Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I have about 5 boxes of photos to scan. I want to spend some time scanning them, but only if I use software that can reliably handle multiple photos at once and that does a good job of automatically cropping the photos to their edges.

Any software recs for this?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I would be surprised if there is such an "do everything' automated app. It may come down to a workflow process you feel comfortable with. While my largest job was my mother's trays and trays of slides, I have done stacks of photos using only the software that came with the scanner, usually in 'professional mode' which gave me more control than the more automated roles. While I use a flatbed, perhaps a dedicated (expensive) photo scanner would come closest where you feed prints in individually.

Using a flatbed, if slide capable will have a holder for around 4 slides which will automatically scan individually. Prints, sort for consistent size and can usually lay 3 of 4x6 on platen and orientation doesn't matter as can later flip in Photoshop. Establish the 4x6 scan area (or whatever size for the pile you are working on), scan, then simply move that 4x6 block to the next photo on the preview screen, repeat and will remember that scan area as you load the next 3 until finished that pile of photos. Then start on your next size, 5x7 or 3 1/2 x 5, etc

When finished, still would want to take a final step in Photoshop, correcting color shift over time, dust or print damage repair, tonal adjustment, etc.

Then finally, after all that work, make a backup! I also with my mother's slides made additional copies which gave to my mother (display on TV rather than haul out projector), as well as for my brother and sisters.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve used this app in the past to convert printed photos into digital copies. But it doesn’t do multiple photos at the same time. Not sure if you’re looking for this type of solution or real scanning solution but no harm in trying.

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
I have about 5 boxes of photos to scan. I want to spend some time scanning them, but only if I use software that can reliably handle multiple photos at once and that does a good job of automatically cropping the photos to their edges.

Any software recs for this?

Maybe this would work?
Not cheap but you could sell it after your scans.

Epson FastFoto FF-680W Wireless High-speed Photo and Document Scanning System

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.