Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
iPhone 6S.
16 GB.
iOS 12.4.1.

I face annoying less storage issues even when I don't have much of my own data in the phone. I look at the storage in the settings and I see that more than half of the storage is used for 'Other'. What's this other? And why is it using more than half of the storage of my phone? What can I do to free up space in this 'Other'?

Screenshot attached.

1569343537547.png

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 215

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
"Other" is a catch-all category that includes the operating system. On a 16 GB iPhone it's not unusual to see 8 GB of "Other."

This Apple article provides more info about it: https://support.apple.com/HT201656. This is part of what they have to say about "Other"
  • Other: Everything else, like system files, software updates, Siri voices, cached files, logs, and more.
iOS only displays the top categories. If a category doesn't take much space, it might be counted as "Other." Storage space taken by "System" is a combination of space taken by iOS and its supporting files. The amount of space required by "System" varies from device to device depending on the device type, model, country, carrier, Siri voices, and more.
About cached files in "Other"
iTunes categorizes cached music, videos, and photos as Other instead of actual songs, videos, or photos. Cached files are created when you stream or view content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your iOS device so you can quickly access it again.
Your iOS device automatically removes cached files and temporary files when your device needs more space.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
"Other" is a catch-all category that includes the operating system. On a 16 GB iPhone it's not unusual to see 8 GB of "Other."

This Apple article provides more info about it: https://support.apple.com/HT201656. This is part of what they have to say about "Other"

So basically I have 8GB available to me? I never had space issues as I don't really put in many songs or photos but lately I have started to have this space issue. If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't always like this - other taking up half the space.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
So basically I have 8GB available to me? I never had space issues as I don't really put in many songs or photos but lately I have started to have this space issue. If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't always like this - other taking up half the space.

One of annoying thing about iOS is there is no way to delete all the cash files. On Android I can physically delete all cache files and usually I am able to gain about 1-2GB or sometimes I can get more than 5GB back.

On iOS, the only way to get ride of this other category is reset to manufacture condition. Means, you will have to setup your iPhone again and download all apps again. This should takes care of things for little while until you have do it all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.