Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
Well

I hated myspace at first. When my girlfriend used it, I never wanted to ever get an account. After awhile I finally gave in, and I am glad I did. Believe it or not, I found many friends that I had lost contact with after I graduated from high school. Going our seperate ways, some of us didnt really make phone contact, and cell phone numbers got changed, etc, etc. That is the best part, when one day you get a friend request thinking "Oh great, another random person... Then you check out their profile and realize it's an old friend from school. Pretty fun. Unfortunatly, I don't like the fact comments are posted on you're profile prior to you reviewing/authorizing them, it's not the best idea in the world. I really did hate myspace, then I got an account. It wasn't untill I really found a few people that I used to know that I began enjoying myspace.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
yah00z said:
Unfortunatly, I don't like the fact comments are posted on you're profile prior to you reviewing/authorizing them, it's not the best idea in the world.
There is a setting to change that. You can make it that you have to authorize anything in Comments.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
baleensavage said:
The reason MySpace sucks is that is has the worst design of any blogging tool out there.

I agree that technically it's pretty poor... but if you want to meet/interact with the maximum number of people, it can't be beaten. And yeah, you could say it's too customisable, and people have horrible profiles - but I know people with equally horribly decorated homes, and I don't complain that homes are too customisable. It allows people to show some of their character - and if that's not something you like, you don't have to be friends with them.

From a band point of view, it's fantastic. Yes, there are FAR better designed band sites out there, but they are frequented only by other bands. The very fact that bands are an afterthought makes it the perfect place to find fans.

So it has its (big!) problems, but its anarchy is also what makes it successful. Other sites may be better designed, but few have the same spirit.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
calebjohnston said:
How about when girls become total sluts and break up with their boyfriends because they meet to many guys on myspace? That's probably a problem. Trust me.

How about all the kids that are molested on there every day?

How about the children that are setting up to meet "friends" from there, and then get kidnapped.

Need more?

Wow, I'm sorry, I know this discussion is winding down but this post is nothing more than regurgitated FUD from the media.

Not to bring out the tired old "Guns don't kill people..." cliche, but MySpace doesn't make anyone a slut. People who already are sluts make themselves more available on Myspace. Lesson: If you're worried about your girlfriend up and runnning out on you for someone on myspace, either:

1) You don't trust her (you have a problem)
2) Your girlfriend IS a slut (she has a probelm, and you're an idiot for putting so much into a relationship with her)
3) Your relationship isn't that strong (you both have a problem)

Children get kidnapped from MySpace because they were never properly educated on strangers when they were younger, and they're hungry for attention. You don't hear this more often because the Media likes to demonize everything realitively new and online, and nobody is going to tell someone who'd kid got kidnapped it happened becuase they were a lousy parent.

What's the number one reaosn people get kidnapped from chatting, myspace, ect? I imagine it's agreeing to meet the person in a private place, or meeting in public but letting them convince you to go someplace private when you don't really know them and aren't able to defend yourself.

How about all the kids that are mollested there everyday? Like who? Do you have any real figures with sources showing Myspace to be the most dangerous place in the world you make it out to be, or are you just fearmongering?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I wouldnt call it fearmongering so much as its the parents fault as you say.

If someone, young or old, is dumb enough to meet a stranger somewhere even stranger, without ever meeting them before, then I guess they deserve what they get.

Common sense seems to be slipping away as kids get more and more mature at a younger and younger age.

The real question in my mind is always this:

Where are the parents?

willhclark

macrumors member
Myspace certainly has its problems which all of you covered but it has its merits too and is getting hugely popular which leads ro my question.

My Mac Mini G4 is horribly slow loading some pages on myspace and occasionaly ill come across a page that makes safari locks up completely while these same pages load fine on and old Windows PC.

As a loyal Mac user this is very fustrating!!!!

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
People on here bitch about myspace, but if you look at it, everyone that has .mac and has a homepage their is basically doing the same thing. Making a space for themselves on the web to put hat they feel, post pics and mov ies, etc. What's the big deal people. In no offense whatsoever...GET OVER IT.
-dsm

SublimeProgie

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
missoula, montana
i have myspace, and enjoy it. sure there are people that make it annoying, but no offense i am sure there are annoying people here too. i am able to keep in touch with some of my good friends from across the country for free so i cant complain.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
Nothing is wrong with Myspace itself, but there are a lot of strange people out there who use myspace as a way to get to people and use it in a bad way.

swano

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
Toronto
I don't mind myspace. Yeah, it's more for kids/teens and the bands who try to get me to add them drive me nuts and the blasting tunes as soon as you go to a page is annoying, and the weird people are annoying and that girl that ssems niec and friendly is probably a dude.....
Sorry...the only thing I found it good for is the few friends I found after loosing track of them after high school and college. That's a good bonus, otherwise I never go there...I'm under 30 friends and I've rejected countless bands.
Speaking of waste of time...back to WOW

