Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I picked up the new AirPods today hoping for something that would “wow” me enough to justify the cost. My v1 AirPods have worked flawless since day one but I wanted something new after using them for almost two years. Well, the new AirPods are nice but they definitely require a little more finagling every time I put them in my ears. Strike one.... Maybe it’s just my 51 year old ears being worn out but I barely notice any difference in sound quality between old and new. Strike two.... The $250 price tag was a hard pill to swallow but I gave it a shot. But in the end, coughing up $250, negligible difference in improved sound quality and the extra effort involved each and every time I insert them them in my ears. Strike three....

They’re going back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I picked up the new AirPods today hoping for something that would “wow” me enough to justify the cost. My v1 AirPods have worked flawless since day one but I wanted something new after using them for almost two years. Well, the new AirPods are nice but they definitely require a little more finagling every time I put them in my ears. Strike one.... Maybe it’s just my 51 year old ears being worn out but I barely notice any difference in sound quality between old and new. Strike two.... The $250 price tag was a hard pill to swallow but I gave it a shot. But in the end, coughing up $250, negligible difference in improved sound quality and the extra effort involved each and every time I insert them them in my ears. Strike three....

They’re going back. Anyone else in a similar situation?
I like them but after 20 mins it starts to hurt. Kinda bummed because ANC works great! Sounds quality is better than my AirPods. I want to love them but comfort is an issue for me.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I like them but after 20 mins it starts to hurt. Kinda bummed because ANC works great! Sounds quality is better than my AirPods. I want to love them but comfort is an issue for me.
Same here, but I'm still leaning toward keeping them. It's either these, or the Sony WFs, which also give a bit of discomfort though to a lesser degree. The APP offers so many conveniences (much smaller case, wireless charging, a little less fiddly to put in ears, feels more secure in ears, etc.) that I think I'm willing to tolerate the relatively mild discomfort.

Edit: curiously, I've had them in for almost an hour this morning, with no discomfort at all. Not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I am. But I still recommend them highly to others.

They simply didn't feel truly comfortable with any of the tips offered. I prefer my Powerbeats Pro in that regard. Maybe they enter in at a different angle. I don't know.

Reactions: quadchick10

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Returning mine today. Mid bass is actually better on the airpod gen 2's and for me, way more comfortable. All I wanted was airpods with insane audio engineering. Unfortunately that was traded for ANC and a new stem.. Bummed.

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I returned my pair yesterday. I experienced too much discomfort from The shape of the larger pod, surprisingly the actual silicon tip that rests in the ear canal didn’t cause any pain. Ive been looking into the sonys wf-1000xm3’s and I think I’m going to give those a shot.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I decided we are keeping our AirPods (Gen 1 and 2). I have a bluetooth on shoulder pair of LG headphones that I use when I fly (the seal is a poor man's version of noice cancellation) - hurts like hell after 3-4 hours.

We are very happy with our cheaper AirPods. Apologies - not a direct response to the OP but a "We aren't even considering getting them" response.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I returned my APP and went back to the 2nd gen, here are my reasons

1) sound quality isn’t much better on the APP, in fact, I find the mids and bass worse than my 2nd gen

2) ear pain- regardless of which ear tips I used, I had constant ear cartilage pain and headache after extended use; this was not an issue with the previous gens

while I appreciate the ANC, the reasons listed above are dealbreakers for me

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It seems like people coming from AirPods 1 and 2 aren't happy with AirPods Pro. I wonder how people haven't ever had AirPods feel about the AirPods Pro.

Reactions: bhodinut

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
It seems like people coming from AirPods 1 and 2 aren't happy with AirPods Pro. I wonder how people haven't ever had AirPods feel about the AirPods Pro.
I had AirPods 1 & 2. Now i have my replacement Pro's and had a chance to give them a workout today, the difference between the Pros and the previous AirPods is night and day. There is no way I am returning these puppies.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008

I can already see the issues (as Gen1 AP owner).

Any type of in-ear is always just a touch more hassle to put in/out correctly and the huge selling point on Airpods of any type (for some of us) is the ridiculously easy quick in/out/down for a pause/back in/etc type of usage.

I’m personally reserving full judgement until the holiday return period opens up, at which time I’ll try them and give it a go and see about a number of possible concerns/questions I have.

