Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you still use iOS 6?

• Yes

Votes: 56 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
They're gonna' slow because they cannot physically sell an iPhone to every man, woman, and child out there. If iOS's switch to a flat aesthetic and dropping support for old models was the reason for their downfall we wouldn't have seen quarter after quarter of massive growth for the past few years.

iOS 7 was released coming up on three years ago. Why was there such a lag if it's the causal factor?
I don't think the slowdown is because of little support < iOS 6, I think the slowdown is because they can't make a phone so much better than the current best that people will want to buy it.

About the only things I can see them adding that'll make it better is a usable edge where the screen wraps over one edge. Battery live going up by a good amount (even if it has to be a bit thicker. Much better front camera, they've always shorted the front camera, yet people seem to use it just as much, if not more.

After that, what more do people need to have in order to upgrade.

The lack of support for < iOS 6, really hurts Apple in the poor nations. Poor nations have excellent choices in Android, no choices in Apple, even on the used market. Apple could have supported iOS 6 and had a strong foothold in the software/services in poor countries that could use the 100's of millions of < iOS6 devices.

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
About the only things I can see them adding that'll make it better is a usable edge where the screen wraps over one edge. Battery live going up by a good amount (even if it has to be a bit thicker. Much better front camera, they've always shorted the front camera, yet people seem to use it just as much, if not more.
The usable edge is possible with AMOLED and already exists on Android-powered competitors from Samsung and BlackBerry. Especially the Samsung which currently is a threat to the iPhone. I would love to see what Apple would do with their implementation, if they ever do. Also the battery life would be a great selling point, it's one thing everyone wants from phones regardless of whether the battery is sealed inside or not. As for the front camera, 5mp is a bit potato-ish so at least 8mp would be a good improvement...

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
The usable edge is possible with AMOLED and already exists on Android-powered competitors from Samsung and BlackBerry. Especially the Samsung which currently is a threat to the iPhone. I would love to see what Apple would do with their implementation, if they ever do. Also the battery life would be a great selling point, it's one thing everyone wants from phones regardless of whether the battery is sealed inside or not. As for the front camera, 5mp is a bit potato-ish so at least 8mp would be a good improvement...
I wonder if Apple is actually sand-bagging. Think about this. Apple already has all the tech (or access to it) for all of these things. If they put out an iPhone 7 with all these things, would that be the end of Apple? Would that kill the iPhone 8?

The edge is an awesome idea, but I'd like to see anything on the edge where the fingers can be rotated to control things like app switching.

I don't know what kind of hand gymnastics a person would have to do, but multi-tasking is going to be a big issue with mobile very soon. Task switching with unused finger(s) would be awesome if they can get it right. Maybe even a programmable rocker switch type thing.

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
I wonder if Apple is actually sand-bagging. Think about this. Apple already has all the tech (or access to it) for all of these things. If they put out an iPhone 7 with all these things, would that be the end of Apple? Would that kill the iPhone 8?

The edge is an awesome idea, but I'd like to see anything on the edge where the fingers can be rotated to control things like app switching.

I don't know what kind of hand gymnastics a person would have to do, but multi-tasking is going to be a big issue with mobile very soon. Task switching with unused finger(s) would be awesome if they can get it right. Maybe even a programmable rocker switch type thing.
New features to these existing ideas is what i'm looking for. I wouldn't want to see them just copy the edge from the Androids and throw the new iphone out into the market with old features. Copy, and improve on it to make something new and unique. Of course, new innovations would be even better than copying and improving on existing things.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
New features to these existing ideas is what i'm looking for. I wouldn't want to see them just copy the edge from the Androids and throw the new iphone out into the market with old features. Copy, and improve on it to make something new and unique. Of course, new innovations would be even better than copying and improving on existing things.
Something completely new would be more of invention than innovation.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
well invention is a must for innovation
Well, I guess chicken and the egg type of thing. But, sure, except that something can be invited by someone and innovated by someone else, both don't necessarily have to be done by the same person/entity.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've gone back to using it- coming from an iP6S with 9.3, beta4. I don't know for how long, but for now- I am enjoying the experience. It's soothing (albeit, bit annoying at some of the apps I like are not longer applicable).

