Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Hello all; I've searched for a total of about two hours to answer this with no luck. Perhaps someone here has an idea:
I have Mac Pro (Mid 2010). I don't usually edit much for my work but I picked up a pretty simple gig. I am more familiar with Final Cut than Premier but did not have that installed on this box so I dl'd it and alas, I need to be at least on High Sierra 10.13.6. Currently I am on 10.12.6. I can find HS 10.13.6 of course but HS 10.13.0 is a ghost. Can't get from 10.12.6 to 10.13.6 without the magical unicorn 10.13.0. Suggestions? Secret web hideouts?

Conversely..I could look for an earlier version of Final Cut but haven't put time to that yet but at this stage, I'll do whatever comes quickest as time is becoming a factor.

I have an unsupported Nvidia board (TitanX) so I can't leapfrog to Mojave as a solution either. :(

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Oh how nice.. Once I posted, MR was so kind as to point out I am newbie. haha.. well, to the site, yes. But I've been in post biz on macs since the early 90's.. that should protect me from any flames, right?

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the research amaze, but yes.. as jbarley notes - I need the initial upgrade 10.13.0. Which is auspiciously blanked on the entirety of the interwebs. The German site was a crafty idea, but it also redirects to a dead end, alas.

Perhaps someone has the downloaded installer sitting around on a disk somewhere they could upload to moi? Or, know how to get a hold of FCP compatible with 10.12.x? Or??

Thoughts?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks for the research amaze, but yes.. as jbarley notes - I need the initial upgrade 10.13.0. Which is auspiciously blanked on the entirety of the interwebs. The German site was a crafty idea, but it also redirects to a dead end, alas.

Perhaps someone has the downloaded installer sitting around on a disk somewhere they could upload to moi? Or, know how to get a hold of FCP compatible with 10.12.x? Or??
Are you looking to do the initial install to 10.13.0 and then update to 10.13.6 using High Sierra updaters or will you stay on 10.13.0?

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
The current version of FCP needs at least 10.13.6, so yes.. that update is still available and I have it dl'd. Just have to get to 10.13.0 first.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I don't understand why you would go for 10.13.0 rather than a bugfixed 10.13.6?

ps. It is still the full installer you download from App Store.. Not just an update..

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
10.13.6 requires 10.13.0 to be installed first; no matter how many times I punch "install" with the full force of my extended index finger with prejudice, because, Apple.

Reactions: At_Op45

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The current version of FCP needs at least 10.13.6, so yes.. that update is still available and I have it dl'd. Just have to get to 10.13.0 first.
Here is a link that will take you to the US Apple App Store where you can download the full 10.13.6 installer. You will not need to go from 10.13.0 to 10.13.6.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

Edit: The full installer is an app that will be downloaded from the App Store It will be a "Install macOS High Sierra" app (around 5.25 GB) in the Applications folder and it will automatically launch after it is downloaded. If you do not want to install then Quit the installer app when it first launches. The installer app will automatically delete after it completes the install. It might be a good idea to save the installer on another disk for later uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heat_Fan89

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
10.13.6 requires 10.13.0 to be installed first
You need the full installer from the App Store, not the "Combo Update" from support.apple.com. Follow the directions in the link I posted above. You do not need a 10.13.0 installer at all.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
10.13.6 requires 10.13.0 to be installed first; no matter how many times I punch "install" with the full force of my extended index finger with prejudice, because, Apple.
That is only for the 10.13.6 update
If you get the current install, that will get you 10.13.6, as it will be the full install. The link that chrfr provided is a good one, just scroll down to section 4 on that page, and download that from the App Store. That will get you the FULL install for 10.13.6 - -there is absolutely no need to go through 10.13.0 first.

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I'm not in front of that system at the moment...prolly in about an hour I will be- but, in my foggy late night memory, I do believe I did end up at that app store page to dl 10.13.6. When I ran the installer, it said I needed 10.13.0 to be installed first. I will confirm here in a bit as to whether my mind is playing tricks on me or not. Thanks.
[doublepost=1542736178][/doublepost]..and truly, thank you. At least I feel there's some winnowing down and a viable option to work with here. I'll update soon.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The difference is going to be the size of the download.
The combo updater for 10.13.6 is about 2.5GB.
Compare to the full install for 10.13.6, which is more than 5.2GB.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"10.13.6 requires 10.13.0 to be installed first; no matter how many times I punch "install" with the full force of my extended index finger with prejudice, because, Apple."

