Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve mentioned it before, but caught a couple episodes of Ken Burn’s The Civil War. It’s so historic, deadly, and watchable. The early war was so dismal for the North. General McClellan could have basically ended the war by taking Richmond... which he didn’t, instead with a superior force decided to run away.

2375A7CA-CC06-495E-8B56-25594B65117C.jpeg

B3CF7D06-3B57-4CB0-9FEC-577E77794CC0.jpeg
[automerge]1573598646[/automerge]
A documentary on Amazon about their working practices and things sold online on channel 4.
I take it’s a bad report.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’ve mentioned it before, but caught a couple episodes of Ken Burn’s The Civil War. It’s so historic, deadly, and watchable. The early war was so dismal for the North. General McClellan could have basically ended the war by taking Richmond... which he didn’t, instead with a superior force decided to run away.

[automerge]1573598646[/automerge]

I take it’s a bad report.
To be honest it was pretty poor, but nothing I hadn’t heard before. It wasn’t a great piece of journalism Tbh.

Reactions: Huntn

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Watched the first episode of "The Mandalorian" on Disney+ last night. Very well done! I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Excellent cinematography and a good script. A worthy addition to the Star Wars universe!

Reactions: kazmac

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Watchmen is ridiculously fantastic, and, FWIW, it's not headed into Legion territory, even with it being comic source and starring Jean Smart (per a previous comment). It's smart, funny, subversive, and pays extreme respect to the Alan Moore source material - and I say this as a HUGE fan of Moore, the original comic, i.e., someone who bought the series as it was released (still have my mint 1st editions), own a trade copy, a hardback special limited edition, and even a set of posters (that includes the 12 covers, the original pre-release promo posters and the French edition covers).

Lindelof is doing something that's both The Watchmen, and something unique, it's pretty brilliant, a bit unpredictable, it's on par with his work on The Leftovers (that also used original source as a springboard to do something a bit different).

Reactions: RootBeerMan

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Watched the first episode of "The Mandalorian" on Disney+ last night. Very well done! I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Excellent cinematography and a good script. A worthy addition to the Star Wars universe!
Grrrrr. I’d rather hear it was rubbish as I’d rather not subscribe to another platform right now.

Reactions: kazmac

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If I keep hearing things like this, I might have to binge subscribe it after the season is complete. :)

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Grrrrr. I’d rather hear it was rubbish as I’d rather not subscribe to another platform right now.
I agree with @RootBeerMan - Felt like Star Wars with a bit of spaghetti western goodness thrown in. Won't say anything else.
Well, it certainly isn't "rubbish". Far from it! Like kazmac says, it has a very western vibe to the whole thing and that really makes it pop!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WWII In Color- (Netflix) Season1. WWII documentary using original colorized footage.

Kominsky Method- (Netflix) Season 2. Enjoyable Michael Douglass, Alan Arkin vehicle about the life of an aging acting coach.
14F54ECD-B1BF-46F9-A350-A38C3305321E.jpeg

61BA3A8F-E2C8-45EE-8DF8-6F8DFA1ABB6E.jpeg
I would never have recognized
Kathleen Turner.

6819A25F-81E9-4B1B-8D33-9925A31D116B.jpeg
...but I did recognize Paul Rieser. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Excellent. Sharp Objects is fantastic, and it's 8 and done, so very focused, dark, brilliant performances. We're working on S1 of Ozarks which is very good so far, and we have Castle Rock on deck :D

Based on these choices, I'd also recommend [for you], Channel Zero, it's 3 seasons, with each season self-contained, based on "creepy pastas", really fun, scary, totally different vibe vs. other shows in the same genre.

Side note: glad you got your Ebay purchase / refund sorted out!
How far did you get with Ozark? We just tried it out and did not make it to the end of the first episode. Stories like this can be really good, example Bloodlines, but this did not do it for us, they don’t slowly get in over their heads, they start already under water, and the wife knows the husband is involved with a drug cartel.