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I've gone back to using it- coming from an iP6S with 9.3, beta4. I don't know for how long, but for now- I am enjoying the experience. It's soothing (albeit, bit annoying at some of the apps I like are not longer applicable).
What are you using it on?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
An open box, brand new iPhone5 I was fortunate enough to pick off of eBay (without photos- took a chance).
Smooth as silk.

BVxgWUw.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
An open box, brand new iPhone5 I was fortunate enough to pick off of eBay (without photos- took a chance).
Smooth as silk.

BVxgWUw.png
What particular version is that? I'm guessing FaceTime doesn't work?

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Never, ever jailbreak! it'll be worth more without it!
Doesn't really matter if the jailbreak can easily be removed. There are tools in cydia that can remove the jailbreak. I'm not sure if these tools clean the file system and restore it to stock though.

This especially doesn't matter if you are on an iPhone 4S or iPad 2 (2011 models), as for you can still restore to 6.1.3 using OTA blobs from Apple instead of local SHSH blobs.

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
Doesn't really matter if the jailbreak can easily be removed. There are tools in cydia that can remove the jailbreak. I'm not sure if these tools clean the file system and restore it to stock though.

This especially doesn't matter if you are on an iPhone 4S or iPad 2 (2011 models), as for you can still restore to 6.1.3 using OTA blobs from Apple instead of local SHSH blobs.
not on the iPhone 5. Cydia Impactor only works on iOS 8+ and i believe ARM64 devices only. never jailbroke so don't know. (hell i don't even root my samsung phone)

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
not on the iPhone 5. Cydia Impactor only works on iOS 8+ and i believe ARM64 devices only. never jailbroke so don't know. (hell i don't even root my samsung phone)
There's always been tools for older firmwares. That's why I mentioned that. I was already well aware of Cydia Impactor incompatabilities on iOS 6.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I kinda understood and could sympathize with your sentiment. Then you posted the icons. Everything they left out were distractions that didn't even make sense. Clouds in the mail app? A lense is a part, not a thing; a tear-off date pad is not a calendar, etc.
If you think about it, the icons made perfect sense. Clouds in the mail icon, it's email so it goes through the clouds to the person you are sending it to. The calendar, a date tear pad as a small calendar to show the date and day, open it and you get a bigger calendar to write notes on. The lens in the camera icon, look at the back of the iPhone 2G then look at the icon. The camera icon matches the camera module on the back of that phone. People barely use a dedicated camera anymore, they use their phones, so the iOS 6 camera icon makes perfect sense. The iOS 7 camera icon is like the floppy disk save icon. We know what it is and what it does, but we don't use them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: R2FX

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016

Vancity Fob

macrumors newbie
Just got a iPad Mini 1, LTE, 16GB, black/slate. It was brand new, still sealed, I just opened it and it has 6.1.3.

Also, after my discovery (purely by accident, helping someone run an errand) of iPod Touch 5th gens in a local Toys R Us, later going deliberately to others and finding more (there were also some 4th gens with iOS 4 or 5) in every color and capacity made still in stock I sadly missed out on the opportunity to buy myself a black/slate one that I was eying because I told a collector I knew and it seems that all the collectors in my area went to raid every TRU in the region for these iPods... I checked a few and all that's left are some iOS 7 5th gens and a lot of 6th gens.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Just got a iPad Mini 1, LTE, 16GB, black/slate. It was brand new, still sealed, I just opened it and it has 6.1.3.

Also, after my discovery (purely by accident, helping someone run an errand) of iPod Touch 5th gens in a local Toys R Us, later going deliberately to others and finding more (there were also some 4th gens with iOS 4 or 5) in every color and capacity made still in stock I sadly missed out on the opportunity to buy myself a black/slate one that I was eying because I told a collector I knew and it seems that all the collectors in my area went to raid every TRU in the region for these iPods... I checked a few and all that's left are some iOS 7 5th gens and a lot of 6th gens.
Yep, that always happens. I want to get a Black and Slate iPhone 5 32GB new, but my parents (that monitor my purchases and such) won't let me get one because I already have a phone. "It's a collectors item mom, chill out!" Lol. I guess this 4S will do lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.