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
i hate myspace with all that makes me a human being.

but i will admit that i do have one, and i do find it unfortunately useful. For my purpose, i can actually use myspace as a networking tool, creating contacts which in turn spread my name around via "word-of-mouth" i think of it as a giant cesspool of free advertising :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
swano said:
I don't mind myspace. Yeah, it's more for kids/teens and the bands who try to get me to add them drive me nuts and the blasting tunes as soon as you go to a page is annoying, and the weird people are annoying and that girl that ssems niec and friendly is probably a dude.....
Sorry...the only thing I found it good for is the few friends I found after loosing track of them after high school and college. That's a good bonus, otherwise I never go there...I'm under 30 friends and I've rejected countless bands.
Speaking of waste of time...back to WOW

Ummm, you could just turn off the ability for bands to send you friends requests.

On another note, I recently deleted my account. After about an hour, I decided that most of the errors were just part of the old account and decided to create another.

There must have been a browser cookie because my old e-mail address showed up. When I was almost finished, there was an error which caused me to backtrack. It replaced my updated e-mail address and I ended up creating the account with a soon-to-be-gone address. I tried to change it in Account Settings but notifications don't work. :D

It's nice to see that things have improved greatly with the new account.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
it just feels nasty. i personally hate the place and my respect for anyone that tells me they have one instantly drops a few points, a bit like smoking. though, i think i have maybe 3 friends without an account there. yeah, i don't respect many people.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I use my myspace account to keep in touch with people, but I agree it's really a pain in the . As a website designer, I just hate the way it looks. but I was able to fix that...see?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
thejadedmonkey said:
I use my myspace account to keep in touch with people

Ah, all the more reason to hate myspace -- people who try to keep in touch with me! ;)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
yellow said:
And you were born in 1992. :)

It definitely has more appeal to a younger audience. My 14 year old neice can't get enough of it.
i am 16, the prime user age of it, and i think it's a load of garbage. I hate it. I have a myspace for my band because it is great for networking to other people about shows and posting songs/ finding new audiences. We've even gotten shows from people that heard us and asked if we wanted to work with them. On a personal level though, i think it's really lame and i don't understand why every teenager NEEDS their myspace.

Other than the usability and crap design overall, the concept itself is unappealing. People start friend-whoring just to add people get get 1000000000 friends just to prove to themselves that they are cool. It is just lame. Myspace has become a highway of crap advertising of crap companies trying to sell shirts, dogs, whatever! I get enough advertisements living in Jersey, through my TV, and everywhere in public. You don't have to advertise on someone's personal BUY OUR SHIRTS, 2 / $10!!!!!. Mass-consumer-culturism is disgusting. Finally, i find the whole "myspace scenes" that have developed of emo kids, slutty girls, and whatever, have really just become the poster to label all young people into cliche groups. We all don't spend 3 hours grooming our hair to perfectly fall over our eyes and slant our heads and whatever else to make "dramatic" photographs. GRR :mad:

The only real nice thing is that you can just find pics and stare at slutty people if that's your kinda thing.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Onizuka said:
Myspace is where all of the teeny bopping douchebags and jocks go to get laid. That all it is. Sure, bands and artists may use it as free publicity, but, C'mon. Why with something so elementry?
I know this is a message from a couple of weeks ago, but I've got to disagree with you. I've actually found some really good local bands via MySpace, one of which I'm going to see tonight. What it was orginally designed for before it became a place for young girls to be sluts and pedos to take advantage of them. Same thing happens on Craigslist, but you don't have to throw out the whole thing just because of the bad parts. I use it for friends too, so they can read my blog and I can read theirs. Or look at new pics. Even the non-naked kind. When I meet new people at clubs, the first thing I usually get is "are you on MySpace?", so it's nice for meeting people too, but I don't just add random strangers who try to add me. I want to know you in person.

Plus I can watch my Niece to make sure she isn't posting any naughty pics. :shudder: She's 12. Oh, and Rupert own Fox, but I still watch the Simpsons. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wronski said:
it just feels nasty. i personally hate the place and my respect for anyone that tells me they have one instantly drops a few points, a bit like smoking. though, i think i have maybe 3 friends without an account there. yeah, i don't respect many people.

I suddenly have the urge to start smoking. :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
vniow said:
That said, I do have a profile up there
Kinda freaked me out when I first rolled over it because I wasn't paying attention (did some kinda weird ripple thingy... stupid work PC), but I like the new hair style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.