Have you tried creating a bootable USB installer, and then boot and install that way?

At this stage of the game, the only way you're going to be able to find 10.13.0 is "from an unofficial source" -- not from Apple.

Reactions: amaze1499

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Ok..apparently, someone slipped something hallucinatory in my drink...musta been me since I'm the only one here.
But yes, apparently I had dl'd the 10.13.6 updater and not the full install that chfr, DeltaMac and CoastalOR were linking me to. Dl'd that and now running 10.13.6 & latestest/greatest FCP. The rift in the space-time continuum has mended and the existential disaster has been avoided due to your heroic intergalactic tenacity for justice and the Appian Way. All silliness aside, Thank you gents, for staying with it and helping me out.

See you at my next emergency..

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Ok..apparently, someone slipped something hallucinatory in my drink...musta been me since I'm the only one here.
But yes, apparently I had dl'd the 10.13.6 updater and not the full install that chfr, DeltaMac and CoastalOR were linking me to. Dl'd that and now running 10.13.6 & latestest/greatest FCP. The rift in the space-time continuum has mended and the existential disaster has been avoided due to your heroic intergalactic tenacity for justice and the Appian Way. All silliness aside, Thank you gents, for staying with it and helping me out.

See you at my next emergency..
If your problem is happily no longer one, then to put a "RESOLVED" before the title of your thread will make it clear to all the readers.
I share your satisfaction.
Ed

Scberry66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
If your problem is happily no longer one, then to put a "RESOLVED" before the title of your thread will make it clear to all the readers.
I share your satisfaction.
Ed
Thanks for the tip; done.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Resolved, perhaps but incomplete. This thread shows up in a Google search.

This link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12
doesn't always work to download. When it fails, here’s why: If there's a High Sierra or Mojave installer somewhere on your Mac, the App Store will find it and cancel the download. It can be anywhere — even an older version will cause the download to fail.

The solution: Find that installer. If you still need it, zip (compress) it. Rename the zipped file to something like Install macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.app.zip or Install macOS Mojave 10.14.4.app.zip. I always move the zip file(s) out of my Applications folder to somewhere else but that is probably not necessary.

Trash any original, uncompressed installers on your Mac. Now the link works correctly and the download will work as advertised.

Last edited:

Snowy04

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
Hello That link brings you to a lovely apple page telling you all about the High Sierra OS, but no where did i find a link to download the 10.13.0 SW. The MacBook Pros I have will not work on Mojave. I do have one running High Sierra 10.13.6 but do not have the full 10.13.0 installer. If any of you know where I can get that full base version that would be excellent as I can't install LR until I get High Sierra loaded.
Thanks in advance

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The link near the top of the page may say "Get", rather than "Download"
The result would be the same, to download the High Sierra full installer app.
Apple does update the full install app each time an update for the system is released, so you would get latest version, 10.13.6, of the full installer, not 10.13.0

banyanman

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
Philippines
I had the same problem trying to download the full installation version of 10.13.6 (as opposed tt the Upgrade version which requires 10.13.0 to be installed first). Every download was cancelling out at about the 30-40% mark. I eventually got onto Apple Support and they sorted it out for me. Seems each unsuccessful download was leaving a small file in Applications which blocked the next unsuccessful attempt. Got rid of all those files but still didn't work, so there was still something blocking the downloads that I couldn't find. So Apple Support recommended downloading in Safe Mode - which I did, and that worked. I'm now on 10.13.6 which is the last upgrade that I can do for the age of my iMac (2010).

Basmas

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
Keep getting this message when I try to install. I have a MacPro 2012. Refurbished by CreatePro (new processors).

Attachments

• AAAAScreen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.22.24.png
    AAAAScreen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.22.24.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,852
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.