Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you still use iOS 6?

• Yes

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
It's even worst when the App Store has no way to search based on iOS version. You look for apps and try to download them only to find it doesn't work with your OS.

I looked all over for a WiFi phone for the iPT that will works with iOS 6. It sucks. I found a way to get Skype to load, but it didn't work and Skype "customer service" (if you want to call it customer service :D)... said to upgrade my OS.

This can't sit well with all the people that made Apple rich, and then get dumped or forced to spend more money?

Reactions: smacrumon

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
You jelly yet? :p

iOS 6 is sexy on the iPad air 2 and iPhone 6S!!

image.jpg2_zpsllmtso5d.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsmj174ugd.jpg

Reactions: Feyl

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's even worst when the App Store has no way to search based on iOS version. You look for apps and try to download them only to find it doesn't work with your OS.

I looked all over for a WiFi phone for the iPT that will works with iOS 6. It sucks. I found a way to get Skype to load, but it didn't work and Skype "customer service" (if you want to call it customer service :D)... said to upgrade my OS.

This can't sit well with all the people that made Apple rich, and then get dumped or forced to spend more money?

In an actual real world situation, someone would have downloaded a copy of Skype for iOS 6 years and years ago.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
In an actual real world situation, someone would have downloaded a copy of Skype for iOS 6 years and years ago.
Skype for me on iOS 6 works just fine. Are you guys having bad issues with it?

As for apps, yes it's annoying, but iOS 6 does what I need it to do. My favorite app i have installed on it is YouTube v1.3. It's old, but it works great, looks great, and in my opinion works better than the newer versions. For it to be so old it works perfectly and that's because YouTube.com hasn't really changed except for images and a flat UI. (Btw you can't get this version from the App Store unless you are on iOS 5)
image.jpg

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I found a post through a google search that found a way to get Skype for iOS 6 on my iPT.

The problem I had was during a login. I wouldn't let me create an account, so I called tech support and all they could tell me is to upgrade my OS.

I don't remember the process, but i went thru it and it installed Skype, but during the login process it would keep running in circles.

Come to think of it, it might have worked if I used something else to create the account, then logged in. Maybe I'll look it up and try again.
[doublepost=1462001878][/doublepost]
Skype for me on iOS 6 works just fine. Are you guys having bad issues with it?

As for apps, yes it's annoying, but iOS 6 does what I need it to do. My favorite app i have installed on it is YouTube v1.3. It's old, but it works great, looks great, and in my opinion works better than the newer versions. For it to be so old it works perfectly and that's because YouTube.com hasn't really changed except for images and a flat UI. (Btw you can't get this version from the App Store unless you are on iOS 5)
View attachment 629338
Ok, I found the link to get the older app. IIRC, you have to install Skype 1st on something, then the App Store will think you once had Skype.

Then you go to the App Store and it'll ask if you want to download an older version. That gets Skype on the device.

So here's where I am with it.
1. I have Skype WiFi on my iPT 4.
2. I have a Skype account setup.
3. I run Skype WiFi and it goes to a login screen.
4. I log in and it goes to a screen saying "you're already online next time you're on the go, use Skype WiFi to get online at over 1 million locations worldwide" with a settings button and "learn more" at the bottom.

The screen keeps refreshing. If I'm very quick, I can get into settings, but it quickly goes back to the "you're already online" screen.

Sometimes I can log out and start the process over again, but when I go into it's settings screen, it only stays there for a second before it goes back to the "you're already online"

So I go into the main settings of the device and turn off WiFi. This allows me to go back in and get into the Skype settings.

Version is 1.41
Usage is 0 and it says 'never' under last used.

Any help would be great, I could really use this.

The two screen the keep flashing back and forth are "you're already connected" and "Please wait... checking network for Skype WiFi"

I'm using the WiFi at home and it's working very well on the device to get weather, stocks, etc. Only Skype seems to be having a problem.

Update: I just made a Microsoft account and tried that. I login using MS and it asks me to sign into Skype. I use the same name / password as before and it comes back with "SkyLib::AUTH_RESULT_GENERIC" Dismiss, alert.

Maybe there's something wrong with the Skype sign in, but I've triple checked that it's the same sign in as when I don't use the MS account method.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Update:
I just confirmed on my Mac, my Skype account settings (name/password). Changed the password and the Skype WiFi on the iPT is still doing the same thing.

BTW, I noticed the 'plans' on Skype. I thought Skype WiFi was free to use, why do they have all the usage plans?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
+1
This is one of the problems with "devices". The device (PC, Smartphone, tablet...) has an OS and the manufacture (Apple, MS, etc) wants the OS the be the focus or at least part of the focus.

That's where things break down, many people don't get a dam about the OS. They care about the software (apps). To the user, they hold something (iPhone, Lenovo, Samsung,...) it has an OS and then the apps.

