Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Haven't been through the first dozen or so pages of this thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned before, here is great bang for the buck at $25:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282158180335?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For 1/3 the price of Apple's adapter, the HDMI port outputs 4K at 60 Hz (as opposed to Apple's at 30 Hz). On the downside, it will not charge the 15" Touch Bar MacBook Pro, although it does supply enough current to keep it from discharging. It will charge any MacBook fine.

If you are looking mainly for a USB-c to HDMI option that will output 4K at 60 Hz... and remedy lack of an SD card / USB ports on the new MacBooks, this is a great option.

Hi S4m4n, are you positive this can do 4k @ 60hz? I haven't found any other hubs that can do so.

mgcomm

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I have just bought a sztrokia 4 port hub, concerned that the existing generic USB 3 hub was not being recognised. It showed a USB 2.0 hub connected. Hence I bought this new one. When checking with a USB 3 lexar usb though on either hub it actually hooks to the USB 3 on the iMac. So be sure by testing a transfer speed check as what you see on system report may mislead.

Attachments

• USB 3.png
    USB 3.png
    740.8 KB · Views: 405

iMaculate

Suspended
Jan 9, 2019
Toronto
So is it the general consensus that the cal digit TS3 plus is the best thunderbolt 3 dock at the moment? Is there anything coming out in the next 2-4 months that will top it?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It's weird that the cable has two male ends to it. I've never seen that before.
I was surprised when I first saw this on a hub too, but it does have its benefits - you can swap to a C-to-A cable, use a longer/shorter cable as required, etc.

As for the general thread topic. I know it's about 3.0 hubs, but has anyone found a reliable USB3.1Gen2 hub? Ideally I guess I'd like a mix of type-C and type-A ports but that's not crucial. I have one currently from Orico (a Chinese brand, not sure how common they are in the US) with 4 type-A ports, but it doesn't work, at all, and my experience with other Orico 3.1-Gen2 products makes me think they're using not-completely-(compatible|reliable) USB controllers in their accessories.

I *could* just spring for a TB3 "hub" but I don't need another ethernet port, or another DisplayPort, or another HDMI port, or another headphone port, or SD card slots etc. I just want to be able to plug in a USB key or a portable hard drive reasonably conveniently.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I was surprised when I first saw this on a hub too, but it does have its benefits - you can swap to a C-to-A cable, use a longer/shorter cable as required, etc.

As for the general thread topic. I know it's about 3.0 hubs, but has anyone found a reliable USB3.1Gen2 hub? Ideally I guess I'd like a mix of type-C and type-A ports but that's not crucial. I have one currently from Orico (a Chinese brand, not sure how common they are in the US) with 4 type-A ports, but it doesn't work, at all, and my experience with other Orico 3.1-Gen2 products makes me think they're using not-completely-(compatible|reliable) USB controllers in their accessories.

I *could* just spring for a TB3 "hub" but I don't need another ethernet port, or another DisplayPort, or another HDMI port, or another headphone port, or SD card slots etc. I just want to be able to plug in a USB key or a portable hard drive reasonably conveniently.

I hear you. I really like my Satechi USB-C hub with all the connections that I like and use. I have used it to plug in external hard drives and USB keys, but it's not the best method when it is the ONLY thing you want to plug in. So I have an Apple C-to-A dongle for that. I also have a USB micro-B to USB-C which is in daily use.

I have found my Satechi hub to be incredibly reliable, even when virtually ALL ports are in use simultaneously! The only reason to buy a Thunderbolt 3 hub for me would be to have reliable 4K or 5K at 60Hz.

KATRIYANTI

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
I just returned a D-Link as it did not work properly with my new MacBook Pro Retina w/USB-3.0. The computer was recognizing it as a USB-2.0 hub.
Hi - I need a USB 3.0 hub for my 2012 MBA, and am unsure which one to get, as it sounds like some are partially incompatible with Macs! I'm running OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, if it makes any difference. A 4-port hub would probably be fine, so I've been considering:

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Which one is it?

Sorry for my late reply. I have this one:

https://satechi.net/collections/hub...num-multi-port-adapter-4k?variant=27067045065

There is a version 2 of this product, but it's pretty much the same. Anyway, it works great for me, even with all ports used simultaneously.

