Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fultonjt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
Went back to my AirPods as didn’t feel the difference was worth the added cost. After 1 day I realised I was wrong. The Much better fit and added noise cancelling / transparency feature made the original AirPods feel sub par in quality in comparison

Couldn't agree more. If the originals are worth $169-199 then these are for sure worth $249 under that value proposition. Difference is night and day.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
i love them, the ANC, the transparency mode and the way they fit. Even the sound quality too.

But actually they are too too buggy:

• many lag
  • mode that sometimes works only in a bud
  • loss of sound synching in some situation
  • if you stop the music, change 3-4 times the mode (switching from transparency to ANC) it create a weird sound and the switch do not work
  • sometimes you cannot skip / sop / play the music via stem but just via phone

I have exchanged 3 pairs for those reasons then i ended keeping last one, hoping that a firmware will solve this.

I have many days for return thou, don't know exctacly how to do if in the meanwhile nothing happens. Coming back to Airpods2 is not a great option to me now..

CraigB1960

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
i love them, the ANC, the transparency mode and the way they fit. Even the sound quality too.

• many lag
  • if you stop the music, change 3-4 times the mode (switching from transparency to ANC) it create a weird sound and the switch do not work

I have exchanged 3 pairs for those reasons then i ended keeping last one, hoping that a firmware will solve this.

I have many days for return thou, don't know exctacly how to do if in the meanwhile nothing happens. Coming back to Airpods2 is not a great option to me now..
I guess I'm lucky, my AirPods Pros have been rock solid, none of the issues you have reported. In fact, I am very sensitive to audio mis-sync, I have not experienced any problems with lag in this regards.

My only complaint is the lack of an application to set things like EQ and to be able to control which device it is connected to easily.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I got these AirPods Pro when they released and I've loving them. This coming from someone who never had regular AirPods.

I'm a little confused by all the folks here who were willing to plunk down $170-$200 on wireless versions of the basic included iPhone headphones but all of a sudden $250 is some BFD? If you had/have AirPods, then sure I get this isn't a worthwhile upgrade. If you don't have a pair yet, seems like a no-brainer to me that you'd go for the Pro's.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019

• many lag

mine also exhibit the issue where the modes wont switch and then i have to forget and re pair them

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I guess I'm lucky, my AirPods Pros have been rock solid, none of the issues you have reported. In fact, I am very sensitive to audio mis-sync, I have not experienced any problems with lag in this regards.

My only complaint is the lack of an application to set things like EQ and to be able to control which device it is connected to easily.

Lucky you :)

with wich kind of device do you use them?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
If you need to increase volume to 90% with ANC on you either have a defective set or you need to have your hearing checked. In reality though, I think they don’t fit you properly especially if they feel like their falling out. Mine fit my ears securely and never feel loose under any conditions. I use the large tips. You probably should return them.
I'm now leaning towards keeping. I think I have found a nice combo of medium tip in one ear and small in the problem ear. The convenience factor is huge to me.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Tryed again another display unit in a store: same weird behaviour. So, the point is that many (if not all the units) have this issue. Think it’s related to ios13

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I'm now leaning towards keeping. I think I have found a nice combo of medium tip in one ear and small in the problem ear. The convenience factor is huge to me.
I’ve been cycling the different sizes pretty much constantly since I got them. They weren’t falling out but my right ear always seemed looser than the left. I finally decided to try different sizes together and am currently liking one medium and one small. I haven’t worked out with them yet which will be the real test though.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I’ve decided to keep mine. I only listen to music while on occasional walks. I use them mainly to stream video and watch YouTube on my iPad while wife watches tv. Comfort and noise cancelling is most important to me and these are perfect for that.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Got a pair last night - they are going back today.

I'd been waiting on the holiday return period, but I don't need it.

I honestly feel bad. I should have gone with my gut on these. For around the house/casual situations, I just totally prefer the more open, light, airy feel of normal Airpods, including how easy and quickly I can pop them in/out.

Also - the walking thump is there as expected - bummer.

Oh well - I guess it was worth a try, but honestly I do feel bad about wasting a pair like this.

Sound quality was fine (it's not some panacea as some users here purport)...
Noise cancellation was very good - better than I excepted (in my limited testing that is)...
It's a pain to get them out of that case though I will say.

Seems like a great product if you don't mind the price and the in-ear concept appeals to you and your usage contexts.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
After a repurchase, I have returned the APP for a second and final time. I still recommend them to others. I have already purchased them as Xmas gifts for my siblings. But I feel their sound quality just isn't worth the price, and I was able to purchase a pair of Soundcore Liberty Air 2's that sound better than APP IMO and cost 60% less with a retail price of $100.

I really hope Apple can make a future model that sounds better and offer volume controls.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I had AirPod 2s and returned them the day after
I got them. Couldn't hear music or podcasts over crappy gym music. Didn't stay in my ears well enough to have confidence in it. Just got Pros today and it's such a different experience. They stay put well and the noise cancelling works like magic. I just switched it on and off for like a minute when I first put them in. Tried them out at the gym and they were great. Granted, I'm used to Shure IEMs, which you really have to shove in your ears. By comparison these are super easy to put in and take out. I love them.

Last edited:

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I was thinking about it because of fit issues on the right ear, but they're just so convenient. Gonna give it a bit more time.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I just received the pair I ordered from Costco 3 weeks ago. There’s a lot to like about them: they feel more secure, the different modes is nice and the force touch stem is cool, but... Why drop support for double tap? It’s sooo much easier to pause/play/answer calls vs squeezing a stem. Seems like a bad UI design decision. I’m also having issues with features like wireless charging, the force touch stopped working to enable noise cancellation but not play/pause and Apple Watch refuses to show their battery status.

Feels like a beta product to me, but I’ll give them the rest of the month to prove their worth before I make up my mind on whether or not to keep them. I haven’t even exercised in them yet and that will be a big factor in the decision.

Reactions: Glideslope

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

• many lag

Interesting post. I tried them on in store and ANC didn’t activate on one side.

Reactions: Jutah

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
I returned my AirPods Pro yesterday. The constant frustration of not getting them to seal was maddening. I am looking forward to the Bose 700 earbuds coming out next year. I have had QC20s in the past and they fit perfectly, plus the ANC on the Bose was far superior to the AirPod Pros.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I returned my AirPods Pro yesterday. The constant frustration of not getting them to seal was maddening. I am looking forward to the Bose 700 earbuds coming out next year. I have had QC20s in the past and they fit perfectly, plus the ANC on the Bose was far superior to the AirPod Pros.
I have the APP and will keep them for how seemlessly they work with all my Apple products but, am eagerly waiting for the Bose 700 ear buds.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I just gifted the unopened AirPods Pro I bought last week to the neighbor's daughter downstairs. The kid has been super patient with me not always being the most understanding neighbor. More importantly, she's studying to be a teacher, so I think that's awesome.

I am grateful for having a good family living below us (though we're both in agreement the basement tenant sucks. Hopefully the daughter can use the ANC to block out some of this tenant's bs).

May they be be a perfect fit and work nicely for her.

Earbuds rarely fit my ears and I did not want to have to charge something else, so it was an impulse buy but am glad to do this instead of returning yet another Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.