Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
mine would be a usb-c card reader

I purchased the Waterfield Tech Folio for my 2018 12.9” iPad so I’d have something minimal for trips to the coffee shop and yes, the brewpub ?

Reactions: jbanning and ipos

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Ever since iPadOS has been released, I purchased a USB-C Dual Flash Drive... which has proved useful for transferring files to my iMac.

But what takes the crown... is the USB-C Charger, even though it’s a minor thing. It’s awesome being able to travel with something as similar to that of the 5 watt iPhone charger, yet its 18 watts.

9776a8a1e7de85d4086e8351757e382a.jpg

0aaf7d154d0dd6fb0c904bb8dfa49de0.jpg

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
Ever since iPadOS has been released, I purchased a USB-C Dual Flash Drive... which has proved useful for transferring files to my iMac.

But what takes the crown... is the USB-C Charger, even though it’s a minor thing. It’s awesome being able to travel with something as similar to that of the 5 watt iPhone charger, yet its 18 watts.

I love being able to charge my iPP with the same charger as my MBP. Now, if only everything else would go to USB-C...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I love being able to charge my iPP with the same charger as my MBP. Now, if only everything else would go to USB-C...

I assume you are speaking about the iPhone, I’m sure it’s coming soon. But I do like being able charge my iPhone with the iPP... only thing I’m missing is being able to charge my AW with the iPP. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Reactions: Porterhouse

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
This

Purchased two, one for work one for home. I only carry this when I travel, to charge everything I carry with me. Charges super fast.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Purchased two, one for work one for home. I only carry this when I travel, to charge everything I carry with me. Charges super fast.

Sweet! I’m sure you use that with your MBP, but it would appear overkill for an iPad? I wonder what’s the estimated time in charging compared to the original 18 watt charger...

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Sweet! I’m sure you use that with your MBP, but it would appear overkill for an iPad? I wonder what’s the estimated time in charging compared to the original 18 watt charger...

I charge my 2018 iPP with it all the time, no overkill. It charges to 100% in about an hour.
[automerge]1574080857[/automerge]

Reactions: Ludatyk

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I got this small, slim 45W USB-C charger and it works great -

RAVPower Slim USB-C Charger

I also decided to give the Logitech Slim Folio keyboard case a try for my 12.9 Pro. I was afraid that it would be too heavy and bulky but found that not to be an issue for me and as for functionality, it's excellent.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I got this small, slim 45W USB-C charger and it works great -

RAVPower Slim USB-C Charger

I also decided to give the Logitech Slim Folio keyboard case a try for my 12.9 Pro. I was afraid that it would be too heavy and bulky but found that not to be an issue for me and as for functionality, it's excellent.
I have this one as well, but the one I linked above takes almost half the space.
[automerge]1574316702[/automerge]
The apple folio keyboard i am typing on now. It just completes the iPad. Plus it’s pretty comfy to type on.
I also love the folio keyboard, but it drives me crazy at nights as I can’t see the keys. Even a little backlighting would make it the perfect accessory for me.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Im still looking for a hub.... anyone try this one? I like the idea of it being magnetically connected.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-JoyG...07RK9J8TT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
I looked at that one online, but I was concerned about weather it would connect ok when the ipad was in a case. Aside from that, it looked promising. If you get it, please let us know what you think.

Instead, I ordered this one (link below) , and should get it tomorrow. I picked this one because of the good ratings, the fact that I can use it with a case on, and because it should do 4k @ 60 hz. I will let folks know if it turns out to be a good one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5SRV7L/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A9VC0Z6OZPX2V&psc=1

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I looked at that one online, but I was concerned about weather it would connect ok when the ipad was in a case. Aside from that, it looked promising. If you get it, please let us know what you think.

Instead, I ordered this one (link below) , and should get it tomorrow. I picked this one because of the good ratings, the fact that I can use it with a case on, and because it should do 4k @ 60 hz. I will let folks know if it turns out to be a good one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5SRV7L/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A9VC0Z6OZPX2V&psc=1

I'm using this one with my 12.9 Pro -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K7C53K2/

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Im still looking for a hub.... anyone try this one? I like the idea of it being magnetically connected.

I've thought about buying a hub... but then I always get discouraged by it. I already have a USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to Micro, USB-C to Lightning and a USB-C-Dual Flash Drive. Of course, I could purchase a hub to combine what I have, but I prefer having one sole purpose for the USB-C port.

I might be alone in my stance... but I like the idea of just plugging up a cable to do it's job and unplug it when finish. However, I do have a hub for my iMac ;)...

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I've thought about buying a hub... but then I always get discouraged by it. I already have a USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to Micro, USB-C to Lightning and a USB-C-Dual Flash Drive. Of course, I could purchase a hub to combine what I have, but I prefer having one sole purpose for the USB-C port.

I might be alone in my stance... but I like the idea of just plugging up a cable to do it's job and unplug it when finish. However, I do have a hub for my iMac ;)...
What USB-C > HDMI adapter do you have? I’m looking for one, and my initial google search turns up a bunch of articles from a year ago... I’m more interested in current state with iPadOS, etc. Thanks ;)

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
To answer the original question of "best purchased", I would say for me, it's this ESR Yippie case SMART Case. It is basic protection for when I take the ipad to work or anywhere. It protects the front and back, and attaches or releases quickly. It's well designed and inexpensive. For me it's perfect. I get protection when I need it, and can switch to light and naked quickly when at home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQJNGZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What USB-C > HDMI adapter do you have? I’m looking for one, and my initial google search turns up a bunch of articles from a year ago... I’m more interested in current state with iPadOS, etc. Thanks ;)

TBH, you’ll be fine with any HDMI adapter. I picked up one from Walmart called Blackweb, I had no choice at the time.. I was out of town. Walmart was the only viable option and I was worried by the reviews, but they had at a discount. I’ve had for at least 5 months now and it still works well.

Reactions: Precursor

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Really depends on what your needs are. I like being able to connect both an SD card and an HDD to a hub to do photo backups without doing an interim copy to my iPad. Plus, I have all of the functionality I need in one device and no longer have to take all of my dongles along when traveling.

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

SkyLawson

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2020
I would say an iPad case as this protects my precious gadget from possible scratch, drops, and spills. I always find quality ones that would last me for a number of years, so that I won’t have to buy every now and then. For instance, I bought my wooden iPad holder from this shop that my boyfriend recommended, and until now my gadget looks good as new free from any aesthetic issues.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
30W MacBook Air charger for me. Small, convenient, and fast charges all my iOS devices

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
What do you store on the SSD? Photos? Backup of the iPad? Is there a backup app for the iPad?

You can't do an iPad backup to external storage attached to the iPad itself. I use my 512GB SSD to store movies for travel viewing and as backup (manual copy) storage for photos/videos created on travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.