Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Just curious why a majority of software designed to work with images still don’t have the ability to export to the HEIF file format? Even once they do will this become a file format that can be read by browsers. I’m looking for a new format that can efficiently transfer 16bit files - seems like no one is interested in jpg 2000 or jpg xr either.

Is this a hardware holdup or a licensing one?

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I’m pretty sure HEIF is a container rather than strictly a file format. This allows it to contain multiple images such as Apple’s Live Photo sequences. It could also potentially be used for bracketed exposures or time lapses. I assume this sophistication makes it harder for software to deal with. It does seem like a way forward though as the compression is far better than JPEG.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
If I have it right, HEIF is the container, but what makes an image HEIC (the special magic behind the smaller file size while maintaining quality) is the use of HEVC (also known as H.265, the same codec used for similar video improvements at reduced file sizes). It's licensed through the MPEG group, so it should be readily available but there's likely a cost.

If I had to guess, people are having trouble coalescing around a new format partly due to uncertainty and partly due to patents and licensing. Apple's push into HEIF helps, but they're far from the only company who adopted something that had the potential to replace JPEG. Microsoft had JPEG-XR (released in 2009!), which macOS doesn't even natively support. Google has WebP, although they haven't really utilized it in the way that Apple pushed HEIF. HEIF has the advantage of being one of the first to seemingly offer truly significant file size savings while adding other capabilities; in my experience, JPEG-XR is 16-bit but file sizes are larger.

HEIF interestingly isn't the first format to use HEVC encoding. There was a format created in 2014, BPG, that also used HEVC. According to Wikipedia there may have been some patent issues that prevented its widespread adoption.

It is frustrating, though. Like you, I'd like to have 16-bit exported files at reasonable file sizes. For now I've changed my photography workflow to export to 16-bit TIFF and then use a conversion program to convert the TIFFs into HEIC files. I use Permute, a general-purpose file converter, and it works beautifully... but is limited to 8-bit files. Other image conversion software seems to have the same limitation and produces the same results, which leads me to believe that they're calling some macOS-based conversion and the limitation to 8-bit is an Apple-imposed limitation. There is a significant file space savings associated but this workflow takes up a lot more time; I look forward to the day when my imaging software (which supports JPEG-XR and JPEG2000) includes the ability to natively export into HEIF, and hopefully with an option for 16-bit.

cSalmon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
dc
Thanks everyone for your insights, very informative. Yes I understood it was technically a container just tried to simplify my question. Just finished reading a horror story on a different forum about trying to open up .jpf files so I’m convinced it still tiff files for the next couple of years

Thanks again

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Looks like Canon are going to ad HEIF to their next 1DXiii I expect it will filter down into their other new cameras too. So I’d expect to see compatibility in things like Lightroom and Photo Mechanic pretty quickly if it isn’t there already.

• Love
Reactions: Ledgem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.