Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Just in case I don't notice some directory or file, does anyone here know where every single Classic-related file resides in Mac OS X? Especially in 10.4 Tiger and 10.2 Jaguar.

As I hinted at in another thread, I'll be attempting a Frankenstein project of combining parts, or even replacing in full, Tiger's Classic with Jaguar's Classic, and edit those files where needed. But it would suck if I missed on checking some directory or file, so I wanted to ask about it here first, especially in case someone else here already poked at such files, and has something to say.

The goal is to fix Tiger's (and Panther's) broken-ass Classic, so we increase Mac OS 9 software smoothness, compatibility AND overall usability on machines that lack Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar, which accounts for at least all 970FX and 970MP G5s.

Do I expect this approach to work? No, not at all. In fact, I'd be surprised if any of this actually DID work. But the chance is there, and the only way to ensure it doesn't happen is by not doing it. So any help is appreciated.

(On a side note, what is a good source for learning how to compile the earliest Darwin kernels? I know the ones that correspond to earlier OS X versions like 10.2 have been compiled, unlike certain later versions.)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I haven't read this to be true but isn't it maybe the introduction of Core Image that spoilt the performance of Classic on Tiger? Prior versions of OSX might have been using the same or closer screen drawing methods as OS9?

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
No, because 10.3 Panther, which lacks Core Image, contains all the flaws in its Classic Environment that we see in 10.4 Tiger's. (Some examples here. Just did the same tests on Panther to double-check.)

But that was still an interesting thought to have, I hadn't considered something like that as a cause candidate. That helps me think more carefully.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if Panther's WWDC pre-release (7A179) already has these flaws.

... I wonder, too. Sadly, I lack Mac hardware that can boot into it (even regular versions of Panther don't boot in the minis unless if they are 10.3.4+, IIRC). If anyone is willing to test that out, just pick up "Hexen" and tell us what it feels like playing it after as little as 1 minute. It will be immediately clear.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
To answer your post heading, I don't have an OS9 folder on my Powerbook but Classic Startup is in /System/Library/CoreServices - the actual compatibility layer, TruBlueEnvironment is inside: Classic Startup.app/Contents/Resources/TruBlueEnvironment

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
According to Wikipedia:
Panther still supported the Classic environment fully for running older Mac OS9 applications but made Classic application windows double-buffered, which interfered with some applications expecting to directly draw to the screen

If you can figure out how to get an older version of classic running in Tiger, then the next step would be to attempt to bring the Mac OS 8.6 version of Classic from Mac OS X Server 1.2v3 or possibly the early Developer Previews...

Also this is interesting [Classihack for 10.1];
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20011102090900399

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
... I wonder, too. Sadly, I lack Mac hardware that can boot into it (even regular versions of Panther don't boot in the minis unless if they are 10.3.4+, IIRC). If anyone is willing to test that out, just pick up "Hexen" and tell us what it feels like playing it after as little as 1 minute. It will be immediately clear.
I’ve got a multitude of Macs capable of running Panther, and even older. Such as one of my many graphite G4s or iMac G3s. In some free time I’d like to check out the early panther build. Is it on the Macintosh garden?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've just got it installed. I haven't installed OS 9 on this machine yet but I'll get around to it eventually. I'm curious to see how classic performs under this build...

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Amethyst1

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Bumpy bump. Any success in checking if Pre-Release Panther has a Jaguar-good Classic? Or is it Panther-bad?

Drobinson345

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
Bumpy bump. Any success in checking if Pre-Release Panther has a Jaguar-good Classic? Or is it Panther-bad?
Following this. I installed the Jaguar version of Classic on my iMac G5 running Tiger using the Jaguar install disc image, but the application won’t start in Tiger. Comes up with an error ??‍♂️

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.