I currently am looking at an Anker one because it's on sale for $35.99, but also because of its small size and portability:

https://www.anker.com/products/vari...ium-usb-c-adapter-with-ethernet-port/A83310A1

The only thing that bothers me about the non-Thunderbolt 3 USB-C hubs is that most do not output 4K at 60Hz, but I haven't really been in a position where I would need that.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It still surprises me how hard it is to find a good USB 3.1Gen2 hub. I don’t need video out or Ethernet on it. I just want some more accessible USB ports. I’m really tempted by the Startech TB3 to usb3.1 (mixed gen1/2 type a & c ports) but it’s kinda pricy and I’d have to get it shipped internationally. Given that I’m planning to move to TB3 storage devices and both monitors have a usb3 hub maybe it’s not worth it for the occasional times I need to plugin something USB

Broric

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
Will all these hubs/docks work with the new MBP just released? It seems like the form factor is the same as the 2018 model?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 can be used as a USB-C dock or a Thunderbolt 3 dock. It has three USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C ports (one with DisplayPort alt mode) and two USB 3.0 Type-A ports. The Thunderbolt port works in Thunderbolt mode as a Thunderbolt port or as a USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort alt mode port. In USB mode, the Thunderbolt port only supports USB 2.0 and the Ethernet port doesn't work. More info in this eGPU.io thread.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi everyone, New in Apple's world. Just had a Air for past Christmas. :)

Could you please give me your opinions on this one (link below)

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07FVH46HQ...XkZsxGopJBf1B5I3lrdGoGUeYpcCZ4K6GqkIc9lORu2D0
This seems like a good enough USB-C dock, just remember that most USB-C docks only support one display at up to 4K 30 Hz (or 1440p at 60 Hz) and USB speeds up to 5 Gbps. This USB-C dock appears to use a 4 port USB 3.0 hub to support Ethernet, SD card, and two USB 3.0 ports. It's small and optionally bus-powered to make it more portable.

The latest MacBook Air supports Thunderbolt 3. A Thunderbolt 3 dock can support two displays at 4K 60 Hz or one display at 5K 60 Hz and can support higher USB speeds (10 Gbps) and more devices/ports but Thunderbolt 3 docks are more expensive.

ptimickey59

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
France, Valenciennes
Thanks for your reply.

I need it mainly for external HDD to save pictures or documents.

Sometime use HDMI for a movie but not often. I saw you are talking about Ethernet but this one doesn't have. I don't need a mandatory hd picture, but something that allows me to project The movie on TV screen via HDMI.

My budget is limited I would like to avoid spending too my€

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I need it mainly for external HDD to save pictures or documents.
Something with 10 Gbps might be nice but not necessary if your external HDD is not a SSD that is a lot faster than SATA III (6 Gbps).

Sometime use HDMI for a movie but not often. I don't need a mandatory hd picture, but something that allows me to project The movie on TV screen via HDMI.
1080p FHD will work fine at 60 Hz. 4K UHD will work at 30 Hz. 4K 60Hz movies are rare so it's probably not a problem.

I saw you are talking about Ethernet but this one doesn't have.
My mistake. I tried looking for an English version of the product and ended up on the wrong page (the C109 model). Google found the correct page when I entered "lenovo" "c112" "usb c" site:amazon.com
There are many models (but not all) listed at http://novolk.com/typec
The C112 model appears to also use a 4 port USB 3.0 hub, except Ethernet is replaced by a third USB-A port.

My budget is limited I would like to avoid spending too my€
Ok, USB-C is preferable for a low budget over Thunderbolt if you don't need the features of a Thunderbolt dock that a USB-C dock doesn't have.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Just wanted to say thanks to the this thread for the suggestion for the CalDigit TS3 Plus. I was able to find one on Ebay that was open box for $165. Everything was new in the box and even had the longer thunderbolt cable. Feel like I hit the lottery. lol.

avedis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
I just bought this from Twelve South.... Hate the hub dangling whenever I prop my MacBook Pro on a laptop stand.

Fingers crossed it'll suit my use case.

ptimickey59

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
France, Valenciennes
Hi all.

finally I just ordered a dodo cool DC46 8 in 1.

got a HDMI, PD C, 3 USB 3, 1 TF , 1 SD, 1 RJ 45.

I was not expecting to need RJ 45 but amazon is proposing a beautiful promotion, the hub is normally 46€. Got a promo code to save 19€ on the hub + delivery gratis saving 4,99€. Total saved 23.99€ :)

I think it is a good deal. I don't know what worth Dodocool products but seem to be great feedbacks on YT and amazon customers feedback.

cosmo811

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Cambridge, UK
I use the VAVA 8-in-1 USB-C hub and mostly had a very good experience with it. It has ethernet, HDMI, three USB-A, and SD and TF card readers. The only problem I've had so far is that sometimes the HDMI output is a bit unreliable when my MacBook Pro is in clamshell mode - sometimes my Dell monitor just goes black, refreshes and comes back on after a second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.