Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xbox one X or PS4 Pro with Apple ecosystem

• Xbox one X

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

BaronS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
As the title, for those of us solely in the Apple ecosystem which console fits better? PS4 (Pro) or Xbox one (X)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
not sure its really important as neither are really going to depend or connect much apple wise.

however the only thing I can think of is you can play your ps4 games on your mac screen using remote play, useful for me when wife is watching something on the tv, I can stream far cry 5 onto my imac screen.

also the new ios version is interesting if maybe not as useful. you can stream the whole thing to your iPhone or ipad using on screen control buttons. I suppose on a decent ipad playing slower paced games,

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
not sure its really important as neither are really going to depend or connect much apple wise.

however the only thing I can think of is you can play your ps4 games on your mac screen using remote play, useful for me when wife is watching something on the tv, I can stream far cry 5 onto my imac screen.

also the new ios version is interesting if maybe not as useful. you can stream the whole thing to your iPhone or ipad using on screen control buttons. I suppose on a decent ipad playing slower paced games,

Here is Far Cry New Dawn via Remote Play on the iPad OS 13 with a Dual Shock paired to the iPad ;-)
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios13beta/comments/bx91zo/ps4_remote_play_with_dual_shock_paired_ipados_13/

Reactions: Donfor39

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don’t think it matters, at the end of the day it’s about the games you want to play and if all your friends you want to play with all have one make if console.

Microsoft will be offering game streaming on your devices, Sony offers remote play, Microsoft will also offer a version of this.
They both have apps on iOS for their stores etc.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
It doesn't matter but, for me, the correct answer is Nintendo Switch :)

Seriously though, I'd pick the one based on the exclusives I really wanted or which one most of my friends play.

Reactions: phillytim

Hermolicious84

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Columbia, MO
Does the Playstation iOS app allow you to receive party invites and connect to voice chat with console users?

Sending out a quick party invite from the Xbox that will notify people on their phones is the main way of saying, "Hey, I'm online and you should come join me" among my group of Xbox friends.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Both of PS4 an Xbox have apps to do party invites and text chat.
I don't believe the PS4 app allows voice chat, you can however leave voice messages.

There're also third-party apps that can let the iOS device act like a microphone, so hypothetically you can use an iPhone as a generic Bluetooth mic.

Personally I would choose the Xbox one X over the PS4 Pro,
I originally owned both original consoles from launch and the PS4 was the superior console, but when it comes the pro model I regret upgrading to the PS4 pro, it wasn't worth the additional money for the enhancements offered.
But the Xbox one X, the graphical improvements were far superior even compared to the PS4 pro on multiplatform games, and the overall ui was more responsive etc.

As a Mac user that PS4 has to bonus of the remote play app is cool
its used so you can use your Mac as a screen for playing the console if say your TV is otherwise occupied.

On Xbox one there is no Mac version of their cast software put out by Microsoft its officially windows only.
but there is a app called onecast so you can do the same thing.

In short PS4 Pro versus Xbox one x the Xbox one wins with the caveat being unless there are PS4 exclusives you want to play or your friends already use PS4's but then you wouldn't need to decide because presumably you'd go where they went already unless multiplayer isnt your jam.

you may have wondered why i didn't include iOS or Mac...

IOS isn't a real gaming platform and probably never will be and the Mac is only a serious gaming platform running Boot Camp with an eGPU so really that's why I didn't bother to mention those.
that said i like my aorus gaming box it works great on any 2011+ mac (apple's adapter needed if your mac has TB1 or TB2)

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
For my iOS household, I chose Nintendo Switch because that's the console where my favorite games are.

Nintendo gives the Switch Online app for both iOS & Android, so even ecosystem choice doesn't matter for that.

Further - I chose the Xbox (One S), due to its capability of playing 4K Blu-Rays right out of the box; Sony owns Blu-Ray but doesn't even include 4K playback in its own consoles! *eye roll*

To my knowledge, both Microsoft & Sony provide their apps for iOS; so again, both Xbox *and* Playstation fit in well with iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.