The main thing the user cares about are the apps. As long as the device and the OS do their job well (fast, functional, etc...) they don't care.

I was pissed when so many apps no longer supported < iOS7.

Apple has such pride in their upgrade rate, yet they seem to forget that they are reaching the point of "is it really worth upgrading for" as their sales for the first time in 13 years, didn't grow.

If they continue down this path, they'll continue to slow.
One of the reasons why supporting < iOS7 has taken hold is due to Xcode Swift not supporting the creation of apps for iOS6 or lower. As a developer I was keen to support 6, but Swift simply doesn't support it which is unfortunate.
[doublepost=1462089323][/doublepost]
You jelly yet? :p

iOS 6 is sexy on the iPad air 2 and iPhone 6S!!

image.jpg2_zpsllmtso5d.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsmj174ugd.jpg
How's that even possible? Jail broken or a more straightforward way of installing it?

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
One of the reasons why supporting < iOS7 has taken hold is due to Xcode Swift not supporting the creation of apps for iOS6 or lower. As a developer I was keen to support 6, but Swift simply doesn't support it which is unfortunate.
How's that even possible? Jail broken or a more straightforward way of installing it?
This always reminds me of one of the talks Steve Jobs gave years ago about the iPT and how many millions were sold.
Think about all those great devices out there that now get crappy support because they've been left behind for no reason.

There's also the issue that most of the world lives on < $2/day and buying a new device that cost more than they make in several months isn't an option.

Reactions: nordique

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Use it everyday!! I use it on my iPad 4 and iPhone 4S. With that said here is an article I wrote a few weeks ago about iOS that points out good key points about why 6 and older were better than the newer ones.

Today while I had some free time in Biology, I decided to look at the iPad Pro as possibly my new iPad. I scrolled and looked at the previews then I got to the part about iOS 9. It says "A better experience with every touch. iOS 9 is the world’s most advanced, intuitive, and secure mobile operating system. From powerful multitasking features to Night Shift and News, iOS 9 is designed to help you get the most out of iPad." I was one inch away from tipping over in my chair laughing. iOS used to be able to hold its ground like Apple said before iOS 7, but now you just can't say that iOS is better than iOS 6 and older. The experience is dead and Apple is struggling like crazy trying to optimize it to run better.
Ever since John Forstall was fired from supposed "complications" working with him, which I believe was him not wanting to get rid of the graphical design he made for OS X and iOS with Steve Jobs in exchange for a flat design. Everyone else says it was from him not apologizing for Apple maps which I can't confirm because I've never talked to him and I live on the other side of the country. I've heard many things about why he was fired so I really can't say too much. Anyway, Jonathan Ive has taken over software design and now manages both Industrial and Graphical design. With Ive now in charge, we were given iOS 7 with a new design and an over simplified UI. Now every app you open, you are blinded with a white UI that looks like it's fresh out of the 80s with app icons that barely match the content of the app at all. Ive said he wanted to contain consistency and that skeuomorphic real looking textures were no longer necessary as for he said everyone knows how to use their iDevice now. What he didn't realize is that skeuomorphism contains consistency but allows for different user interfaces to tie together at the same time by using the same style of design. He also didn't realize that pretty much everyone liked the old design and didn't care about a change to a flat design. Most people that I talked to after iOS 7 came out said that they wish they could go back because they absolutely hated it. I went back and I didn't regret it at all. I still use iOS 6 every day on my main iPad and my old iPhone 4S.
Have you ever wondered why the nice finger tips quick start guide is no longer included with iDevices, and all you get is a piece of paper telling you what the buttons do? Its because there is absolutely nothing to show off in iOS. It's almost embarrassing how crummy the UI looks. They can't really show how an app looks and functions because THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
angry.png

Wondering why your iDevice is running slowly, well I believe I have an answer for that. iOS 7 and up uses stylesheets much like CSS files for websites. The processor has to generate the UI from the ground up as soon as you open an app and that also applies to notification center, control center, and spotlight search, but you don't have to worry about those because iOS generates the style for those when your booted into iOS.
iOS 6 and older didn't use stylesheets in that fashion. iOS was image based and made the UI much like layers. The navigation bars, background, buttons, etc, were cropped and put into the appropriate spots via a stylesheet pointing out where they are supposed to be.
On a moderately powered device, having to generate the UI from the ground up takes a HUGE chunk out of performance. It's ridiculous, my iPhone 4S almost five years old on iOS 6 can perform just as well as my new iPhone 6S.
So what can be concluded here? Well iOS has become a lifeless, unprofessional looking, goofy, displeasing, buggy, laggy, and clunky operating system with too much blinding white UIs and pointless and obtrusive Gaussian blurs that only bog down your device. Jony Ive just doesn't understand that you can't just load down the processor and expect good performance, even on a more powerful device. He makes great device designs (except for the iPhone 6), but he can't do graphical design all to well... or at least efficiently.

