Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I tried linux on virtualbox under MBP 2019 15". It was too slow for my purpose. Is Parallels noticably faster or much fastest? What is the fastest emulator for running linux and Windows 10?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If the VM is too slow for you, you either didn't assign it enough resources (RAM, CPU, Disk), or your host machine doesn't have enough of those same resources or powerful enough resources to run the VM efficiently. Changing from VirtualBox to another application won't make much if any difference.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
For a 8-core i9 2.4GHz cpu with 32GB RAM, is assigning 4-core and 16GB to the vm the best? I wonder if it is better to get a 64GB configuration.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What do you think of this result? All 3 cores assigned.

Test1: 8GB. 8m34s to complete a task
Test2: 16GB, 9m11s
Test3: 24GB, 9m1s

Less RAM to VM is fastest? Does that mean Mac OS and Parallels need 24+GB ram to run effectively in this test?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I reduced the core number to two but keeps the RAM at 8GB. Now it took 13m8s to complete. So the more cores the better but I cannot understand wht less RAM caused better performance.

Some computer numerical simulations.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Aside from that task, how does the VM behave? Is everything else running smooth and quick?

If you're running mathematical stuff, I have to wonder if the math co-processor doesn't run well, or at all in a virtual environment.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Aside from that task, how does the VM behave? Is everything else running smooth and quick?

If you're running mathematical stuff, I have to wonder if the math co-processor doesn't run well, or at all in a virtual environment.

I need more tests to answer. Besides number of cores and memory allocation, what else can I adjust to potentially improve the performance?

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
What do you think of this result? All 3 cores assigned.

Test1: 8GB. 8m34s to complete a task
Test2: 16GB, 9m11s
Test3: 24GB, 9m1s

Less RAM to VM is fastest? Does that mean Mac OS and Parallels need 24+GB ram to run effectively in this test?

Maybe there is some setting in the OS that is related to RAM management? Writing to disk? VRAM?
You do not say much about your application, but sometimes compiler settings make a big difference too.

A long time ago I did some tests on a program I needed to run and compared bootcamp and VMs (Parallels and Fusion). I found that bootcamp and VMs were almost identical. I settled on Fusion.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
About 15 years ago, it was generally agreed that Fusion was better at that time. I think it was more stable. As I recall, I tried both and also ended up with Fusion. If I recall correctly, Parallels offered big discounts for Fusion user to switch to Parallels. Over time, I think I heard Parallels became better. How about now?

Myprograms did lots of matrix computations.

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
About 15 years ago, it was generally agreed that Fusion was better at that time. I think it was more stable. As I recall, I tried both and also ended up with Fusion. If I recall correctly, Parallels offered big discounts for Fusion user to switch to Parallels. Over time, I think I heard Parallels became better. How about now?

Myprograms did lots of matrix computations.

Fusion and Parallels have free demos, so you can try if there is any difference.

Reactions: hajime

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
I think Fusion was free in the past but starting few years ago, we have to pay.

Sorry for not being clear. Parallels and Fusion are paid.
I was referring to free evaluation trials.

This is link for Fusion

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Sorry for not being clear. Parallels and Fusion are paid.
I was referring to free evaluation trials.

This is link for Fusion

I know. Many years ago, Fusion was free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.