Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Sorry, but I'm not sure where else to post this. Maybe I can make it a poll? But where do y'all plan to sign up and pay for Disney+? Through the app if that's an option? On the Disney+ website? Through the TV app?

I tried subscribing to Starz through the TV app and, personally, I like going through the Starz app more. Mainly because I now have access to the Starz app and can browse that way.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Sorry, but I'm not sure where else to post this. Maybe I can make it a poll? But where do y'all plan to sign up and pay for Disney+? Through the app if that's an option? On the Disney+ website? Through the TV app?

I tried subscribing to Starz through the TV app and, personally, I like going through the Starz app more. Mainly because I now have access to the Starz app and can browse that way.
There isn't an app per se available yet. Not until after midnight I believe when the service starts ( in the U.S. that is, I believe March 2020 for Europe ), so you can't join or pay thru the app yet.

I paid mine, when they offered the discount rate to D23 members. It was a free sign up thru Disney.com I believe to get a D23 membership, then in your membership there was an email offer to join Disney Plus. You paid thru there, they sent you a confirmation email, and I just wait until the app goes live to sign in.

https://www.disney.com/ It says as of my posting you have 6hours to pre order.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
It’s generally advisable to avoid going through Apple when signing up for any service. It can cause problems later. An example is Pandora, which I won’t go into details about because it makes my head explode.

Reactions: decypher44

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I have never had any trouble signing up for a service through the iTunes Store. In fact that’s how I signed up for Disney+.

mgdominguez

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
There's no Disney+ available yet in Mexico, but when it finally comes I'll probably subscribe through Apple. Nearly all my content subscriptions are there, and I've never had any issues. I subscribe and unsubscribe frequently as well, depending on what I'm watching for that month.

The only one I don't have there is Crunchyroll, there's no yearly option from Apple or at least there wasn't last time I checked. If Disney+ doesn't make the yearly option available through Apple, then it will be through the site directly.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Apple always wants their cut. Never forget. Sometimes, other companies don’t like that. See: Amazon.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I haven't signed up yet, but when I do, it will be via Apple since I already have Netflix, Apple Music and HBO Now subscriptions through there since I have a good amount of store credit to use.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
seeing the lackluster catalog out of the gate (yes i realize it will improve with time as will my interest in it) and the fact they've mentioned they will be censoring scenes from movies like dumbo, toystory 2 etc.

since on principle i cannot support "digital book burning"
i will pirate whatever I currently don't have

if they apologize and release everything uncensored (heck im even OK with multiple versions give people a choice at least)

then i will subscribe.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I did the 3-year deal already during D23.

As did I. Now if I could just sign in on my iPhone. :p

I am boycotting Disney+ since they refuse to offer 4K iTunes movies for any of their films.

To be fair, Disney are more than willing to offer it, they just want a $5 premium over the HD price and this goes against Apple's marketing of getting the 4K version for no additional cost over the HD price.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
To be fair, Disney are more than willing to offer it, they just want a $5 premium over the HD price and this goes against Apple's marketing of getting the 4K version for no additional cost over the HD price.

Asking for a premium over what everybody else gets from Apple is not fair. Disney is also being greedy with the Fox Sports regional networks that they recently acquired and are holding Dish customers hostage until Dish caves or Disney backs down on their own greed. Has Disney also marked up all of their 4K Blu-ray discs by this $5 premium?

I will never purchase anything digital or disc from Disney again. Renting their movies for $6.99/month with Disney+ is not a "deal" I am willing to accept from them either.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I just signed-up for D+, with a 12mo Gratis sub for being a Verizon Unlimited customer client . . . USD 85/mo deserves some additional perks ;)

I need my Empire Strikes Back fix, and iTunes only allowed a purchase...

...if the D+ streaming is as 'horrible as the Amazon thing, I'll just fah'gettabowtit.

Regards, splifingate

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Does anyone know if the individual profiles are private? (Like YouTube TV) Or can anyone who has a profile access the other profiles at anytime? I know they allow for 4 current streams at a time.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Does anyone know if the individual profiles are private? (Like YouTube TV) Or can anyone who has a profile access the other profiles at anytime? I know they allow for 4 current streams at a time.

Its similar to other streaming services because you're sharing 1 login. You can easily switch to another profile on the account whether its the app or web.

Reactions: Coffee50

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
seeing the lackluster catalog out of the gate (yes i realize it will improve with time as will my interest in it) and the fact they've mentioned they will be censoring scenes from movies like dumbo, toystory 2 etc.

Well that’s annoying. What types of scenes are they censoring?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I don’t believe Disney+ is censoring anything. They do put a “warning” on their older works that reads in part “This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions.” That’s directly from the Details screen of the 1941 Dumbo.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I don’t believe Disney+ is censoring anything. They do put a “warning” on their older works that reads in part “This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions.” That’s directly from the Details screen of the 1941 Dumbo.
That warning is a joke. People need to chill out.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Well... I don’t know that it’s a joke. I don’t think there is any dispute that some of Disney’s content from the earlier in the 20th century could be quite racist. I appreciate Disney not altering something like the 1941 Dumbo to censor out the “outdated cultural depictions“ since I would much rather view the whole movie without anyone, including Disney, being some kind of gatekeeper.

I do agree with you that people do need to chill out. If they do not wish to view the “outdated cultural depictions” in Dumbo then just don’t watch the movie if it offends you. But don’t try to keep everyone from watching it.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Well that’s annoying. What types of scenes are they censoring?

As it's been mentioned, they aren't censoring any scenes. They're putting a warning before movies that have scenes that may cause complaints. As a company (and in this current climate) it's understandable why they are doing this. It's similar to a parental advisory label on an album, or the notification (TV-MA, etc.) before a series.

They're protecting themselves & notifying the viewer before anyone "launches" complaints...It's a standard business practice, it's just garnering extra attention because....well, this is a reflection of current society.

The fact that this has made such widespread news, simply shows what a hot button issue this is...but the fact that the content actually ISN'T being censored, seems to have taken a back seat to the the reasoning behind the warning.

Reactions: mallbritton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.