Seriously though...
View attachment 629297

Hmm... What a shame...
I kinda understood and could sympathize with your sentiment. Then you posted the icons. Everything they left out were distractions that didn't even make sense. Clouds in the mail app? A lense is a part, not a thing; a tear-off date pad is not a calendar, etc.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I kinda understood and could sympathize with your sentiment. Then you posted the icons. Everything they left out were distractions that didn't even make sense. Clouds in the mail app? A lense is a part, not a thing; a tear-off date pad is not a calendar, etc.

because this is really what I would draw for something that takes 4K video or slow motion footage :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 03.31.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 03.31.59 PM.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 493

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
because this is really what I would draw for something that takes 4K video or slow motion footage :confused:
Indeed, you're right. That's a design problem right there.

I never "got" that some things are a design problem until I heard it explained with the "save" icon. In many applications it still looks like a 3,5 inch disk. For me, that made sense. Skueumorphism worked in that case. For anyone under 20 it's just the "save" icon tho (skueuemorphism not beneficial anymore) and for younger people it's even a problem. It's not even logical to them, you have to explain the use, AND the reasoning.

That's why those things seem backwards to older and forward to younger.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
OH PLEASE. :rolleyes: We have two of the 4th generation iPod Touch devices in our house. One is in pieces, the other one has a cracked screen. But those had been in use since 2011, were owned by a 9 year-old who is now 14 and uses an iPhone 6 (and before that the 5C). I know someone else who had a 4th generation and when it got stuck on iOS 6, threw the "left behind" card and now has gone through maybe ten Android and Windows Phone devices that cost them more than just upgrading to a 5th generation.

The only reason my dad upgraded was because he was getting sick and tired of dealing with the power button on his 4 that hadn't worked in a year. The only thing he does on his phone is take pictures, check his email (in the web browser), send messages, call people, maps, read the news (again, in the browser), and listen to music. I know of a few others who still have the 4 but just don't want to upgrade.

10,000 of the 4th generations have been put on eBay since the beginning of this year. There's about 500 of them sitting on Amazon.

The iPod Touch had shifted 100 million units up to 2013, and the majority of them being in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, and Mexico. The biggest percentage being in those first three - 46.5 million in the US alone according to the documents they had to release in the Samsung dispute.

Steve Jobs died before iOS 6 even came out. And before that, he had left the "perfectly still fine" iPhone 2G to not get the iOS 4 upgrade.

I've been in and out of college for years now, and I've always noticed that pretty much no one has iOS devices or any of the top of the line Android phones, and the majority of laptops I see aren't MacBooks. I didn't even see people with tablets two years ago, people were still carrying around paper versions of books even.

So I don't buy that someone living on $2/day even has this problem considering a lot of people doing a lot better aren't buying these things either. In fact I only ever see people who have a $2,000 15" MacBook Pro, a $499 iPad Air, an on-contract iPhone 6S, cable TV/high speed internet, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc complain about having to upgrade, their devices getting slow, and the pricing.

---

RE: The Save icon - That's probably the excuse for having auto-save in most things now. :p "But then we have to have a floppy icon on our smartphone/tablet app!"

Reactions: nordique

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Shhh.... its a secret... :apple:

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
2 iPhone 5's, iOS 6.1.4, although i don't use them. However, 2 iPads with iOS 5, locked out of the iPad 2 (will remember the password someday) but still use the 3 for schoolwork ;)

On the dark side using Android because i'm Chinese but i was locally born and a Chinese using an iPhone at my school=recent immigrant from China with a lot of money :(

EDIT: I owned the white Canadian model since new (from 2013, I was in 8th grade back then, in my area it's the first year of high school in case anyone wonders, switched from a Samsung S3 because their phones back then were trash) and only recently acquired the slate Verizon phone off the Seattle craigslist because i ended up liking the color (although i still like white, currently gold)
[doublepost=1462331132][/doublepost]
iOS 6 is the best version IMO. I hate 7, 8 and 9.

iOS 7 was, well, the last "usable" version... although iOS 6 was clearly the best out of all the versions with its performance and refinement. Used to have a 5s with iOS 7, updated it to 8 being a dumbass and missed the rollback window, sold it right away, went back to my 5 on iOS6 until Snapchat stopped working, went to the dark side after that
[doublepost=1462331699][/doublepost]
I'm still on 6 too! Too much BS in the later versions and it looks a lot nicer/user friendly.

Take for instance the volume changer bar on videos - in iOS6, it is dark and thus a lot more transparent against a video picture. In all later versions, it is light, opaque and pretty much obscures the video. Doh, videos usually contain a lot more light than dark. Whouda thought that - surely not Jonny Ive.

