Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I've tried PC screen wash spray, and even white spirit, but this weird discolouring won't shift.
It looks almost like there is a screen protector, but there isn't.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 262

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Last edited:
Reactions: oceanjaws

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've tried PC screen wash spray, and even white spirit, but this weird discolouring won't shift.
It looks almost like there is a screen protector, but there isn't.
Any ideas?
Apple had a repair program for these screen coating failures and would replace these for free outside the original warranty, but I think it's expired now. You might contact Apple anyway to see about it.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That's the various anti-glare and anti-fingerprint coatings being cleaned off. I'd suggest you stop using chemicals to clean your screens on future computers. I think the only solution is to clean what's left of the coatings off and have a pure glass screen with no anti-glare coating.

Going forward, you don't need anything more than tiny bit of water on a microfiber cloth to clean a screen. No high-tech cleaning sprays, no spirits, nothing. All those things do it wear-off the coatings, which results in what you see here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.