Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I'm using this USB C Hub, HooToo Shuttle 3.1 Type C Hub with Power Delivery for Charging. This is exactly what I was looking for so I'm happy with it.
51lpHR%2BPZxL._SL200_.jpg
Are you using the power through function
has it fried your macbook yet ? :p

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
After a horrible experience with some generic USB3 hub, I bought a
Plugable 7 port powered USB 3.0 hub of Amazon for $29.95. It charges all my various Apple and Android devices quickly, and plays well with powered USB drives.
Happy enough that I bought a second for a different setup.
Only complaint is blue "in use" LEDs are too bright.
Fixed that with a piece of green tape.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
For info I just got below USB-C hub (for new tbMBP 13) :

AUKEY-USB-C-Hub-HDMI-4-Ports-USB.jpg

And I get tons of disconnected HDD events for no reason.

Plugged one of my disk on a simple USB C to A dongle, no disconnect for now

Probably comes from this hub...

Which USB hub works best ?

(I'll probably get the OWC powered dock when it comes out, but need a solution for the coming months for a hub with at least 4 USB 3, 5 would be better)

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I'm looking for a powered USB hub for various USB devices including charging my iPads, iPhones, and powering a Samsung T3 SSD. It will be attached to my 2015 iMac.

I'm currently considering the Plugable 3.0 7-port hub with a 25 watt power adapter:

http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7-81x/

main_256.jpg

I like this unit because it has seperate LEDs for each port and a long power cord which extends from the back of the unit.

Anyone has any experience and/or comments about this one? Thanks...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm looking for a powered USB hub for various USB devices including charging my iPads, iPhones, and powering a Samsung T3 SSD. It will be attached to my 2015 iMac.

I'm currently considering the Plugable 3.0 7-port hub with a 25 watt power adapter:

http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7-81x/

main_256.jpg

I like this unit because it has seperate LEDs for each port and a long power cord which extends from the back of the unit.

Anyone has any experience and/or comments about this one? Thanks...

That's what I use. The only problem I've had is that once in awhile the external hard drive would magically "disconnect" for a moment causing OSX to have a fit so I ended up plugging the media drive straight into the Mac Mini instead and plugging everything else into the hub.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
That's what I use. The only problem I've had is that once in awhile the external hard drive would magically "disconnect" for a moment causing OSX to have a fit so I ended up plugging the media drive straight into the Mac Mini instead and plugging everything else into the hub.

Ahhh...good to know! I wonder if I go with their 48w or 60w units if I would avoid that issue? That's the exact reason I'm looking at a powered hub...something to power the T3 SSD.

Thanks...appreciate the reply...

Reactions: cerberusss

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Ahhh...good to know! I wonder if I go with their 48w or 60w units if I would avoid that issue? That's the exact reason I'm looking at a powered hub...something to power the T3 SSD.

Thanks...appreciate the reply...
I've got this hub:
https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Chipset-Windows/dp/B00CBEVTIA

I haven't tested it with that SSD, but permanently use it with a Seagate 2 TB harddrive for Time Machine. Never had it disconnect unexpectedly. Been using this hub for about a month now.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
What's the best bet for someone who wants a USB-C hub with a few USB-C ports on it along with power pass-through? Having started to switch devices out for USB-C ones, I'd actually like more of those ports and less of the legacy ones!

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
What's the best bet for someone who wants a USB-C hub with a few USB-C ports on it along with power pass-through? Having started to switch devices out for USB-C ones, I'd actually like more of those ports and less of the legacy ones!

Yes, there does not seem to be many of these yet !

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I've gone ahead and ordered an OWC USB-C dock. Although only giving one extra USB-C port, it has all the other ports I could need and so will allow me to dock the machine at home and connect with one cable. But it's not a portable solution and isn't cheap.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Shame as also looking for one as have a MacBook 12". Would like to be able to connect my usb c peripherals like hard drive and power cable, power bank in at once.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The OWC one is going back, I didn't do my research - it only goes 4K at 30Hz. The Belkin one looks perfect although nobody seems to know when it will be released.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Anker hubs are pretty solid. You can get high port density and high power for charging multiple devices. Plus you get the full throughput of the bus.

I agree. I've had Anker hub for over four years and it's worked flawlessly during that time.

PabloGS

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Europe

Many? Are there any at all? All I saw was this Belkin Mini Hub: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-IF-Certified-4-Port-F4U090btBLK/dp/B017H9CF1S/

And it only has two Type C ports. Not only that, I'd like to have a hub that has a detachable cable so I can hide the hub in my desk's cable channel.

I too switched out my cables to declutter and now have Type C cables to: Micro USB 3, Micro USB 2, Lightning and Type C. I neither have USB A, B nor Mini cables left. The LG 5K Display only has three USB Type C plugs on it's back (apart from the Thunderbolt 3 plug).

PabloGS

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Europe
Somehow I feel the terms ""Hub", "Port Replicator", "Daisy Chaining" and Dock" are getting more and more interwoven where they shouldn't be. Correct me if I'm wrong!

To me a "Hub" is something that spreads the ports into the same ports. The bandwidth is distributed among the ports.

A "Port Replicator" is a Dock that allows you to connect to the "same" ports your notebook already has, it simply reroutes them instead of creating new ones. You don't lose bandwidth but you don't gain ports either.

Then we have "Daisy Chaining": You don't lose a port, but you lose bandwidth as some capacity of the port is used by each device in the chain.

A "Dock" on the other hand provides all sorts of different connectors from one port only. It doesn't matter if it is a USB or Thunderbolt dock.

Maybe we should start two new threads one for hubs and one for docks, clearly distinguishing between.

S4m4n

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Michigan
Haven't been through the first dozen or so pages of this thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned before, here is great bang for the buck at $25:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282158180335?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For 1/3 the price of Apple's adapter, the HDMI port outputs 4K at 60 Hz (as opposed to Apple's at 30 Hz). On the downside, it will not charge the 15" Touch Bar MacBook Pro, although it does supply enough current to keep it from discharging. It will charge any MacBook fine.

If you are looking mainly for a USB-c to HDMI option that will output 4K at 60 Hz... and remedy lack of an SD card / USB ports on the new MacBooks, this is a great option.

Chris8920

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Looking for a USB hub / few extra ports for my MacBook Pro 2016 model. It has 2 USBC ports, so one of them is currently used for the power and the other port is USBC to Display Port on my external monitor (Dell P2415Q, needs to be display port for the refresh rate). I think I have a few options for setting up but not sure which is best. Is there affordable hubs that provide the same power as the charger? I think if I get a USB hub which connects to the charger and the monitor it would be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.