Little things like this (and some big ones like the whole skeumorphic design) make me a happy 6 camper. :)

Speaking of volume changer bars, the circle on the slider type no longer centers at halfway, pisses me off

John Forstall

Pretty sure his name is Scott

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iOS 7 was, well, the last "usable" version... although iOS 6 was clearly the best out of all the versions with its performance and refinement. Used to have a 5s with iOS 7, updated it to 8 being a dumbass and missed the rollback window, sold it right away, went back to my 5 on iOS6 until Snapchat stopped working, went to the dark side after that
Sadly, I no longer own any iOS 6 devices. Both my wife's iPhone 5 and mine were updated up the chain due to various unfortunate circumstances.

And now we own the 6s series which is 9.0 at the minimum.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
2 iPhone 5's, iOS 6.1.4, although i don't use them. However, 2 iPads with iOS 5, locked out of the iPad 2 (will remember the password someday) but still use the 3 for schoolwork ;)

On the dark side using Android because i'm Chinese but i was locally born and a Chinese using an iPhone at my school=recent immigrant from China with a lot of money :(

EDIT: I owned the white Canadian model since new (from 2013, I was in 8th grade back then, in my area it's the first year of high school in case anyone wonders, switched from a Samsung S3 because their phones back then were trash) and only recently acquired the slate Verizon phone off the Seattle craigslist because i ended up liking the color (although i still like white, currently gold)
[doublepost=1462331132][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1462331699][/doublepost]

Speaking of volume changer bars, the circle on the slider type no longer centers at halfway, pisses me off

Pretty sure his name is Scott
OH MY GOD!! It is Scott! How in the world did I screw that up. :confused:

Anyway... iOS 6 plus iOS 9 switcher equals awesomeness!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
How do you have both?
[doublepost=1462333705][/doublepost]Also, my old phone is an Iphone 5 on Ios 6.1. I still think that phone on that software works better than my Iphone 6 on 9.1! I swear. It's faster for texting, which I do a lot of, and it never hangs! The Iphone 6, sometimes when you click on a text message thread, it will hang for 5 seconds before it will open the thread. I'm a power user, and it happens a few times a day and is annoying. I think ios 6.1 worked better for texting and sending sms with pictures. You guys agree?

Now, the only issue with the iphone 5 is, I have this error:

sms-full-mailbox.png

and I can't get rid of it! Help

Last edited:

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
How do you have both?
Looks like it was made in photoshop, notice the status bars on the apps? they're supposed to disappear when you open the switcher.
[doublepost=1462333794][/doublepost]
OH MY GOD!! It is Scott! How in the world did I screw that up. :confused:

Anyway... iOS 6 plus iOS 9 switcher equals awesomeness!

View attachment 629975
I wish Apple will incorporate themes into iOS X (that's what i call it) with a Classic theme based on iOS 6's design. Would stick with my current Droid for a few more years but that might be a reason i'll go back to iPhone if i want to.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
If they continue down this path, they'll continue to slow.

They're gonna' slow because they cannot physically sell an iPhone to every man, woman, and child out there. If iOS's switch to a flat aesthetic and dropping support for old models was the reason for their downfall we wouldn't have seen quarter after quarter of massive growth for the past few years.

iOS 7 was released coming up on three years ago. Why was there such a lag if it's the causal factor?

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
They're gonna' slow because they cannot physically sell an iPhone to every man, woman, and child out there. If iOS's switch to a flat aesthetic and dropping support for old models was the reason for their downfall we wouldn't have seen quarter after quarter of massive growth for the past few years.

iOS 7 was released coming up on three years ago. Why was there such a lag if it's the causal factor?

Yes. Right now, iPhone has threats like the Galaxy S7 and some upcoming competing products, and not everyone has the preference for iPhone. Also, there might be people switching to those competing products from iPhones due to the new features and specs they offer over the iPhone 6s which came out coming up to a year ago.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
well in your sig it says jailbroken, do you at least have some usability tweaks and iOS 6 theme installed?
I have a little over 160 tweaks installed, but no iOS 6 themes. The problem is that I themed iOS 6 itself darker when I was on it. Doing that to a current theme on iOS 9 would just get messy and probably break.

So, I use Eclipse 3 to get rid of the unicorn color puke.

iOS 6.1/iPhone 5

1025347_661240927226263_1714296162_o.jpg

Now, iOS 9.0.2/iPhone 6s+

2016-05-03 20.49.59.png

As you may deduce, I don't change much up over time. :D

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Looks like it was made in photoshop, notice the status bars on the apps? they're supposed to disappear when you open the switcher.
[doublepost=1462333794][/doublepost]
I wish Apple will incorporate themes into iOS X (that's what i call it) with a Classic theme based on iOS 6's design. Would stick with my current Droid for a few more years but that might be a reason i'll go back to iPhone if i want to.
I have it set to show the status bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.