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Watched the 1st episode of "Watchmen" last night. I really liked it! Good cinematography and good acting! Can't wait to see the others!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Earlier I was watching some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
  • Season 5, Episode 5: Disaster
  • Season 5, Episode 7: Unification Part I
  • Season 5, Episode 8: Unification Part II
In S5E5, I was laughing pretty good at watching Worf attempt to assist Keiko O'Brien during labor. He was following some written guidelines on how a baby is born and timelines for each step. When the next step came along he was confused as to why it wasn't happening right away and kept prodding and questioning Keiko as to why the process of labor wasn't going according to plan. LOL

The Unification episodes are duly excellent with Lenord Nimoy reprising his role as Spock and going undercover on Romulus in order to try to bring peace between them and the Vulcans. It also has the added perk of the mind meld at the end with Picard who helps bring closure between Spock and his dead father Sarak by letting him read his katra.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Several new seasons of shows we watch, including Man in The High Castle, but tonight we are starting Season 3 of The Crown which begins in 1964.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How far did you get with Ozark? We just tried it out and did not make it to the end of the first episode. Stories like this can be really good, example Bloodlines, but this did not do it for us, they don’t slowly get in over their heads, they start already under water, and the wife knows the husband is involved with a drug cartel.

My wife wanted me to watch Ozark for a long time and I just got around to it this year. It's not the slow burn that Bloodline is, but it is extremely well done and a good story. I'd suggest give it a few more episodes. Like Bloodline, it's all about the family drama and how that plays out.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Watched the 1st episode of "Watchmen" last night. I really liked it! Good cinematography and good acting! Can't wait to see the others!

The episode this past Sunday was just ridiculously fantastic, so many things revealed, and yes, as fans of the comic have wanted ... well, that would be spoiling things :D

Can't say enough good things about it, five As in row on AVC, 96% on RT (ignore the idiotic user reviews).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Holy smokes, it's so terribly bad, even when I've seen it semi-recently, I still can't believe it :D

That aside, Carrie Fisher was/always/is a goddess ?

Glad this person posted a "clean copy" - I'm used to watching a 3rd generation original VHS recording (complete with tape distortions) a buddy of mine transferred to DVD...

Looks like this person recorded it off the air in SP a bit later in years as I thought I saw a symbol for Star Wars Trilogy in the right hand corner - perhaps the station was doing a Star Wars Marathon? How they were still able to broadcast this is beyond me...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Glad this person posted a "clean copy" - I'm used to watching a 3rd generation original VHS recording (complete with tape distortions) a buddy of mine transferred to DVD...

Looks like this person recorded it off the air in SP a bit later in years as I thought I saw a symbol for Star Wars Trilogy in the right hand corner - perhaps the station was doing a Star Wars Marathon? How they were still able to broadcast this is beyond me...

It does look good! A buddy of mine had a Nth generation VHS copy, that eventually put onto a DVD, but wow, it was horrible, the top 1/4 of the screen was curled, hahaha, audio drop out!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It does look good! A buddy of mine had a Nth generation VHS copy, that eventually put onto a DVD, but wow, it was horrible, the top 1/4 of the screen was curled, hahaha, audio drop out!

LOL - I'm used to seeing the original commercials with it - it was sponsored by GM... showed the cars and factory workers. The "premier" commercial a the end was for Kenner's new line of Star Wars toys for the holidays!!!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My wife wanted me to watch Ozark for a long time and I just got around to it this year. It's not the slow burn that Bloodline is, but it is extremely well done and a good story. I'd suggest give it a few more episodes. Like Bloodline, it's all about the family drama and how that plays out.

Yeah, it's pretty solid, fits into what I guess I'd call, modern family crime drama, with little moments of dark humor, the leads are terrific, there's enough depth to where it's pretty engaging, but that first EP barely establishes where it's going, I'd give a few more - especially let it get into the some of the town intrigue and characters, some really good stuff.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Mr Robot season 4
i guess they are up to episode 7
expecting 13 episodes total so will have to wait a bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.