Products like these are just really hard to know about without trying them yourself.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Products like these are just really hard to know about without trying them yourself.

Exactly this. Everyone's ears are different. Many Gen 1/2 owners will love these, as will many who hated the previous iteration. Unfortunately I'm one of those who find the Pros incredibly painful so will be switching to a Gen 2 pair tomorrow to replace my dying Gen 1 set.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
That's why I wish you were able to try them on and hear them in the store. It's gross, yes, which is probably one of the reasons don't have them out. But that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten AirPods yet. I don't know how they feel / sound.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Unfortunately I'm one of those who find the Pros incredibly painful so will be switching to a Gen 2 pair tomorrow to replace my dying Gen 1 set.

I suspect I will try the pros and not be swayed enough to stay with them based on the price and end up picking up a Gen2 pair to replace my also dying first generation model.

You can so often get them for $110-$120 on eBay, brand new sealed, that it’s hard to pay double that for the pros. You have to really really want the things the pro model offers
[automerge]1572809810[/automerge]
That's why I wish you were able to try them on and hear them in the store. It's gross, yes, which is probably one of the reasons don't have them out. But that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten AirPods yet. I don't know how they feel / sound.

Maybe when the holiday return period starts you should pick up a pair and give it a shot?
Apple is great about just taking them back if they’re not for you.

I’m only waiting because for the pro models I’d like to have a good month+ to really try them in various usage contexts.

Reactions: johnyslats

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Same here, but I'm still leaning toward keeping them. It's either these, or the Sony WFs, which also give a bit of discomfort though to a lesser degree. The APP offers so many conveniences (much smaller case, wireless charging, a little less fiddly to put in ears, feels more secure in ears, etc.) that I think I'm willing to tolerate the relatively mild discomfort.

Edit: curiously, I've had them in for almost an hour this morning, with no discomfort at all. Not sure what to make of that.
Same here. It hurts a little but I was at the gym today and I found them to not be intrusive, pain wise. I feel like I’m getting used to it. So I’ll take both to the gym tomorrow and see the results.

I do like the ANC. I play the music at 50% at the gym. With the regular AP, I would have to turn up the volume to 70-80%. So that’s better for me long term.
[automerge]1572839450[/automerge]
I wouldn’t go so global to say, I bet most people upgrading are pretty happy with them. I’m on the fence to keeping them.

The ANC works great! Love how I can do work around the house using the aircompressor and not screw up my hearing.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
You CAN try them in the store. ALL AirPods and PowerBeats Pro can be tried on in the Apple Store. What's gross? You can have a brand new tip put on them before they even touch your ears.

Problem is though a 5 minute try on really tells you nothing. You really need to try them for a few days. Apple gives you 14 days and that's more than enough time.

***I agree with waiting for the holiday exchange period as that most likely is more than 14 days.

• Love
Reactions: nicho and crouch

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I have never owned or used any Airpods until this past weekend (Android user). I have two lines so I ordered my first iPhone (11 Pro Max) for my second line. I bought Airpods Pro and Airpods 2 this past Saturday. My 11 Pro Max will be delivered this Wednesday so I synced the Airpods with my Note 10+ to try them out.

I really like the Airpods Pro and will use them when I'm doing anything active or want the ANC feature. The Airpods 2 I will use when I just need something quick or easy like taking a call or when sitting around in the house.

I do prefer the Airpods Pro over the Airpods 2 but I am very used to using in-ear earbuds so maybe that has something to do with it.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

why can’t you try them on in store? I tried power beats pro in instore. They just have a bunch of temp tips for everyone they keep switching.

Reactions: jbachandouris

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
You CAN try them in the store. ALL AirPods and PowerBeats Pro can be tried on in the Apple Store. What's gross? You can have a brand new tip put on them before they even touch your ears.

Problem is though a 5 minute try on really tells you nothing. You really need to try them for a few days. Apple gives you 14 days and that's more than enough time.

***I agree with waiting for the holiday exchange period as that most likely is more than 14 days.
why can’t you try them on in store? I tried power beats pro in instore. They just have a bunch of temp tips for everyone they keep switching.
Oh, I wasn’t aware you could try them on. I’m assuming you have to ask an employee to try them on? I’ve never seen them out on demo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.