for me and that's what is important.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
My 32" Viewsonic 4k monitor developed a panel fault that makes it not useable. So off I go in search of a possible replacement.

Been thinking of the BenQ models, and the LGs.
SW271 would be nice, but that's a bit over my budget.

As for large screen sizes, I had to scale the 32" 4k to 2560x1440 in order to be able to read / see comfortably. 4k resolution was just too hard on my old eyes.

That's why I'm looking back to a 27" or even some of the curved displays.

Decisions......

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My 32" Viewsonic 4k monitor developed a panel fault that makes it not useable. So off I go in search of a possible replacement.

Been thinking of the BenQ models, and the LGs.
SW271 would be nice, but that's a bit over my budget.

As for large screen sizes, I had to scale the 32" 4k to 2560x1440 in order to be able to read / see comfortably. 4k resolution was just too hard on my old eyes.

That's why I'm looking back to a 27" or even some of the curved displays.

Decisions......
There are no curved colour accurate screens. If the SW271 is too pricey look at the SW270c

Reactions: stillcrazyman

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
9.7” iPad display. I’ve pretty much migrated editing away from my Mac's.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I have a 27” Benq photo display and an older 23” second display for email etc. I’d like a larger main display if possible or perhaps a big Cintiq as I do a lot of pretty intensive retouching work.

Id also think carefully about connectors as USB 4 is on its way and there is a bit of a mixture of alternatives at the moment.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
In an itinerant phase of life, currently using the 13 inch screen on a 2017 MacBook Air, and not really liking it for photography.

Looking forward to setting up a Mac Mini when I get to settle down somewhere again. Will probably go for a 22 inch monitor, as I had until late last year, or maybe 24 inch. Anything bigger seems too big to take in when sat editing at a desk.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I went with the Dell 49” and love it. It replaced 2 - 27” 1440p monitors and it has the same resolution as both of those together, but without the bezel. When connected to my PC the display software is amazing, a little more limiting when connected to my Mac, but BetterSnapTool helps with this.

A62DAE71-2CC2-4101-BD72-5CC94B5628D2.jpeg

Reactions: rhett7660

infelix

macrumors member
May 23, 2020
I use a 43" 4k for my desktop, but it's mostly used as a TV with my Apple TV 4k nowadays, don't think I've booted up my desktop in at least 3 months now. Next time I'm getting a new monitor, I'll probably go a bit smaller but I won't get a lower resolution than 4k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.