Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Thinking of making a switch. Gmail, iCloud, or Yahoo? I currently use my local broadbands email, but want something more permanent in case I switch providers someday. So which one of those 3 is better in terms of being more secure, less spam etc. Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Only one of those three doesn’t make money by using your email to sell advertising.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
For some reason i only par Outlook.com with Windows Systems, I guess that's just history talking

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
You could try Yandex mail, it's a Russian mail provider, works very well

In Mother Russia email write you.

But seriously, I would never ever use a foreign email service unless you were in that country and had to; ESPECIALLY not from Russia or China.

You have no idea what their government or other parties can easily get from them and their servers via their laws; if they even have such things as subpoenas needed. They have zero privacy protections for their citizens basically

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I use Gmail primarily. I have Outlook just because MS Forced you to make one few years back for Windows account. And I still use WIndows so I still use it for that reason. I have Apple Email, but I never use it. I use Yahoo mail for trolling news sites.
If you dont mind lack of storage Proton mail. If you need more storage you can buy more from Proton, Otherwise it's 500MB free.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I use a few different mail providers of various privacy levels depending on what I’m using the account for. I feel this works well for me and protects me in the case of a Yahoo-style breach.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Fastmail is great, and supports push notification in the native MacOS and iOS mail apps.

It has proven to be a very reliable and affordable service. The webmail interface is good to.

I just purchased a domain Saturday and setup two new email boxes up for my wife and I on Fastmail. We have been using it on the Fastmail app and yesterday switched to the native iOS mail, calendar and contacts apps. I migrated all of our archived iCloud email, calendar and contacts over using their migration tools. I have no complaints and we are very happy so far. It cost us $110 for the whole thing. I’d bet it will be the same for next year. But, no more switching email addresses. If Fastmail takes a dump, we’ll move the domain and email elsewhere.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Another vote for Fastmail. I use it with two domains and 12+ email addresses. I also use it to collect a work Office 365 address. Been using it for years - very happy customer. I've used it with Apple Mail and prefer the iOS App. The speed has been the most attractive thing about this service - dark mode is nice too (in browser).

Reactions: flyingspur

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Another vote for Fastmail, which I've been using since 2001 (I think). I especially like the ease of integrating your own purchased domain name into their system. I've always been impressed by the fact that they always seem to be one step of me: several years ago when articles about the importance of two-factor authentication started popping up, I looked at the settings of Fastmail and ... yep, had it already! All I needed to do was turn it on. Similarly, when my email forwarding service spamgourmet looked to be heading toward extinction recently, I started looking into alternatives; one possible approach I read about on GMail was plus addressing and subdomain addressing; again, Fastmail already has the feature, I just wasn't using it yet. I find the file storage and simple web page features to be handy; sometimes I'll take pictures at a family event, throw them all in a folder via WebDAV, log in and turn that folder into a web page photo gallery. It's not fancy, but it truly is good enough for family members to browse through and download their favorites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.